Memorial Day 2014

Nothing "happy" about it so I didn't post it that way.

May we all pause and give our heartfelt thanks..

A special thank you to those here on TBD who lost

someone special while they were serving to keep

our country free.

My Dad & Uncles were all WWII, and they are all gone now. I'm Viet Nam era, I say era because the closest I got to Viet Nam was the PI, I never went to Nam, BUT I'll have to say, that none of them would likely be very happy seeing how things are turning out in the USA!

WWII was special. Great cause, all time great come from behind win. I don't think we could repeat that today!

I look at the Viet nam memorial, see way too many familiar names, and just shake my head and ask WHY? May they all Rest in Peace!

Let us never forget those who fought and died for this country.

It takes a very special person to do that.

I was at Disneyland on Friday, and one thing that has become one of my favorite moments there, is the flag lowering ceremony. The pledge of allegiance is spoken, the Star Spangled Banner is played during the lowering and folding of the flags, "God Bless America" is sung, and all veterans who are attending that day are asked to come forward and stand in the circle as the the themes of the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines and Coast Guard are played.

It is a very touching moment.

Memorial Day makes me think about

My Dad, who sat on board an Infantry transport in Caribbean during the early 60s. They gave him a map of the objective. They didn't tell him it was in Cuba. They didn't tell him they had nukes. They didn't tell him he was about to start WWIII. They just gave him a map and said go get it

My Great Uncle (Mom's Father's Sister's Husband). Served on a carrier late in WWII Pacific Theatre

My Grandfather (Mom's Father). Who invaded Sicily and Italy. I was too young to appreciate his stories before he died

My Great Uncle (Dad's Mothers Brother). He served in the Splinter Fleet. He drove landing craft at Normandy, Peleliu, Iwo Jima, and Okinawa. Dude, seriously how many people can claim to be veteran of all those battles? He died when I was a toddler, unfortunately I do not remember ever meeting him. I'm sure he had a few stories!

My namesake (the guy I'm named after). Non-Blood Relative but Family Friend Part of the New York Calvary unit that hunted down John Wilkes Booth

Edited by /dev/null

Memorial Day makes me think about

My Dad, who sat on board an Infantry transport in Caribbean during the early 60s. They gave him a map of the objective. They didn't tell him it was in Cuba. They didn't tell him they had nukes. They didn't tell him he was about to start WWIII. They just gave him a map and said go get it

A Message to Garcia?

Great stories. Thanks for sharing. Here's to the true meaning of Memorial Day!