Where is the controversy? Why is there outrage?

video:

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/nypd-arrest-suspect-suffers-heart-attack-dies-hospital-24632255

Story:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/nypd-cop-chokehold-death-loses-gun-badge/story?id=24634470

"Eric Garner, who was 6-foot-3 and roughly 350 pounds, died Thursday as police struggled to arrest him, according to the NYPD. Police said he appeared to suffer a heart attack"

Gotta love the media spin on this. Where is the outrageous actions? The guy was resisting arrest and was refusing to cooperate with police and is shown being choked to be brought down. If he would have been tazed would we be looking at a different lawsuit?

Makes me sad to know that this scumbag will end up getting a settlement and his family will profit from this because the NYPD will be too spineless to stand up for itself.

video:

http://abcnews.go.co...spital-24632255

Story:

http://abcnews.go.co...ory?id=24634470

"Eric Garner, who was 6-foot-3 and roughly 350 pounds, died Thursday as police struggled to arrest him, according to the NYPD. Police said he appeared to suffer a heart attack"

Gotta love the media spin on this. Where is the outrageous actions? The guy was resisting arrest and was refusing to cooperate with police and is shown being choked to be brought down. If he would have been tazed would we be looking at a different lawsuit?

Makes me sad to know that this scumbag will end up getting a settlement and his family will profit from this because the NYPD will be too spineless to stand up for itself.

i didnt know selling loose cigarettes was a crime. anyway, the police commissioner said choke holds are illegal. why are you calling the guy a scumbag? lot worse crimes out there than selling loose cigarettes.

i didnt know selling loose cigarettes was a crime. anyway, the police commissioner said choke holds are illegal. why are you calling the guy a scumbag?

why are choke holds illegal? i'd rather the cops just tazed or shot the dude if he isn't listening to their requests.

besides that, it is nearly doubtful that the actual choke out had anything to do with what happened. the stress alone likely got to the dumby.

lot worse crimes out there than selling loose cigarettes.

what the hell is this? it's not even worth responding to because the /logic

Unjust law. He was right to resist. I hope every cop involved loses his pension, and spends time getting raped in prison.

law is the law, the cops were doing their job to enact the law.

it's a stupid law, but it is the law.

take it up with the commissioner, but maybe it's because they can like .... ummmm ..... kill people?

so we should take their guns away from them, too.

wait, oh yeah, crap. i forgot who i am talking to. damn it. i am an idiot.

law is the law, the cops were doing their job to enact the law.

it's a stupid law, but it is the law.

Cops, in general, are not good people. There was a major anonymous psychological profile taken of LEOs across the nation with a massive sample size back in the early 90's. More than 80% profiled as "bullies", while slightly less than 5% profiled as "white knights".

Cops are almost never there to help anyone. 99% of their job function is oppressive. They are the "boots on the ground" enforcement of the executive.

When the executive is wrong, the police are wrong.

It doesn't matter that "it's their job". They can choose not to take that job.

The fact that they chose to take a job which demands that they enforce oppressive laws, and that they zealously follow through to the point of killing someone "guilty" of selling loose cigarettes is all that needs to be said about them in that respect.

Anyone willing to do such a thing deserves nothing more than death by broom handle rape.

/fin

Cops, in general, are not good people. There was a major anonymous psychological profile taken of LEOs across the nation with a massive sample size back in the early 90's. More than 80% profiled as "bullies", while slightly less than 5% profiled as "white knights".

Cops are almost never there to help anyone. 99% of their job function is oppressive. They are the "boots on the ground" enforcement of the executive.

When the executive is wrong, the police are wrong.

It doesn't matter that "it's their job". They can choose not to take that job.

The fact that they chose to take a job which demands that they enforce oppressive laws, and that they zealously follow through to the point of killing someone "guilty" of selling loose cigarettes is all that needs to be said about them in that respect.

Anyone willing to do such a thing deserves nothing more than death by broom handle rape.

/fin

I do not disagree with that and there should be outrage over the law and the interpretation of it. There is no misunderstanding to what happened in this video - and even if the cops were wrong the guy wasn't all that smart resisting them.

It wasn't worth him dying, as JSP pointed out above, nor was it worth him being assaulted. Did the police have any other choice to subdue the man? I don't really know that to be not the case - but that is not what is causing the outrage, at least to you. It is that a stupid law caused all of this.

Of course, we do know very little about the officers involved nor the victim. But, we do know a fair amount about the story and none of it really adds up to make much sense. It shouldn't be a legal issue, it shouldn't be news, no one should have been arrested and these cops should have walked right by this guy. But, they didn't.

I'm not outraged at the officers. I am outraged at the system which lets these officers do the work they do. I don't see this as anything more then a silly law that a stupid person broke and was proved to be stupid when he failed to listen to commands by an officer and a separate tragedy when that men later died.

TYTT posted this first sentence in a comment about LEO's. "Cops, in general, are not good people. There was a major anonymous psychological profile taken of LEOs across the nation with a massive sample size back in the early 90's. More than 80% profiled as "bullies", while slightly less than 5% profiled as "white knights".

I'd have to review the questions, methodology and context before I ever agreed with such a blanket indictment of cops...or of any other group for that matter.

TYTT posted this first sentence in a comment about LEO's. "Cops, in general, are not good people. There was a major anonymous psychological profile taken of LEOs across the nation with a massive sample size back in the early 90's. More than 80% profiled as "bullies", while slightly less than 5% profiled as "white knights".

I'd have to review the questions, methodology and context before I ever agreed with such a blanket indictment of cops...or of any other group for that matter.

Do we have that much time? In order to keep up with the chinese we will need to act fast on this. Either you believe Tasker or you don't.

he's holed up in his trailer right now with a cache of weapons, waiting for the "government" and "da' police" to come and take away his "rights". seriously this guy is a risk

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Why isn't every police-citizen encounter recorded these days?

Make the recordings from the officer's vest. Make them unalterable by the police and available to any citizen that wants to file an official complaint.

That by itself would discourage bullies from wanting to take the job of police officer. It would make it easier to weed out the bad apples without members of the police squad having to snitch on each other too.

In many cases guilty citizens would not fight the charges in court as often if they are captured demonstrating their guilt on camera, such as DUI's.