Colts Owner Jim Irsay gets Probation, Suspended 6 Games

26CornerBlitz

I agree John. I'm just saying that a League suspension serves no purpose in and of itself for this guy. It's for show.

It serves the public good in that it will for a short term put a stop to his interminable stupid tweets. Maybe breaking all of his knuckles so that he couldn't tap out his never ending inane tweets from his expensive device would have been an appropriate punishment. I'm not against corporal punishment if it serves the public.

Edited by JohnC

Should have made him sell the team. What the hell is $500,000 to him? What is the nfl going to do with his money?

$500,000 is the max per the CBA they can fine, and the suspension was in line with what they could do. They donate the money from fines. I wish they had the ability to really fine him with proceeds for the entire six games which would have been good in the neighborhood or $10,000,000, but they can't do it.

The wallet is the only way along with the shame of it to punish an owner. They can't take away competitive advantages like a draft pick given his offense is not for a competitive advantage.

A better punishment would be to make all Colts home game tickets to be 50% off this season, and if you are a Colts season ticket holder you get the choice of: a) Getting a half a refund on your tickets this year, or, b) In lieu of a refund this year you get half of your season tickets credited for next year.

That will make Irsay see the light.

What is the point of "suspending" an owner? Is he suspended from owning the team? Is he suspended from making a profit for 8 games?

So what--- he can't come to the game and watch from his luxbox? Big deal. He can get hammered and stay in his mansion and watch.

I don't drink or do drugs. That said, I agree with you and moreover I think this is the dumbest thing the NFL has ever done. Why, do people think it is alright for the NFL to add consequences onto what the judicial system thinks is appropriate? And why would anyone support a second level outside the justice system for additional penalties?

Would anyone expect their employer to fine them if they are arrested? Would anyone expect their employer to suspend them if they were arrested?

I don't drink or do drugs. That said, I agree with you and moreover I think this is the dumbest thing the NFL has ever done. Why, do people think it is alright for the NFL to add consequences onto what the judicial system thinks is appropriate? And why would anyone support a second level outside the justice system for additional penalties?

Would anyone expect their employer to fine them if they are arrested? Would anyone expect their employer to suspend them if they were arrested?

There are plenty of jobs that hold their employees accountable for off the job behavior. If you get in trouble off the job in most public sector jobs you will face on the job consequences. A policeman, teacher, principal, soldier, lawyer, doctor etc. can face trouble from their employers and oversight boards, ex legal and medical licensing board.

There are also plenty of companies that won't tolerate unacceptable off the job behavior from their employees if it discredits the organization it works for.