FOOTBALL vs Football

T master

I know they tried sudden death (I don't think in WC), but didn't they say everybody just played too cautiously then?

The Golden Goal or whatever it was called.

They used to re-play ties (a long time ago). Then they went with silver goal and then switched to golden goal, and now back to silver goal. The issue is that games still would head to the shoot out after 30 minutes of extra time.

In one way, I think if teams choose not to risk then they play the luck of the penalties.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're not doing a good job of defending your game! :D

It really is the lamest way to decide a game that I can think of...........It makes the NHL shootout (which I hate) look like it has integrity.

Maybe they could do corner kicks until somebody scored. At least it would involve skill and not just a lucky guess by the keeper.

For as much as the Bradys of the world BMC to the refs to try to get a call, they've got nothing on these wannabe actor/soccer players who flop around like fish after they trip themselves, trying to implicate an opponent that didn't even touch them. Said players then get carried off the field on stretchers, only to miraculously return to the field a few minutes later. Riveting.

That said, there are two plays that amaze me in soccer:

1. Bicycle Kick. Executed for a goal, this, to me, is one of the most spectacular plays in all of professional sports. Of course, it happens in -- what, one out of 5,000 matches? The coordination involved in this play is mind blowing.
  2. Header. This also requires amazing coordination. I'm not talking about an assist that just happens to brush against someone's head and trickle into the goal. I'm talking about a true header, like the one from Netherlands/Spain the other day.

Could you imagine?

• "Manuel drops back... looks left... fires right into tight coverage to Sammy Watkins... Watkins HEADS the ball to a wide-open Marquise Goodwin!!! TOUCHDOWN BUFFALO!!!"
  • "It all comes down to this, folks. This is for the division title. Bills down by 2, 4th and 15 at the New England 25 with 6 seconds remaining... The ball is snapped... What the???... EJ DROPS THE BALL!!! NO, IT'S A DROP KICK!!! SOMERSAULT BY EJ -- HE SPLITS THE UPRIGHTS!!! BILLS WIN!!! BILLS WIN!!!"

(Who wants the crack pipe next? I'm done with it). :beer:

For as much as the Bradys of the world BMC to the refs to try to get a call, they've got nothing on these wannabe actor/soccer players who flop around like fish after they trip themselves, trying to implicate an opponent that didn't even touch them. Said players then get carried off the field on stretchers, only to miraculously return to the field a few minutes later. Riveting.

That said, there are two plays that amaze me in soccer:

1. Bicycle Kick. Executed for a goal, this, to me, is one of the most spectacular plays in all of professional sports. Of course, it happens in -- what, one out of 5,000 matches? The coordination involved in this play is mind blowing.

I was watching a Women's World Cup game the last time around and saw that happen with the stretcher. Literally, she got off and went back in the game.............I thought I had seen the craziest thing ever. It sounds like it's a common occurrence. What a joke that is!

I've thought the same thing about the bicycle kick. Every once in awhile you see somebody put that highlight here or somewhere to prove the greatness of soccer, and I wonder just how much soccer I"d have to watch in order to actually see that live.

I was watching a Women's World Cup game the last time around and saw that happen with the stretcher. Literally, she got off and went back in the game.............I thought I had seen the craziest thing ever. It sounds like it's a common occurrence. What a joke that is!

I've thought the same thing about the bicycle kick. Every once in awhile you see somebody put that highlight here or somewhere to prove the greatness of soccer, and I wonder just how much soccer I"d have to watch in order to actually see that live.

Stop being a tool. The reason they take the player off in a stretcher is because they need to ensure the player can't aggravate the injury by walking on it. If the trainers need more time to examine they have to take the player off the field and the team is now down a player.

They get back on usually after getting some treatment because they only have 3 subs in a game.

Stop being a tool. The reason they take the player off in a stretcher is because they need to ensure the player can't aggravate the injury by walking on it. If the trainers need more time to examine they have to take the player off the field and the team is now down a player.

They get back on usually after getting some treatment because they only have 3 subs in a game.

Yeah, I'm being a tool............I found exactly what I watched. This was the game where eventually Abby Wambach scored real late on a header - a very famous play - to put them into the finals. I'll let anybody be the judge on this one:

Plus, they often want to clear the field as quickly as possible - no times-out. No matter the injury (or dive, for that matter), the tendency is to try to get the player off the field as quickly as possible.

Though it's amusing - and more than a little annoying, usually - to see a player writhe on the ground like he's just been gored by an elephant, get carried off, then get miraculously cured by the magic spray. Pro wrestling is less melodramatic.

Yeah, I'm being a tool............I found exactly what I watched. This was the game where eventually Abby Wambach scored real late on a header - a very famous play - to put them into the finals. I'll let anybody be the judge on this one:

So she pulled something. Got carted off and went back in. Did she dive for a pk or for her opponent to get red carded?

In the nfl they stop the game and go on 2 hour commercials when someone gets hurt.

She faked an injury to take time off the clock. If you're defending that bull ****, I don't know what to say.

Pulled something? Are you talking about a muscle or a prank?

Umm the time is added after. It's called injury time.

It's always the same - 3 minutes! It would have been three minutes if she did this or didn't do it.

Umm no. It's 30 seconds per substitution and 30-60 seconds per injury. Yesterday's italy england game was 5 min injury time.

Do your home work.

It's three minutes every time I watch. An occasional 4 minute one. I've never seen 5.........If you don't think that Brazil chick is faking it, you're hopeless.

From soccer ass kissing espn:

A desperate Brazil relied upon an array of amateur dramatics to run out the clock. Defender Erika was suddenly struck by an injury requiring prolonged treatment and the arrival of the Brazilian stretcher. This stretcher was evidently gifted with the kind of miracle healing powers traditionally only seen on religious telethons. Within seconds, she had leapt up and raced back onto the field to receive slaps on the back from her teammates and a yellow card from the referee.

http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/news/_/id/6754782/women-world-cup-marta-brazil-take-turn-dark-side-roger-bennett

But, keep saying it's legit.

There was a 5 minute yesterday. What !@#$ing planet are you from?

And espn is a soccer source now? Should i get the superbowl recap from gazzetta dello sport?

Edited by meazza

Isn't espn and abc broadcasting the World Cup? They've been trying to pump soccer for years.

And isn't this where they say 3 minutes, etc. and then nobody really knows when that three minutes is really up, because it's totally up to the ref?

I see the Swiss won a game in stoppage time yesterday. How much stoppage time you might ask? Funny, but three minutes is the answer:

Haris Seferović (#9)

Switzerland 2 - 1 90+3'

Soccer is so stupid you can't even paste a simple picture from their "Box score"

The only important thing is the last thing - 3'

So to recap, bbb doesn't like soccer for obvious reasons. Now he pulls the faking as an example. The example he presents doesn't present an advantage to the faker aside from "time wasting" which is made up in the injury time. Now he says injury time is always 3 minutes even though the ivory coast game and the italy game both had injury time of 4 minutes +.

Good luck bro. Please don't present your ignorance ass in PPP.

Cheers.

Plus, they often want to clear the field as quickly as possible - no times-out. No matter the injury (or dive, for that matter), the tendency is to try to get the player off the field as quickly as possible.

Though it's amusing - and more than a little annoying, usually - to see a player writhe on the ground like he's just been gored by an elephant, get carried off, then get miraculously cured by the magic spray. Pro wrestling is less melodramatic.

I don't disagree with you but that's a fairer point than what ever the hell bbb is trying to say.

Remember: I'm on your side. The stretcher drama (of course, a Brazilian player) was embarrassing. Even worse that it happened in women's soccer, where they don't do the Italy/Brazil drama queen stuff as much.

She faked an injury to take time off the clock. If you're defending that bull ****, I don't know what to say.

That's not how it works. Not really interested in explaining it to you. This post plus the 3' thing is just you being gatorman-ish.

Edited by John Adams

Remember: I'm on your side. The stretcher drama (of course, a Brazilian player) was embarrassing. Even worse that it happened in women's soccer, where they don't do the Italy/Brazil drama queen stuff as much.

That's not how it works. Not really interested in explaining it to you. This post plus the 3' thing is just you being gatorman-ish.

I didn't really follow that specific event but can you really kill time? You could kill momentum but they do that in other sports too (time out anyone?)

Either way I'm not here to convince anyone to watch. I understand NBA and MLB pretty well and I choose not to watch. Obviously I don't make uninformed posts about sports I don't watch or know little about.

Right. You can kill time in soccer by not releasing a punt, taking time on a free kick, etc. But not faking an injury.

I didn't write this:

A desperate Brazil relied upon an array of amateur dramatics to run out the clock. Defender Erika was suddenly struck by an injury requiring prolonged treatment and the arrival of the Brazilian stretcher. This stretcher was evidently gifted with the kind of miracle healing powers traditionally only seen on religious telethons. Within seconds, she had leapt up and raced back onto the field to receive slaps on the back from her teammates and a yellow card from the referee.

Then what was the reason for what you even admit was embarrassing? I know you don't want to explain it. Could it be because you can't?