Our team or OUR team?

Would you rather  

104 members have voted

1. 1. Team USA or Team B'Lo?

• Team USA wins 2014 World Cup
    • The Buffalo Bills win the 2014 AFC East

Obviously, there aren't many soccer fans on this board. But to any sane person, the USA winning the world championship in the premium sport on the planet would be about 100x greater that a division title (are we really THAT desperate for any success that we can even compare the two?).

I remember when the Bills used to turn out division titles like sausages. Now we think one is worth more than a World Cup championship? Wow.

R U A Jets fan?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about are team? (insert photo I saw the other day of protesters, with a sign that read "If you can't speak English, you don't belong in are country").

BTW Bills by a landslide.

Edited by bowery4

Obviously, there aren't many soccer fans on this board. But to any sane person, the USA winning the world championship in the premium sport on the planet would be about 100x greater that a division title (are we really THAT desperate for any success that we can even compare the two?).

I remember when the Bills used to turn out division titles like sausages. Now we think one is worth more than a World Cup championship? Wow.

Yes. Was that a trick question?

This is a Buffalo Bills fans message board...How could any sane person not understand? I'm guessing the majority around here would still take a Divisional title over a World Cup Championship even if we had won the SB 14 years in a row...We're Bills fans who care enough to join a message board to talk about them...Many of us have been doing this forever...The Bills are more important to some of us than showering... :lol:

Present company excluded of course on the showering thing... ;)

To someone who grew up in western NY watching the Bills and who could care less about soccer? Never liked soccer....still don't, myself. I could care less about a world championship in a sport I that means nothing to me. Premium sport on the planet? Not in my eyes. Football is way better, and I'd rather turn out division titles like sausages.....sorry.

I am not a soccer fan, so basically I would take a bills training camp scrimmage win over winning the World Cup.

That is common among American football fans and in my opinion is very sad. I would think anything that has athletes representing their country would trump a domestic game regardless of the game being played. But it is what it is.

Though the poll is currently sitting at 13% for world cup which is higher than I expected here. I was estimating about 5%.

Edited by CodeMonkey

Not sure I disagree with you. But, as hard as I have tried, I can't get into soccer. National pride wants me to see them to well in a passive way--but the US getting bounced from the WC was like the national ping pong team losing in the olympics. It means nothing to me. My sense is that I am in the majority in the US.

I believe your sense may be correct. And it is definitely correct among American football fans..

Edited by CodeMonkey

That is common among American football fans and in my opinion is very sad. I would think anything that has athletes representing their country would trump a domestic game regardless of the game being played.

I have watched most of the games and it's OK. However I was very disappointed when I found out that the "athletes representing their country" are actually representing a country that is maybe or maybe is not their own. The US had 4 German players and one from Norway. A player on the Iran team is from the US. There are 2 players on the Mexico team from the US and one on the Japan team. France has 26 players playing for other countries.

http://regressing.deadspin.com/which-countries-swap-the-most-world-cup-players-1593844453

So much for players representing their countries. Like I say, I was very disappointed to hear this.

I have watched most of the games and it's OK. However I was very disappointed when I found out that the "athletes representing their country" are actually representing a country that is maybe or maybe is not their own. The US had 4 German players and one from Norway. A player on the Iran team is from the US. There are 2 players on the Mexico team from the US and one on the Japan team. France has 26 players playing for other countries.

http://regressing.de...yers-1593844453

So much for players representing their countries. Like I say, I was very disappointed to hear this.

This is nothing new and happens in all competitions pitting country against country that I am aware of such as the Olympics. Dual citizenship allows you the opportunity, rightly or wrongly, to play for either country.

The truly sad thing is, the US team has so few decent players that the 4 Germans on the US team were only there because they were not good enough to make the German team.

This is nothing new and happens in all competitions pitting country against country that I am aware of such as the Olympics. Dual citizenship allows you the opportunity, rightly or wrongly, to play for either country.

The truly sad thing is, the US team has so few decent players that the 4 Germans on the US team were only there because they were not good enough to make the German team.

I was just responding to your comment of the World Cup being "athletes representing their country" which it sort of is, but not really. A better comment would "athletes representing A country".

As far as the American team, they were better than 1/2 of the other teams so what does that say about all those that didn't advance to the sweet 16?

I was just responding to your comment of the World Cup being "athletes representing their country" which it sort of is, but not really. A better comment would "athletes representing A country".

As far as the American team, they were better than 1/2 of the other teams so what does that say about all those that didn't advance to the sweet 16?

They are all representing not just A country, but one of their countries ;) i do not have dual citizenship with France for example, so I could not play for the French world cup team (I could however, coach the team).

The Americans making it out of group play was a very good accomplishment for them. It certainly wasn't due to the talent (except goalie, Tim Howard stood on his head the entire tournament). I think it had a lot to do with them getting a world class coach this time around finally, and he had them playing as a team whereas a lot of the "better" teams that went home after group play (such as Spain and England for example) played as a group of talented individuals.