Alex VanPelt to Dolphins

obie_wan

AVP on radio was great. I liked the knowledge as well as him being a homer fan. Made me feel closer to the game than a lot of stiff play-by-players do.

Hate to see him go to the Fish. Can't RW and TD find some development role for him in the Bills organization?

If Saban is so desperate he would fill a position as CRITICAL as OC with a guy having absolutely NO coaching credentials whatsoever, the situation is worse in Miami than we thought.

Interviewing is one thing but I would be shocked if he actually GOT the job.

220441[/snapback]

I don't believe the OC position was implied. Usually, the Quality Control position goes to an ex-player with smarts, who doesn't have previous coaching experience. That was Mularkeys first job, working for Sam Wyche in Tampa Bay. It's probably something along those lines.

i'd like to see TD, MM, & co do kinda what we did with LeBeau last year.

Sam Wyche is a former Head Coach who has taken a team to a Super Bowl and yet is only our QB coach. Do with him what we did with LeBeau, make him something like "Assistant Offensive Coordinator" or something and give the QB coach job to AVP. its basicly what he was doing his last couple years with us anyway

I don't believe the OC position was implied. Usually, the Quality Control position goes to an ex-player with smarts, who doesn't have previous coaching experience. That was Mularkeys first job, working for Sam Wyche in Tampa Bay. It's probably something along those lines.

220471[/snapback]

Yep. Scott Lineham (sp?), Vikings OC last year, is the Felons new OC.

Dammit AVP, i always liked you, (and still do)...i wish you the best in your coaching career as you are gonna be one of the good ones, and maybe we'll see you on the Bills sidelines as HC after Mularkey retires upon winning his 5th SB title...

but, it's miami AVP, so i still hafta say :I starred in Brokeback Mountain: AVP

He was excellent at explaining the formations and various plays. He was just too loyal to his ex-mates and quick to cut off Murph if he made a critical observation concerning one of the Bills players. That became painfully obvious during every broadcast.

I still like the guy and wish him the best.

220270[/snapback]

I guess my response to your problem with AVP is, so what. Use your own judgement to decide if a player makes a mistake. Why rely on the "color" guy's comments? Does that somehow validate/invalidate your own opinions?

I thought Alex did a great job of explaining plays, as you mention. He also had a nice, relaxed style and good sense of humor for a radio "rookie." He was a "homer" and it was kind of fun to hear him cheering when the team did well. If he didn't blast Drew from time to time, well, whoop-di-do (that's what TSW is for!).

As a former radio person, I can tell you it's difficult to be as critical as you'd like to be for a variety of reasons - not the least of which is most of the guys are your friends and there are few people capable of taking public criticism from anyone (even their friends).

AVP was far more interesting than Murph was in his role as a color guy. The fact that he was a homer didn't bother me, since I am too. :lol:

As a former radio person, I can tell you it's difficult to be as critical as you'd like to be for a variety of reasons - not the least of which is most of the guys are your friends and there are few people capable of taking public criticism from anyone (even their friends).

AVP was far more interesting than Murph was in his role as a color guy.  The fact that he was a homer didn't bother me, since I am too. :lol:

220569[/snapback]

Although I never got to hear Van Pelt do an entire game (only highlights on ESPN or Fox Sports radio) the fact that he was a homer does not surprise me, or make me think he sucked! If I am not mistaken, Van Pelt was an employee of the Buffalo Bills, so it would only make sense that they would try to have someone who isn't overly critical of the home team. You hear about it all of the time, radio guys, getting canned for being too critical of the local team. Personally, I love hearing old highlights of Donnie Most (I think that was his name, my memory sucks!) doing Boston Celtics games, or the guy who does the local Steelers broadcasts. It makes me feel much more in tune with the game, on the radio, than say, Boomer Esiason and Marv Albert doing the monday night games.

As far as AVP working for the Dolphins, it is always jarring to see a popular player so associated with your favorite team, but you get over it. I remember watching Joe Ferguson (my idol growing up) play a Thanksgiving day game as a Detroit Lion. I was pulling for him, and could have given a crap about the Lions, but it just felt odd. Big difference is, if the phins do hire him, Van Pelt could probably do more damage to the Bills from the Dolphins sidelines, than from behind center....

I mostly agree with you, but I think you are a little off on the "ESPN crew of flunkies."  Assuming you are talking about the television crew, they are very good at breaking down games, superior to any other televison crew on the national outlets.  I know a lot can't stand Theisman and Maguire, but they know their stuff, especially Maguire....

220435[/snapback]

Obviously it's just a preference but I can't stand ESPN's TV guys. It really seems like their intent with every game is to point out star players and tell us why we should like them - over and over. I don't find them interesting at all and I never feel like I'm getting any insight.

Obviously it's just a preference but I can't stand ESPN's TV guys.  It really seems like their intent with every game is to point out star players and tell us why we should like them - over and over.  I don't find them interesting at all and I never feel like I'm getting any insight.

220652[/snapback]

Are you talking about just ESPN in general, or just the guys who do their games (Patrick, Theisman and Maguire)? I agree Theisman can be a little repetitive sometime in praising QB's, but Maguire is really good at explaining plays. The biggest problem is that sometimes Theisman talks too much between plays, and Maguire does not get a chance to make his entire point. Theisman has improved in that area tremedously over the years, but still has his lapses.

Who is your favorite broadcast team? I like guys like Aikman and Collinsworth on Fox, but I cannot stand Joe Buck...Simms and Nance are decent, but kind of bland. I can stand bland...

What is he thinking?

Aren't there any other coaching assistant jobs he could get?

Christ, what a dissapointment.

221099[/snapback]

He's thinking that there are only a certain number of jobs available at the top level of his industry and that if someone offers him an interview, he should take it if he wants one of those jobs. Crazy dude.