Letting Cordy go

finn

My fear now is that the front office will think, "Hey, why re-sign Cordy Glenn when we have a nice prospect at left tackle in Henderson?" It could end up being fortuitous that Kujo is struggling if it makes the decision makers hesitate to thin out the line.

But maybe I'm overreacting. I'm still depressed they let Jonas Jennings go...

My fear now is that the front office will think, "Hey, why re-sign Cordy Glenn when we have a nice prospect at left tackle in Henderson?" It could end up being fortuitous that Kujo is struggling if it makes the decision makers hesitate to thin out the line.

This is a reach and a long one at that. Henderson showed well last night but that does not make him a lock for anything yet. His troubles are well chronicled. He could easily backslide.

Sorry, I'm not being clear. What I mean is that I'm concerned that if Henderson continues to develop this year, Whaley et al will be tempted to let Glenn sign elsewhere because his asking price (especially compared to a seventh rounder) will be too high and they recognize a replacement in Henderson. To be fair, this regime has not shown the tendency to value savings over building talent that we've seen for years here. My worry is the flip side of my excitement that the Bills might be building not just a decent line but a first-rate one. Maybe I should have expressed it that way. Too many years of seeing fears come true, I guess.

Sorry, I'm not being clear. What I mean is that I'm concerned that if Henderson continues to develop this year, Whaley et al will be tempted to let Glenn sign elsewhere because his asking price (especially compared to a seventh rounder) will be too high and they recognize a replacement in Henderson. To be fair, this regime has not shown the tendency to value savings over building talent that we've seen for years here. My worry is the flip side of my excitement that the Bills might be building not just a decent line but a first-rate one. Maybe I should have expressed it that way. Too many years of seeing fears come true, I guess.

Or they could just pay Cordy what he wants and use Henderson's cheap contract to avoid paying a RT for 4 years.

If Henderson comes on that strongly good for him and good for the Bills. That is a great problem to have. Maybe the Bills get back into the first round through a trade in that scenario. What's the problem with that if the Bills still have very strong talent at LT. Not to mention the guy who gets traded could be Henderson.

Jonas Jenning? The guy played 23 out of a possible 64 games after leaving the Bills.

If Henderson comes on that strongly good for him and good for the Bills. That is a great problem to have. Maybe the Bills get back into the first round through a trade in that scenario. What's the problem with that if the Bills still have very strong talent at LT. Not to mention the guy who gets traded could be Henderson.

I'm pretty sure that if he shows well at LT they'll give him a shot at RT.

Jonas Jenning? The guy played 23 out of a possible 64 games after leaving the Bills.

I'm pretty sure that if he shows well at LT they'll give him a shot at RT.

Again great problem to have. I just don't get the OP's concerns. His rationale is that if Henderson plays fantastically the Bills have a problem. None of us know what Glenn's health issue is. If it is something that is significant enough to keep him from playing, good for the Bills in that they may have found a solution. If Glenn returns at full strength (we would all pray that he does) then great, having two really good tackles is hardly a problem.

Jonas Jennings? Wow, was he some kind of LT that used to play for the Bills?

What happens, happens man. Survival of the fittest in the NFL!

By the time it's time to make a decision on Glenn, a new owner will be firmly in place. I wouldn't put too much emphasis on how these types of decisions were made in the past.

My worry is the flip side of my excitement that the Bills might be building not just a decent line but a first-rate one. Maybe I should have expressed it that way. Too many years of seeing fears come true, I guess.

Your worry says more about you as a fan than it does about the Bills braintrust. My sense is that the problem you mention of "letting Glenn go" has little to do with the reality of how the Bills or any intelligent NFL team operates and more to say about the annoying inability of many of us fans to endorse endorse more than one option at a specific position.

What it seems to me reality is all about in the NFL and being successful is having good chemistry from your starting unit and having reasonable plan Bs when the inevitable injuries or nicks and scrapes that happen over the course of a 16 game (or more if you are good)season.

The key for the Bills is to find the best collection of players to make any unit work as it is to be hoped a superior group. Thus, in the particular case of the OL here, this fan does not care if the starting five features, Glenn, Cujo, Henderson, Wood or whomever. I simply want the best five (whomever they are as individuals) to start. My criteria are rather simple. This group should be a near flawless band in protecting Manual not allowing vicious sacks and giving him not perfect protection (as the reality is this will not happen in the modern NFL) but enough time on every play that Manual proves good enough to diagnose things and make an aggressive effort when Watkins, Woods or Williams gets quick separation from their DB and Manual is not all fired great (a goal no youngster is going to achieve) but actually achieves the small goal of getting the ball successfully to the receiver who then does a YAC thing that actually makes it easier for the team to work because DBs are playing back on their heels.

The OL is a fearsome tool actually not so much because they are flawless in giving Manual time (though this is a necessary side effect of their play) but actually because they excel at their first jpb which is that they prove as a unit to be a powerful force run blocking.

Ultimately, my observations of NFL play over 4+ decades of watching is that the best thing blockers can do to make the passing game effective is to actually present such as foreboding running game that opposing Ds are so worried about the run they are leaning forward on each play or cheating a half yard forward to be in the box to stop the run that our YAC oriented receivers get past their DB qauickly and burn them. The DBs then respond by taking a step back so as not to get embarrassed and the Bills running game becomes more effective. And so on.

One key for this if the team pulls of the miracle of putting opposing Ds on their heels, is that our team has good plan Bs for each player when they get dinged like an Alonso or simply slowed a lot by nagging injury.

This is where it is simply stupid that we fans do not seen to have the bandwidth to root for these solid plan Bs but instead advocate or fear us "letting Glenn go" or cutting Thad Lewis as one post foolishly opined after Tuel had an impressive outing last night.

Whaley and the braintrust should not cut any player they do not have to because as the season goes on sadly an Alonso will be lost for the season or a Bradham will bbe unavailable for a game.

I think we should have no real requirement that we cut Preaton Brown because he looked like a rookie out there (the reason for this actually Beuller is that he is a rookie) but nstead for the coaches to coach up this plan B because he is gonna be our starting Will in week one because Alonso is out and a drug problem is forcing us to actually have a working plan C.

Glenn should not be let go because Seantrel Henderson actually plays like the first round physical talent he is rather than the round 8 brain he apparently has. Even if Henderson steps up this merely means that Glenn needs to show some flexibility to step in anywhere along the OL needed. This what our O braintrust is doing. If not Glenn then they are training Hairston to be both and effective guard if need be in addition to him being an effective tackle.

Cutting or letting go a good player simply because he does not show starting chops would be dumb.

You don't ever, ever cut cost-controlled players that you have under contract for two more years.

The savings would be so negligible, and his replacement on the roster would be just as expensive in 2014-15 dollars. If his asking price is too high he'll be franchised. We're getting way too far down the line here but if this were the case he would be easier to move, as a LT, than was Byrd.

That said, if this health thing is an aberration, I'd like to see them try to extend Cordy after this season. It will never be more reasonable to do so. Give him a good-faith raise that rewards him for the hard work, line up Seantrel on the other side, and maybe, if Henderson is really a better LT, you have Glenn at a salary that you're OK with for a RT or even a premium OG.