Other news

VABills

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not saying this to brag or belittle but I've forgotten more about the subject of this thread than you guys will ever know.

220454[/snapback]

I seriously doubt it... You clearly don't know the history or caliber of a good many of the people that post here.

Thanks for the links but a lot of that stuff isn't exactly worthy of front page news. Some artillery guys win a competition to be the fastest firing howitzer over there and I am sure some people find that pretty interesting but the general public isn't really very interested in something like that. I don't think there is a liberal media conspiracy to hide the truth of unit v. unit competition results. The nature of the beast is that a car bomb killing a bunch of Iraqi police or US soldiers or civilians or some combination thereof is going to get headlines while briefly detaining 14 "suspected" insurgents, confiscating some weapons, cell phones and cash and unit competition results are hardly going to be noticed.

Look, I want things to go well over there. I want the "insurgents" dead, our guys home and a peaceful, prosperous Iraq going strong. I don't care if that results in a Republican majority from now until the end of time. As bad as I want things to go well over there, I am not willing to just pretend they are and dismiss all news to the contrary as biased or incomplete. I appreciate those links but in my opinion they don't really shed any light on whether this war is being botched or not.

A peaceful Iraq was one of our goals. Iraq is not peaceful. The interim grade is F or better, "incomplete". So far so bad but it isn't over yet. Plenty of time to get it turned around.

So you come back and that is your only input.

220724[/snapback]

Yup.

Thought about it some more, and decided that trying to discuss the short term vs long term strategic goals at the interface of homeland defense and the global war on terror, and where Iraq fits into that, probably wouldn't bear much fruit. For example, it might be hard to get across the point that a short term strategic goal just might be to create conditions by which it is difficult if not impossible for the transnational terrorist to execute an attack plan within the United States, and how this might be occurring right now. How a longer term strategic goal is to completely upset the balance in the middle east and east asia-as that is the only practical way, and first step, to modify the current status quo of the region's socio-political situation in the long term.

It doesn't fit the enlightened emotionalism and basis of expertise of this board.

Yup.

Thought about it some more, and decided that trying to discuss the short term vs long term strategic goals at the interface of homeland defense and the global war on terror, and where Iraq fits into that, probably wouldn't bear much fruit. For example, it might be hard to get across the point that a short term strategic goal just might be to create conditions by which it is difficult if not impossible for the transnational terrorist to execute an attack plan within the United States, and how this might be occurring right now. How a longer term strategic goal is to completely upset the balance in the middle east and east asia-as that is the only practical way, and first step, to modify the current status quo of the region's socio-political situation in the long term.

It doesn't fit the enlightened emotionalism and basis of expertise of this board.

220931[/snapback]

The problem is. Most people have watched far too many movies and see situation popup, the fight and the end result all in a 2 hour time frame. If it lasts longer then that and they can't see their "heroes" in the next action flick next year, they lose interest.

Yup.

220931[/snapback]

Um.....uh.......um......BUSH LIED!!!!

Yup.

220931[/snapback]

Quagmire? Anyone? Quagmire?

How about exit strategy? No mention of exit strategy.

Let's see, what is another soundbite I can toss in here...Ooooh

This is another Vietnam!!!!

Quagmire?  Anyone?  Quagmire?

How about exit strategy? No mention of exit strategy.

Let's see, what is another soundbite I can toss in here...Ooooh

This is another Vietnam!!!!

221031[/snapback]

Though honestly, an exit strategy is necessary. If you don't have a clear idea of how to wind up a situation, you're really going into it without a clear mission and goals.

Note, though, that I said it's necessary. I didn't say we don't have one. At worst, I'd say I haven't yet heard one clearly expressed.

Though honestly, an exit strategy is necessary.  If you don't have a clear idea of how to wind up a situation, you're really going into it without a clear mission and goals.

Note, though, that I said it's necessary.  I didn't say we don't have one.  At worst, I'd say I haven't yet heard one clearly expressed.

221092[/snapback]

I’m sure they have lots of hypotheticals, but there’s no way they’re going to get released to the media or the public, for fear of complete and utter embarrassment when it doesn’t go according to plan. Ala………