Yesterday's Game (TB preseason) Blackout on NFL Network

The Dean

Get this. Since I don't subscribe to the NFL network at the moment, I headed to my favorite local bar. It's not a sports bar, but they get the NFL Network. My best friend locally bartends and I meet up with a few interesting people on Saturday afternoon for our "weekly meeting". These aren't Bill fans, but nice people nonetheless.

I brought my tablet, just in case their chattering distracted me, and even brought headphones with an extra long cord to plug into the TV in case somebody was playing the jukebox. I figured I had my bases covered.

The Comcast guide had the Bills/Tampa game scheduled for 4:30 pm. So, 4:30 rolls around, and they start showing a replay of the Steeler/Eagles game. WTF? This has to be some sort of mistake. Thankfully I brought my tablet! I load the app and, there it is, the Bills/Tampa game is blacked out on the tablet? Are you freaking kidding me?

This can't be home blackout issue (the game was in Buffalo, so even if Jacksonville were a secondary market it wouldn't matter). No local station carried the game (and even if they did, it is typically carried by both the local station and NFL Network---correct me if I'm wrong here, that's the way it works for MNF on ESPN). Why in the world did Comcast air this feed (and for what market was that feed intended?) There was no option seemingly, over the air, on cable, or online, to watch the game.

So, I just put the game out of my mind, watched horse racing from Saratoga and avoided the scored until I got home around 7PM. Just to check, I went to the NFL preseason site on my PC, and the game did not seemed to be blacked out on the PC. It would have been late in the 4th quarter and it loaded and started playing. I quickly surfed away to avoid the score. So unless the game was over by that time, the NFL Preseason on a PC was available. This makes no sense whatsoever.

I watched the game on replay later in the evening. (Maybe it was a sign from the heavens to skip this one.)

Anyway, I'm the guy who typically answers TV-related questions, but I'm at a loss for an explanation here. Unless it was simply a monumental screw-up, why was the game blacked out on the NFL Network? Anyone?

Mods double posted. Tried to delete the second thread, but could not. Locked it. Please delete when you can. Thanks

The Preseason Live app on the tablet probably didn't show the game live because it was the live game on the NFL network. Their rights probably precluded the apps rights.

I also know that certain places in Florida have bizarre rights feeds. I experienced that when I was in Florida last year. The Orlando stations for example, blacked out the Bills game in Jacksonville.

I had the game available on both NFLN and preseason live.

I guess since the NFL network was just airing the game live, through the local broadcasts, the league wouldn't consider that a "national game" so the Preseason Live would still be able to air it. I now think Dean's problem was likely a Florida issue.

not sure where you live Dean, but it wasn't shown on NFL network in Rochester area either..I think what they did is if the game was shown on local channel, as it was here on chnl 13, it was blacked out on NFL network so that the game wasn't double channeled ...just my thoughts tho

Edited by Tsaikotic

My only guess is that somehow it conflicted with the local Orlando or Jax feed. Did you try all the local stations?

Yeah. In LA, the Chargers and the Raiders preseason games are still shown on local TV and national games at that same time are blacked out. And Florida has some strange local rights rules with the teams, especially concerning the Bucs and the Jags.

My only guess is that somehow it conflicted with the local Orlando or Jax feed. Did you try all the local stations?

I did. Several times. I think the TV issue was a Comcast error. I'm guessing Orlando is a secondary market for the Bucs and the game was carried on a local channel. But I still can't figure out why it was blacked out on the app, but apparently wasn't on NFL.com, Funny, because I always have a laptop in the car, but took it out on Friday night to update it. Thought about it when I was about 10 minutes from the house but thought "No need. I have double coverage." Strange stuff.

AT&T U-verse customer here. Was able to watch the game just fine on the NFL Network, right here in the west beaches area (Jacksonville). What I saw (from the Bills) was downright pathetic though.

Pathetic - that's the word I was using. Ha! Talking out loud to myself, no less!

I watched the game on NFL network. The game sucked, but they showed it here in AZ.