Dan Marino sues NFL over concussions, Update: Withdraws

Funny how he did this after he was no longer affiliated with the NFL/CBS.

I'm impartial to the whole concussion discussion (fun to say). Get paid millions for a while with the possibility of prolonged illness/symptoms or put that communications degree to good use.

Not saying I don't feel for the people, but they know what they are getting into.

I thought the issue was that the players didn't know what they were getting into - that the NFL was funding physicians and studies to say that there was no chance of worsening damage from continuing to play or coming back quickly after sustaining a concussion and handing out brochures to that effect to the players.

That ain't right.

I am rather mystified by these responses.

I am sure that both of you are aware that I was quoting a well-known screwball comedy

On this same thread, Mr. Marino's toughness and integrity was questioned by others, but apparently my attempt at humor was too much.

Dan Marino deserves much praise for his strong support of Jim Kelly, but to suggest that this makes him immune from any Bills/Dolphins joshing is really a over-reaction..................imo

You mystify easily. Regardless of where the quote came from it was in poor taste especially in light of Marino's recent actions.

With the support Marino has shown JK I was hoping that this type of post wouldn't make its way into this thread. The guy wore a Kelly Strong shirt fercryinoutloud.

thank you . I know the man personally and yes he has his sins, but he gives millions tons to Charity every year, he does not need need the money. Just a few minutes ago I was reading an article aboutt Jks tournamnent.All the usial crowd were there. former Bills greats, etc. and jks buddy from the playing days, Dan Marino..

y

Does Marino even think about this stuff in advance? He knows the NFL butters his bread. Now it looks like he wants a front office position w/ Miami or maybe a new network gig. I'm sure the NFL gives him free Super Tickets and party invites for life and numerous other perks (Hall of Fame, etc..). He's not going to butt heads with them in court and lose all of those perks. He got some bad advice form someone when he signed off on being in the Lawsuit to begin with.

I thought the issue was that the players didn't know what they were getting into - that the NFL was funding physicians and studies to say that there was no chance of worsening damage from continuing to play or coming back quickly after sustaining a concussion and handing out brochures to that effect to the players.

That ain't right.

The NFL jsut settled a massive lawsuit with over 4000 former players. These current plaintiffs chose not to participate in that suit. Now they will each have to prove that they have sustain head injuries and that they sustained them solely under the employment of their pro teams/NFL--not in Pop Warner, not in high school, not in college.

They have no chance of proving that and can't win this suit. This is why the 4000 players settled for a fraction of what they were initially looking for.

Did everyone previously believe concussions were good for long term health before?

I mean come on. Take responsibility for yourselves.

Of course if you play arguably the most violent team sport in the country for 1 or 2 decades, your body will suffer long term damage.

I guess this was some kind of NFL secret in the 70s and 80s?

I wonder if they knew of all the knee, shoulder and hip stress the game imposes and how it may lead to arthritis later in life? I bet they are just covering it up so no one knows.

i guess the question is did anyone know the type of damage it could cause? and if they did, were they lying to players about it?

i know sitting in a chair all day at work probably isnt great for my back but if my employer is intentionally ordering chairs that are particularly dangerous to save a couple bucks and telling me they are specially designed for my health - id probably be upset despite taking home my paycheck.

That ain't right.

bingo. i dont think any of the players are arguing that they didnt foresee any possible injury - but if the doctors were outright lying about the risks involved, that aint right. not at all.