"Dink and dunk"

I'm hoping the knowledgable TBD analysts can shed some light on this. Seems to me that the Brady and the Patriots* have made a decent living with an extremely short passing game. Some of the early criticism of EJ is that he won't go down the field (he has the ability, clearly). Is it possible for the offense to progress with a shorter game? Where's the line between dink and dunk and checking down? Thanks in advance for your insight.

The Pats are able to dink and dunk their way to victory because Brady knows where to go with the ball. He knows how to pick apart a defense. He also knows how to get the ball in the endzone once they get inside the redzone.

EJ doesn't have the ability to stand back in the pocket and pick defenses apart. Nor does our offense have the ability to consistently score when inside the 20. Brady and the Pats are efficient. We are not.

I'm hoping the knowledgable TBD analysts can shed some light on this. Seems to me that the Brady and the Patriots* have made a decent living with an extremely short passing game. Some of the early criticism of EJ is that he won't go down the field (he has the ability, clearly). Is it possible for the offense to progress with a shorter game? Where's the line between dink and dunk and checking down? Thanks in advance for your insight.

Dink and dunk is within the design of an offense in many instances. While checking down is usually settling for the safer, shorter throw among other options that might be available .

The Pats are able to dink and dunk their way to victory because Brady knows where to go with the ball. He knows how to pick apart a defense. He also knows how to get the ball in the endzone once they get inside the redzone.

EJ doesn't have the ability to stand back in the pocket and pick defenses apart. Nor does our offense have the ability to consistently score when inside the 20. Brady and the Pats are efficient. We are not.

He knows his right and left pressure. Up the middle is where we gotta get him.

Brady dinks and dunks with tons of YAC and getting his guys in open space...

EJ dumps it off at the line of scrimmage where his RBs get blasted. Or he throws it behind them... Or at their feet.

Accuracy issues aside, what is it that we're not doing to get our guys into space? Is it play design? Is it O line? Why can't talented guys like Spiller and Jackson get into open space?

Dink and dunk works when the opposing D has to respect your deep threat.

Accuracy issues aside, what is it that we're not doing to get our guys into space? Is it play design? Is it O line? Why can't talented guys like Spiller and Jackson get into open space?

A valid question. I think it has to do with the offensive design itself. Like two years ago we were a great RB screen team, now we can't run them to save our lives. Many of the same personnel... just can't do it like they could. I think practice is concentrated on the particular schemes you wanna run, with only sprinklings of other stuff only so you can run them once in a blue moon. Generally you aren't very good at those things.

Brady is successful at the dink and dunk because he is extremely accurate with these balls and they more often than not hit the receiver right on the numbers where they don't have to break stride and therefore the YAC increase substantially. Even the great QBs like Brees and Manning cannot do what Brady does although they are good at it. Rodgers may be the only one who comes close. Combine the pinpoint accuracy with great decision making, knowledge of the offense and defenses, and timing because of experience he can do it like no one else.