GO Bucks

YoloinOhio

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Fire Greg Schiano into the sun. Bring me back Coach Fickell. 

File that under a sentence I never ever expected to see or hear.

I'm almost ready to move on to MSU, but one relatively unimportant thing is still on my mind from Saturday: is Weber really the best option for KOR?  He's a good hard runner, but there are much faster options on the roster, and Weber hasn't been the type of playmaker I normally see on kick return duty.  Whatever.  Beat Sparty.

41 minutes ago, Willyville Guy said:

File that under a sentence I never ever expected to see or hear.

I'm almost ready to move on to MSU, but one relatively unimportant thing is still on my mind from Saturday: is Weber really the best option for KOR?  He's a good hard runner, but there are much faster options on the roster, and Weber hasn't been the type of playmaker I normally see on kick return duty.  Whatever.  Beat Sparty.

No I don’t know how he could be the best option. We kept asking why he was back there. Nothing makes sense anymore. Also Jerome Baker should just quit and start training for the combine at this point because his head is not with the Ohio State buckeyes. Move along son. Put someone in who still cares and you can go make your paycheck. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

59 minutes ago, row_33 said:

I'll still watch the game Saturday although it means nothing on the national picture, darn it.

Ohio State still has a chance to accomplish most of it's traditional team goals:  beat the rival, win the old conference, and go to the Rose Bowl.  The Rose Bowl is hosting a playoff game so that's probably out, but I heard this week that the Orange Bowl against Miami is a possibility.  I'm not a "national championship or bust" kind of guy, so I'd be fairly happy with that scenario. 

This upcoming game will be fun to watch because for the past five years OSU/MSU games have been slugfests. Plus, it will tell us a lot about whether this team is as "mature" as Urban says it is following a blowout loss.  Definitely watching!

I'm a Big Ten fan, used to have Ann Arbor seasons, but I'm more of a Sparty kinda person and hated most Michigan fans.

So I'll watch and cheer for tOSU somewhat.

I am sure if the Rose Bowl is a semifinal that they won't care two beans if the Pac12 and Big 10 are not playing

1 hour ago, Willyville Guy said:

Ohio State still has a chance to accomplish most of it's traditional team goals:  beat the rival, win the old conference, and go to the Rose Bowl.  The Rose Bowl is hosting a playoff game so that's probably out, but I heard this week that the Orange Bowl against Miami is a possibility.  I'm not a "national championship or bust" kind of guy, so I'd be fairly happy with that scenario. 

This upcoming game will be fun to watch because for the past five years OSU/MSU games have been slugfests. Plus, it will tell us a lot about whether this team is as "mature" as Urban says it is following a blowout loss.  Definitely watching!

Any Buckeye fan who lived through the 90s will never look down on winning  the Michigan game or a big 10 championship as less than a big accomplishment. Frankly with the history between the two teams (I will never forget that 1998 game - 2013 big 10 championship game - 2015 game)  I’ll throw Sparty in there as well. 

I'm not ready to say that beating MSU can be season-saving like beating UM or winning the B1G, but there is no question that OSU-MSU has been marked by a unique intensity in recent years (I kind of consider 1998 a fluke).  Billy Price called it the Five Year War yesterday.  I see the Sparty game as a lose-lose because of the unquestionable talent gap between the two programs.  OSU gets no real credit for winning because they are always a big favorite, and when they lose they get killed for not getting it done against an undermanned team that shows up with more toughness and a better game plan.    

row_33:  totally agree about the Rose Bowl - everything is dictated by tv ratings/revenue now.  The bowl-game decision makers don't seem to care about traditional rivalries anymore.

1 hour ago, Willyville Guy said:

I'm not ready to say that beating MSU can be season-saving like beating UM or winning the B1G, but there is no question that OSU-MSU has been marked by a unique intensity in recent years (I kind of consider 1998 a fluke).  Billy Price called it the Five Year War yesterday.  I see the Sparty game as a lose-lose because of the unquestionable talent gap between the two programs.  OSU gets no real credit for winning because they are always a big favorite, and when they lose they get killed for not getting it done against an undermanned team that shows up with more toughness and a better game plan.    

row_33:  totally agree about the Rose Bowl - everything is dictated by tv ratings/revenue now.  The bowl-game decision makers don't seem to care about traditional rivalries anymore.

that;s why it's a joke to worry about Playoff Rankings outside of a minor glance and laugh.

they'll take the teams that are eligible after Conference title games and reward those that will get the most TV ad revenue and move everything around to justify it

Notre Dame will thrive on this if they are on the bubble.

Edited by row_33

It was fun. But does it make last week hurt even more? Why does it take a loss for them to play like that? They looked like world beaters today and ran the ball at will  against a very good D, they gave up an avg of 87 rushing yds/game before today. 3rd ranked run D in the country.  Lewerke threw for 400 vs Penn St and today he looked like he’d never thrown a football before.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Yes, it makes not only last week hurt more, but every loss taken by the Bucks in recent years where they needlessly got away from the running game. But I try to separate that from the pleasant surprise of seeing Weber breaking two big ones, Dobbins getting so many touches and generally being unstoppable, Victor showing heart in grabbing a TD ball and breaking a tackle, the Dline finally get some sacks, Worley and the young LBs making plays (let the kids start next week too - right?), and so many other parts about that game that I liked.

So while wondering “what might have been” is definitely part of the story of 2017, I’m pretty pumped up and hope they get through next week with no injuries, and then go friggin drill the rival. 

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

So question for Bucknuts far and wide:

Is there a concern that we will get Penn Stated this year because of our two losses if we end up winning the Big Ten title? It is possible...

I wouldn’t call it “concern” so much as expected that they aren’t going to the playoff unless they blow the doors off the next 3 opponents and other teams lose and look bad in the process. The only hope we have is to convince the committee that it is a different team now than what they saw at Iowa, while having everything else (Bama, Miami, Oklahoma winning out) go in their favor. I don’t see the Michigan game being anything but a close contest so I think the point is moot.

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

So question for Bucknuts far and wide:

Is there a concern that we will get Penn Stated this year because of our two losses if we end up winning the Big Ten title? It is possible...

What I'm hoping for is Michigan to beat Ohio State </ducks whatever you just threw at me> but goes on to beat a previously undefeated Wisconsin to win the B1G

So what does "The Committee" do?

Do they give a bid to a 3 loss Ohio St team

Do they give a bid to a 1 loss Wisconsin team whose only loss would be to Ohio St

Do they give a bid to a 2 loss Penn St Team

23 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

What I'm hoping for is Michigan to beat Ohio State </ducks whatever you just threw at me> but goes on to beat a previously undefeated Wisconsin to win the B1G

So what does "The Committee" do?

Do they give a bid to a 3 loss Ohio St team

Do they give a bid to a 1 loss Wisconsin team whose only loss would be to Ohio St

Do they give a bid to a 2 loss Penn St Team

It depends on what happens in the other conferences but I think if this scenario occurs, the Big 10 would just get left out. The problem with Wisconsin and Penn State is they wouldn’t gave any top 10 wins. The committee has historically awarded quality wins.

Edited by YoloinOhio