What if American football used soccer-style rules?

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have always thought this woman is an absolute assclown, and it seems she is writing this tongue-in-cheek (at least I hope she is), but some of her statements read like she pulled them right from this thread ;)

http://www.anncoulte...2014-06-25.html

Definitely tongue in cheek. While the piece was hardly funny and painful to read it is comical to see how she whips the gullible into a frenzy. They're falling all over themselves to demonstrate their outrage. She owns them.

The injury time aspect isn't completely black and white. The referee won't stop the game if a team is just about to shoot it into an empty net to tie the game. Its more of a judgement call when the required time has passed. The next goal kick, or throw-in, or even clear into midfield brings about the close to a game.

You say that..... the semi-pro team I manage played a game last year where right on half time my midfield player broke through the defence and had gone around the goalkeeper and was about to put the ball into the unguarded net when the referee blew for half time. I've never seen anything so ridiculous in all my life. We were losing 1-0 at the time as well. Did my team talk for me though, the players were properly fired up after that and we smashed them 4-1 in the end.

I'm obviously biased on this topic - soccer is in my blood it's been part of my life for as longas I can remember. My dad played professionally and managed sem-professionally, I've played semi-pro, coached sem-pro, managed semi-pro.... it's part of my cultural upbringing.

But I find myself defending soccer to Americans in very much the same terms that I end up defending American football to some people here in Britain. Both are games of huge intricacy and unless you are willing to put in signifcant amounts of time to understand those intricacies I can see why you might find either game dull, boring, even in some cases relatively unskilled.

When you actually get deeply into the strategy of the two gmes I think you would be surprised at how many of the same fundamental concepts exist.

Best thread ever! Only I think soccer should use American football rules. Every goal should count for six points and a PK awarded after each score for the extra point. That way a 3-2 game becomes 21-14 and we have high scoring! And if that's not enough, maybe we should award three points for kicking the ball over the net. Awesome sauce, I mean, how sweet would that be?

Additionally, we should have a break after each change of possession so we can watch five commercials in a row before getting back to the game. Sometimes there is just too much acutal game playing going on in soccer. I mean those guys are always running. It's hard for me to get up and get beer because of it. Plus, I think we should add a little hockey and basketball into it. Players should wear skates on the grass and there should be a little basket over the net where if you kick the ball through it, your team can automatically win.

And frack it, get rid of the skates, get on a broom and lets call it quidditch.

It's simple, slow, and acting hurt is part of the game.

It really is not simple I can assure you. It might look simple... it really isn't. Slow? It can be depending on the game, but some NFL games can be slow to all sports have good games and bad ones. Play acting? Yep, you are correct it is one of the worst elements of the sport and you will struggle to find a soccer fan who disagrees with that.

Tim Howard, is widely considered to be one of the top 5 (at least) in the world.

I'm working my way through this thread slowly and generally I think you have made some very good points CodeMonkey... but Tim Howard top 5 in the World??? He isn't even top 5 in the Premier League (although I think you can make a reasonable argument for the Premier League having 4 of the top 5 in the worldat the present time) the 5th (or actually 1st) being Manuel Neur. Howard is a good keeper... but top 5 is a bit of an overstatement. Doesn't have enough command of his penalty area to be considered elite.

I'm working my way through this thread slowly and generally I think you have made some very good points CodeMonkey... but Tim Howard top 5 in the World??? He isn't even top 5 in the Premier League (although I think you can make a reasonable argument for the Premier League having 4 of the top 5 in the worldat the present time) the 5th (or actually 1st) being Manuel Neur. Howard is a good keeper... but top 5 is a bit of an overstatement. Doesn't have enough command of his penalty area to be considered elite.

I'd argue that Brad Friedel is still better and I think Guzan might be level with him. Tim's make great saves but his play in two World Cups isn't up to par with even his best.

I think Neuer and Buffon are the top tier elite keepers. After that, I think Tim is in the next tier of maybe 10 keepers whose placement changes as their form does.