Is EJ Manuel a slow starter in each game ?

HOUSE

It seems clear that the 1st quarter has been an issue for him. I do think at times that is all on EJ, but the art of coaching is finding things that fit your guys. Hackett has to find a way of getting EJ into the groove early, at times he has prioritised establishing the run to the detriment of EJ Manuel.

Good post. Hackett's play calling early in games is very uninspiring. Run up he middle, run outside, 3rd down pass. I would love to know how many times we attempted a deep pass on 1st down last year.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hackett's play calling early in games is very uninspiring. Run up he middle, run outside, 3rd down pass. I would love to know how many times we attempted a deep pass on 1st down last year.

Agreed. I long for the days when Kelly would throw a bomb on the very first play of the very first offense possession.

I like it because it sets a tone for the game that says we are going to try to beat you deep. You have to think that helps open up the running game and forces the secondary to respect speedy receivers more. And if you complete one of those passes, you can steal the game's momentum for quite a while.

I always think you take a shot when you are in 2nd and short too. We did it a few times when we had 2nd and 1 or 2 last year but if we get 2nd and 4 - try and throw it down the field. You've still got third down to try that screen pass that never works or the dump off to Chandler if the deep ball doesn't happen.

I always think you take a shot when you are in 2nd and short too. We did it a few times when we had 2nd and 1 or 2 last year but if we get 2nd and 4 - try and throw it down the field. You've still got third down to try that screen pass that never works or the dump off to Chandler if the deep ball doesn't happen.

I'm for taking a shot (not always though) if you have faith in your short yardage unit to pick up the 1st down if you don't connect on the long ball. Unfortunately the Bills have been woeful in this regard in recent years.