Gilmore Island?

Maybe a stretch at this point, but 24 looked like a stud last year all through TC and his unfortunate injury in PS was one of the more critical factors that led to the Bills not having a winning season last year, IMO. CB1 is one of the most difficult positions to transition to the NFL, and he has had two seasons where he started slow (once as a rookie and then after coming bacl from his injury playing with a club) but finished strong. This is a good article on him, I am optimistic - and having McLovin develop on the other side can only help his progression. Also, the fact that his DB coach is still here for continuity.

Rob Quinn @RQUINN619 · 9h

Is Stephon Gilmore the next big thing at CB? He has the tools. Detailed breakdown of his game with some All-22 clips http://buildingtheherd.com/2014/05/23/breaking-down-buffalo-bills-cb-stephon-gilmore-all-22-analysis-of-the-talented-cornerback/ …

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice find, Yolo. I've been singing Gilmore's praises since the day he was drafted, and I think he would've made that leap last year had it not been for the injury. Even when he was able to get back into the lineup, the club that he was forced to wear really limited what he was able to do. Let's face it, a big corners like Gilmore thrive when being able to get their hands on a WR right off the snap, and using a good jam to throw them off their intended route. This ability was completely negated when he first came back, and his tackling suffered as well. I full expect Gilmore to be one of a handful of true lock down corners in this league this season.

Nice find, Yolo. I've been singing Gilmore's praises since the day he was drafted, and I think he would've made that leap last year had it not been for the injury. Even when he was able to get back into the lineup, the club that he was forced to wear really limited what he was able to do. Let's face it, a big corners like Gilmore thrive when being able to get their hands on a WR right off the snap, and using a good jam to throw them off their intended route. This ability was completely negated when he first came back, and his tackling suffered as well. I full expect Gilmore to be one of a handful of true lock down corners in this league this season.

I recall in the Cincy game, they specifically targeted Gilmore on screen passes to AJ Green knowing full well that while he could cover deep OK with the club, he couldn't tackle. It was a great move by Cincy, and Pettine had to adjust but by the time he did the Bills were behind despite having very good offensive success on them. Another game we gave away.

He's got to stay healthy, and he's got to get himself comfortable playing bump & run again. When he plays loose like he did upon returning last year, his play suffers badly.

He does seem to improve as the season progresses, so I'm hoping that a full TC and season will help. If he can cut down on the # of times he turns his hips the wrong way that would help as well.

I do, however, think he'll be a very good player as long as he stays healthy though...whether or not he's shutdown material will depend on if he can accomplish the above IMO.

I recall in the Cincy game, they specifically targeted Gilmore on screen passes to AJ Green knowing full well that while he could cover deep OK with the club, he couldn't tackle. It was a great move by Cincy, and Pettine had to adjust but by the time he did the Bills were behind despite having very good offensive success on them. Another game we gave away.

Yep. It was painful to watch. And good strategy by Cincy. Tough to tackle AJ Green under normal circumstances, let alone while wearing that thing.

I am hoping Gilmore developes, but I have not seen the play that deserves all the hype he has been getting for two years from the Bills. Yep, he was a #1 pick, and has played well at times, but he didn't do much last year...and his rookie year was overrated by the Bills PR machine trying to sell us on him. As a season ticket holder, I have seen him, and he does make plays sometimes. But, no Island status, not anywhere near it yet. Now, hard to believe, but it took McKelvin 4 years in the league to figure it out...and he is finally doing what is expected of a CB.....hoping Gilmore is a little faster on the learning curve, but not so sure of that based on the two years we have seen. Good luck to him and the Bills this year.

He seems to be a very focused and hard worker, not a big talker. I follow him on Twitter and he is obsessed with film study, training and eating healthy and yoga (trying to avoid injury). I also remember when they asked Spurrier at the combine if he thought Clowney was hard worker and he responded something to the effect of he was OK, but was no Stephon Gilmore. He seems like a quiet kid but he is definitely putting in the work.

He seems to be a very focused and hard worker, not a big talker. I follow him on Twitter and he is obsessed with film study, training and eating healthy and yoga (trying to avoid injury). I also remember when they asked Spurrier at the combine if he thought Clowney was hard worker and he responded something to the effect of he was OK, but was no Stephon Gilmore. He seems like a quiet kid but he is definitely putting in the work.

These seem like attributes that will turn potential into results.

I am hoping Gilmore developes, but I have not seen the play that deserves all the hype he has been getting for two years from the Bills. Yep, he was a #1 pick, and has played well at times, but he didn't do much last year...and his rookie year was overrated by the Bills PR machine trying to sell us on him. As a season ticket holder, I have seen him, and he does make plays sometimes. But, no Island status, not anywhere near it yet. Now, hard to believe, but it took McKelvin 4 years in the league to figure it out...and he is finally doing what is expected of a CB.....hoping Gilmore is a little faster on the learning curve, but not so sure of that based on the two years we have seen. Good luck to him and the Bills this year.

completely agree

Maybe a stretch at this point, but 24 looked like a stud last year all through TC and his unfortunate injury in PS was one of the more critical factors that led to the Bills not having a winning season last year, IMO. CB1 is one of the most difficult positions to transition to the NFL, and he has had two seasons where he started slow (once as a rookie and then after coming bacl from his injury playing with a club) but finished strong. This is a good article on him, I am optimistic - and having McLovin develop on the other side can only help his progression. Also, the fact that his DB coach is still here for continuity.

Rob Quinn @RQUINN619 · 9h

Is Stephon Gilmore the next big thing at CB? He has the tools. Detailed breakdown of his game with some All-22 clips http://buildingthehe...rback/ …

He is a the real thing for shutdown corners!

Go Bills!