Bills 10-year Stat

I know a lot is made of this team's playoff drought, and how it's tied to not being able to finish games. With that, I stumbled on the fact that in the past ten years (2003-2013), the Bills have lost 37 games by 5 points or less. That's ALMOST four games a season. I wonder how that measures against other teams in the league over the same time period. And are good teams finding ways to win by small margins in the same way we're losing by small margins?

That is a great stat. I wonder how many of those 37 games were the Bills leading at the end of the 3rd quarter; and how many of those 37 games the Bills were down by more than 10 at the end of the 3rd quarter.

Basically, I want to know how many we lost because we couldn't score in the end vs. how many we lost because we couldn't stop the other team in the end.

This is still a cool stat, though, so thanks.

This is one reason I like that we're drafting a lot of guys from winning programs. I think there's a lot to the idea that you have to know how to win and EXPECT to win close games. Perennial door mats have to get beaten down with loss after close loss.

(I also wonder what the average point differential is in an NFL game.)

Edited by Augie

That is a great stat. I wonder how many of those 37 games were the Bills leading at the end of the 3rd quarter; and how many of those 37 games the Bills were down by more than 10 at the end of the 3rd quarter.

Basically, I want to know how many we lost because we couldn't score in the end vs. how many we lost because we couldn't stop the other team in the end.

This is still a cool stat, though, so thanks.

That would be a sweet break down. Although I get the feeling it would be heavily favored that we "found a way to lose" more games than we won.

If no one does it before me I'll try crunching the numbers later tonight.

Edited by The Wiz

I know a lot is made of this team's playoff drought, and how it's tied to not being able to finish games. With that, I stumbled on the fact that in the past ten years (2003-2013), the Bills have lost 37 games by 5 points or less. That's ALMOST four games a season. I wonder how that measures against other teams in the league over the same time period. And are good teams finding ways to win by small margins in the same way we're losing by small margins?

how many did we win?

This is one reason I like that we're drafting a lot of guys from winning programs. I think there's a lot to the idea that you have to know how to win and EXPECT to win close games. Perennial door mats have to get beaten down with lose after close lose.

(I also wonder what the average point differential is in an NFL game.)

I honestly believe coming up on the short end has become ingrained into this football team, over the past ten years when it's gut check time they rarely come through. Back in the 90's when the Bills dominated the AFC if it was close that team EXPECTED to get it done and as a fan I was surprised when they didn't. After the last ten years I'm surprised when they do, as good as the Bills defense is last year they still couldn't get off the field when faced with a big 3rd down situation. This team has to learn to win the smaller battles within the game in order to start changing that mind set. When this team starts stopping people on 3rd down, picking up 2 crucial yards when they need it, even 3rd and long how many times have you seen this team get somebody in a 3rd an 18 type situation and give up 20 yards, I've grown to expect them to lose those battles, I can't believe it's not in their heads also, when they start winning those battles I think you'll see these guys start winning close games.

how many did we win?

I'm through 2005. Looks like we came back in 2 games and lost 2 games when up/down after the 3rd. None so far have been a 10 point margin( that we were winning and then lost that is).

Sorry. Dolphins in 2005 23-3 lead and they scored 21-0 in the 4th.

Edited by The Wiz