Melo - Knicks: 5-Year-Deal

Gugny

Good for Mello and the Knicks. We should merge this with the NBA Free Agency thread (unless there are a ton of Knick fans here that I'm unaware of). Mello made the right move, even though as a Laker fan I wanted him to come to SoCal, but it's hard to say no to Phil and your hometown NYC.

I like it too. The NBA (and all sports really except football!) is always better when the New York team is relevant. Whether you love them or love to hate them, it makes it more fun. They will be a train wreck again next season, but once that money clears out Phil should be able to make them interesting at least. Not a Melo fan personally though, I think he is atrocious as a defender.

Edited by Mark80

I am a big melo fan and am a little down on this. He's going to spend at least another year being a whipping boy and getting blamed for the garbage NY team they have next year. Hopefully, he can weather through that and they can be good in 2-3 years.

Don't despair. I think Jackson is going to convince Philly to take STAT's contract (Philly needs to spend up to the cap minimum and right now they're not close). If they do that, they'll have tons of flexibility to bring in more help for the immediate future without sacrificing their long term plan.

Don't despair. I think Jackson is going to convince Philly to take STAT's contract (Philly needs to spend up to the cap minimum and right now they're not close). If they do that, they'll have tons of flexibility to bring in more help for the immediate future without sacrificing their long term plan.

Please. I adopted the Knicks as my squad, and STAT has been an albatross on the Knicks for too long. Of course he opted in for $20 mill again this year. He knows he's worth $5 max.

Between him and Bargs, Phil has his work cut out for him. Two bums worth nothing getting paid ridiculous salaries.

I hate Bargs more because of his low basketball IQ. He's like JR Smith without the physical talent and potential.

I don't think anyone blamed him for last season nor will they blame him for next season.

So many Knicks fans blame Melo for not being Lebron. That's really the only way to describe their hate for him. They don't realize that the rest of the Knicks are streaky as hell. If anyone else on the Knicks was consistent, Melo would would average 5+ assists a game.

Just look at the last two seasons. 50+ wins to 30. JR came back to earth for 90% of the season. Felton sucked. But Knicks fans blame Melo for not putting up 30/8/6, when everyone else sucked.

JR, the second option on offense, has a game where he shoots 60% then the next night he shoots 10%. When Knicks fans call Melo an ISO ball hog, they don't realize that:

A: he's the most consistent player on the Knicks

B: Woodson designed the whole offense to run Melo iso's 70% of the time. Because he's the most consistent.

It's incredible how so many Knicks fans think he's a ball-hog who can't win. If I was Melo, I'd shoot 20 shots a game too. At least he knows he can shoot 40%.

Edited by FireChan

Please. I adopted the Knicks as my squad, and STAT has been an albatross on the Knicks for too long. Of course he opted in for $20 mill again this year. He knows he's worth $5 max.

Between him and Bargs, Phil has his work cut out for him. Two bums worth nothing getting paid ridiculous salaries.

I hate Bargs more because of his low basketball IQ. He's like JR Smith without the physical talent and potential.

So many Knicks fans blame Melo for not being Lebron. That's really the only way to describe their hate for him. They don't realize that the rest of the Knicks are streaky as hell. If anyone else on the Knicks was consistent, Melo would would average 5+ assists a game.

Just look at the last two seasons. 50+ wins to 30. JR came back to earth for 90% of the season. Felton sucked. But Knicks fans blame Melo for not putting up 30/8/6, when everyone else sucked.

JR, the second option on offense, has a game where he shoots 60% then the next night he shoots 10%. When Knicks fans call Melo an ISO ball hog, they don't realize that:

B: Woodson designed the whole offense to run Melo iso's 70% of the time. Because he's the most consistent.

It's incredible how so many Knicks fans think he's a ball-hog who can't win. If I was Melo, I'd shoot 20 shots a game too. At least he knows he can shoot 40%.

Since you're a Knicks fan, let me ask you this: how much am I going to hate having Jeremy Lin on the Lakers? I love getting a pick and a short contract, and Lin can create his own shot which will help Kobe, but I have a feeling it's not going to be pretty. Any insight on Linsanity?

Agreed.

Even the knock in melo's defense would go away; people don't realize that being a volume scorer-- which he has to be out of necessity-- sucks away from the rest if his game.

You put him with a decent team and he is a much more efficient and effective offensive and defensive player. I think every GM knows that, which is why every team would love to have him.

Well then, most Knicks fans are stupid!

I don't agree with JR on one point though, I don't think a decent team will improve his defense at all. He has always been a subpar to terrible defender. That's just him in my opinion and I don't see him improving significantly in that respect at any point. However, his offensive skills are undeniable and if you pair him with a guy or two that are excellent defenders down low, then you got something brewing.

Since you're a Knicks fan, let me ask you this: how much am I going to hate having Jeremy Lin on the Lakers? I love getting a pick and a short contract, and Lin can create his own shot which will help Kobe, but I have a feeling it's not going to be pretty. Any insight on Linsanity?

Honestly, I think Lin will be fine in LA. I don't know how he was in Houston, but in NY, there was a little rivalry between him and Melo. Melo was trying to make NY "his city," when Lin swooped in and stole the spotlight. Kobe won't have that issue, because he's the man in LA and always has been.

Personally, I like Lin's game. He needs to increase his range a little, his three is a little shaky. Do the Lakers even have a coach yet? It's hard to know if he'll fit without knowing the coach.

Just don't expect him to be a savior. He's on his third team in 4 years. There's a reason for that.