Shutdown corner article on overrated/underrated storylines

Lothar

"The Bills are building something. It’s not all the way there, and it tends to hurt losing players such asJairus Byrd and coaches such as Mike Pettine, but I believe this is a playoff-caliber roster. If — and it’s a big if — Manuel steps up.

The system is there. They’ll run up-tempo again, maybe even faster than they were in early 2013, and another year at that pace can help Manuel. They have three running backs capable of handling/sharing the load now with Bryce Brown in the mix. Sammy Watkins makes the receivers so much more dangerous. No great tight end, but I think the O-line is respectable, with a few questions (left guard and right tackle might be weak spots).

The defense is a strong unit that finished No. 9 in yards allowed last season. The defensive line has the makings of a very good unit again. The linebackers are strong, and Kiko Alonso could be a huge producer with his move to the “Will.” The secondary lacks anything resembling star power but is a lot cast with solid football players — a younger, slightly stronger version of what the Panthers had on the back end last season, let’s say."

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/shutdown-corner-s-overrated-and-underrated--2014-afc-story-lines-172451729.html

Nothing new here ... but people are noticing the quality of the roster. And it's all about EJ's development this season.

Saw shutdown corner and thought it was an article about the secondary. E.J. has a good year I think the Bills will be good. In the division I think whoever has the better season with Tannehill, Vick/Geno, E.J., that team will be fighting for a playoff spot.

Side note, shutdown corner made me think the Bills should have an elite group of CB.

They are pretty much right on with their analysis. I think we are going to be 1 or 2 game winning drives from the post-season and it's going to be up to EJ to make it happen. Playoff teams win those close games. We are right in the mix. We are a better team than last year plus the young guys have a season under their belt and know the offense. We are much deeper at every position. We are definitely building something here and I'm glad some people can recognize that. I can't tell you how many times I read articles by so-called "experts" that predict we will be 3-13 because we don't have any offensive weapons except for Spiller (he still gets a lot of respect around the league based on his 2012 season) and that our defense is bad except for our D-line. Anyone that has been watching this team closely knows we are now a team that deserves respect

It's all about EJ's development as a QB, Hackett's development as an OC, and Marrone's development as a HC.

And then there's Danny Crossman.

This team does have talent. But for the Bills to emerge as playoff contenders, several folks need to become better than they've been.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

It's all about EJ's development as a QB, Hackett's development as an OC, and Marrone's development as a HC.

And then there's Danny Crossman.

This team does have talent. But for the Bills to emerge as playoff contenders, several folks need to become better than they've been.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Yeah, while EJ certainly can make or break the season I think Hackett is the man to blame for last season's offensive struggles. With such high caliber RB's and solid line they should be able to be productive as long as the QB doesn't play as bad as Tuel did last year (that KC loss was his fault not Hack's). Since Hackett is so young it is reasonable to be hopeful that he'll improve. If he does and there isn't much of a drop off from Pettine to Schwartz, our Bills will easily be in playoff contention.