How to stay healthy

Vetriano

Well the new food pyramid suggests 3 servings milk a day.  Most people do not have enough calcium daily.  Calcium helps prevent osteoperosis and helps preserve bone density.  I realize many are lactose intolerent and cannot have milk.  I also realize when you stop drinking milk your body stops producing enzymes to break it down.  As for yogurt- its awesome for you!  Yogurt is high in calcium, helps the immune system, loaded with b12, protein, riboflavin.  Yogurt introduces good bacteria in your digestive tract which helps digestion and helps prevent ulcers.  In fact whenever you travel to a new country you should try local yogurt.  It helps acclimate your digestive tract to the new bacteria and helps prevent sickness and montezumas revenge.  Add fresh blueberrys to plain yogurt and you are talking superfood!  I love smoothies and yogurt is a main component in mine.  Yogurt, bananas, blueberries, stawberrys and a little sorbet in a blender- that is powerfood!

218858[/snapback]

So long as it's organic, I'll agree with that. Anything with antibiotics or hormones is HORRIBLE for you.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hah, and I thought I was the only anti-milk nut out there!

You're not alone Steve. Using logic - it makes sense that cows milk is for calves and human milk is for babies - but either way it shouldn't be continued after infancy. How we ever let society convince us that drinking something designed for that animal's infant is beyond me. And the irony is that whenever we have an ailment, the medical advice is to refrain from dairy products until we're better. Go figure. :doh:

How we ever let society convince us that drinking something designed for that animal's infant is beyond me.

220318[/snapback]

Apples are designed to provide sugars and nutrients to the ground where the seeds will grow. There's also pesticides on them that no amount of washing will get off (See: Alar in the early 90s, which was the same molecular structure as rocket fuel (Note that it's since been banned)). Does that mean we shouldn't eat them?

Apples are designed to provide sugars and nutrients to the ground where the seeds will grow. There's also pesticides on them that no amount of washing will get off (See: Alar in the early 90s, which was the same molecular structure as rocket fuel (Note that it's since been banned)). Does that mean we shouldn't eat them?

220336[/snapback]

problem is, you can take an apple right off a tree, brush off any dirt (for taste, because eating it won't kill ya) and eat it.

Try milking a cow and not pasteurizing the milk... You like playing russian roulette?

problem is, you can take an apple right off a tree, brush off any dirt (for taste, because eating it won't kill ya) and eat it.

Try milking a cow and not pasteurizing the milk... You like playing russian roulette?

220344[/snapback]

Many foreign - mostly European - cheeses are not available in the US, because they are made from unpasturized milk. Yet, even though they eat lots of it, the Europeans are not dropping off like flies.

There is a school of medical thought that feels that the diet is too "sanitized", leading to lack of resistance to disease and allergies.

Peanuts are a curious case. When I grew up, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches were THE staple for kids eating lunch in school. Yet, with the whole building permeated with peanuts, people were not going into anaphylatic shock.

I peel everything.  I just don't trust the poisons and other things they put on our friuts and veggies now.

220342[/snapback]

With the Alar pesticide, that didn't even do any good.

Organic? Maybe it's better for some qualities, but it's worse in others.

I don't know, I've had nutrition and botany courses and my philosophy is just Well, what're you gonna do? Not eat?

Many foreign - mostly European - cheeses are not available in the US, because they are made from unpasturized milk. Yet, even though they eat lots of it, the Europeans are not dropping off like flies.

There is a school of medical thought that feels that the diet is too "sanitized", leading to lack of resistance to disease and allergies.

Peanuts are a curious case. When I grew up, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches were THE staple for kids eating lunch in school.  Yet, with the whole building permeated with peanuts, people were not going into anaphylatic shock.

220360[/snapback]

Took the words out of my mouth.

They can also leave the milk right out on the counter.

hah, and I thought I was the only anti-milk nut out there!

http://www.NOTmilk.com

http://www.notmilk.com/pusmilk.html

218093[/snapback]

what a bunch of malarkey...the links on that site promote bad science and the references are poor as well

you want to read about milk? get your sources from pubmed (NIH's search engine for the National Library of Medicine)

i do research in the department of pediatrics

i share a fridge with a bunch of MDs and PhDs...you know what it's filled with? MILK!

Too much Iron is not good for men. Any good multi vitamin will have a mens formula without Iron.

217626[/snapback]

This is true, but unless you have an iron regulatory disease such hemochromatosis your body will only absorb the iron it needs and any excess will pass on through.

Not that anyone cares, but its time to brag about what I eat. If I only exercised I'd be the healthiest person ever.

My Diet:

Lots of noodles/rice/bread/cereal, a real lot (I love my carbs!!)

Lots of vegetables

Lean meats (no sausages)

Glass of Milk a day

Glass of OJ a day

Usually one fruit item per day.

Plenty of H20

Occasional G-plate or Pizza

No soda (always drink juice)

Minimal fats/oils

No mayo/gravy/cream cheese/sour cream or other fatty condiments

Keep fried foods to bare minimum (always baked)

Never eat fast food (stick to subway, and maybe the occasional mighty)

Minimal sweets

One serving of cheese or ice cream per day

I always eat as much as I want, never getting overly full (unbuckle belt type full) but 3 good full meals a day.

I really could write a full essay about what I eat and why and how its affected me. As usual I doubt people care about what I have to say so I won't unless people express interest in hearing it.

I do appreciate the feedback from the original question- which mostly pertained to which foods will keep you healthy and avoiding colds etc. My issue is not weight.

With some of the feedback, I think I am looking to increasing my vegatables and fruits, and yogurt intakes.