OT - Kind of - Super Bowl Party food

TigerJ

I have a very specific question, but first a bit of background. We have an annual Super Bowl Party at our church. One tradition is that we have at least one food item that represents each Super Bowl team. New England is pretty easy. Since lobster for everyone is out of our budget range, it's probably going to be New England clam chowder. Here's the question. Does anyone know of any snack or food that Philadelphia would be known for that would not be terribly expensive? Pilly steak and cheese is probably out of the question. If you've got a recipe, that would be an added bonus (for me).

I have a very specific question, but first a bit of background.  We have an annual Super Bowl Party at our church.  One tradition is that we have at least one food item that represents each Super Bowl team.  New England is pretty easy.  Since lobster for everyone is out of our budget range, it's probably going to be New England clam chowder.  Here's the question.  Does anyone know of any snack or food that Philadelphia would be known for that would not be terribly expensive?  Pilly steak and cheese is probably out of the question.  If you've got a recipe, that would be an added bonus (for me).

216625[/snapback]

Pretzels.

Chili, Philly is known for it's chili.

216643[/snapback]

Ummm.... what? I lived in Philly for 5 years and I never heard that. I've heard of Chili for Cincinnati, but not Philly. Most folks know about the cheesesteak. Soft preztels are sold by the bag on street corners like newspapers. Of course, it's the bread that makes these thing popular, and for some reason the bread in Philly is just better.

Have you ever had scrapple ?

Serve that up with some Yuengling, and you're on your way.

Well you can do a great Syracuse food tradition cause of the link to the Cuse, and that would be the greatest hotdog of all time that's right a Hoffman hotdog. And i mean no disrespect to WNY I'll lived here for a year and Salen's aren't bad but man Hoffman's are the best! Hope I helped a little bit

Well you can do a great Syracuse food tradition cause of the link to the Cuse, and that would be the greatest hotdog of all time that's right a Hoffman hotdog.  And i mean no disrespect to WNY I'll lived here for a year and Salen's aren't bad but man Hoffman's are the best!  Hope I helped a little bit

216927[/snapback]

serve pasta and sauce--then call the sauce "gravy" because that is what they call spaghetti sauce in Philly.

serve pasta and sauce--then call the sauce "gravy" because that is what they call spaghetti sauce in Philly.

217163[/snapback]

Gravy? That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Isn't Philly loaded with Italians? You would think they would have more pride in their sauce than to call it gravy.

Thanks guys. That gives me something to work on.

Ice cream - We have a member who is a personnel manager at a near by ice cream plant. He can get us some free.

The snapper soups sounds interesting (though we'd have to make it with beef.) We'd never find turtle meat.

Soft pretzels are a great snack food.