Erie, PA...Bills Country?

Anyone in Erie give me a feeling for the fanbase direction, now that Manziel is in CLE?

I know that area has been consistently divided between Steelers and Browns. Never understood this, given the closer proximity to RWS. Wish the organization could make some significant inroads...even if its just a billboard or two off I-90. Developing our regional fanbase into NW PA, NE Ohio is going to be important moving forward and growing our season ticket base, right?

Yes, even a lot of people in NY near the border down around Jamestown and such pull for the Steelers. I think a lot of their loyalties began when the Steelers were winning Super Bowl's in the 70's. Roger Goodell was a Steeler's fan growing up

Was a time, if you had the right antenna and favorable conditions, you could pick up Erie channel 12 in Buffalo. I watched a few blacked out home games that way.

GO BILLS!!!

Erie is actually in the Bills broadcast market which causes quite a backlash when a Bills game is televised rather than a Steelers/Browns contest. I think there is a significant fan base there, although still #3, and the Erie media do try to provide coverage of the Bills' goings on.

In a business sense, one of Ralph's biggest mistakes was to cling to the traditional AFC East opponents instead of realigning to a division with the Steelers and Browns. That's two guaranteed home sellouts and the basis of two potentially very strong rivalries.

I will take a poll, will be in Erie all day tomorrow... I will start at Bianchi Honda and work my way to Waldemier

*Waldamere

I suggest standing on the corner of 26th and Parade after sundown. Seriously, what could go wrong??

Just grab some Mighty Fine while you're there.

I'm a native Erieite.

I estimate the town is 60% Steelers, 25% Browns and 15% Bills

So yes, the majority Steeler fans get PISSED about Erie being in the Bills broadcast market.

But makes directv very happy. That's a lot of sunday ticket viewers;)

Yes, even a lot of people in NY near the border down around Jamestown and such pull for the Steelers. I think a lot of their loyalties began when the Steelers were winning Super Bowl's in the 70's. Roger Goodell was a Steeler's fan growing up

bandwagon jumpers who want to be part of a winning team.

Erie is actually in the Bills broadcast market which causes quite a backlash when a Bills game is televised rather than a Steelers/Browns contest. I think there is a significant fan base there, although still #3, and the Erie media do try to provide coverage of the Bills' goings on.

In a business sense, one of Ralph's biggest mistakes was to cling to the traditional AFC East opponents instead of realigning to a division with the Steelers and Browns. That's two guaranteed home sellouts and the basis of two potentially very strong rivalries.

when they have expansion again maybe we can move to a new division.

The Steelers dominate Appalachia. They own a good fraction of Ohio, PA, WV, E KY, W VA and even Steuben county in WNY. Also I heard their fanbase in Mexico is even bigger than the Dallas Cowboys. This goes back to the Alamo days and Mexican hate of the redneck invaders of the Old West.

This according to facebook data of team likes. http://knowmore.washingtonpost.com/2014/01/31/this-map-shows-which-counties-support-which-nfl-teams/

I am going to Presque Isle this weekend, and will also take a poll.

I remember watching a game in Erie once in a sportsbar-- the waiters were split 1/3rd wearing Browns, 1/3d Steelers, and 1/3d Bills jerseys. Pretty interesting spot for a convergence of football interests.

That could also be mandated by the bar. Don't want to alienate any potential fan customers.

Edited by CodeMonkey

JR- you running the half marathon?

I'm doing the Chicago Rock and Roll half Sunday.

But when I was home for the Fourth I ran the loop around PI...worst run...ever. First half is quite lovely. Second half is a runners' nightmare.

Edited by The Big Cat