New stadium = good-bye to tailgating?

Let's assume the average PSL is $4,000 charged on 60,000 seats. (The Bills can leave a few thousands seats without PSL's like they did with the Jets.) That's $240,000,000...a quarter billion.

Do you think the Bills would sell 60,000 PSL's at $4,000 a piece? I think even attempting that could be catastrophic to the season ticket numbers. Unless of course the Bills really turn the team around starting this year and become a contender.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you think the Bills would sell 60,000 PSL's at $4,000 a piece? I think even attempting that could be catastrophic to the season ticket numbers. Unless of course the Bills really turn the team around starting this year and become a contender.

I was using $4K as an example, one that is quite a bit lower than the average NFL PSL. The Bills are going to have to work out the number. Maybe they don't do PSL's but raise ticket prices by $30-$50? Either way the fans are going to be covering part of the cost of a new stadium. Figure NYS/Fans/Owner splitting the cost 3 ways. That is the "New NFL" they are talking about. It's not tailgating so much as getting in line with the rest of the league on what it costs to be a fan. If we can't handle it then the Jerry Jones of the NFL have a point about Buffalo being too small.

If they move the stadium downtown, or NF. Tailgating is over. At least as we know it. It'll be like corporate beer tents for our foreseeable future.

Which is why I'd rather perform a Chicago Bears, GB Packers, KC Chiefs type renovation on the Ralph. Add another level over the end zones on top of the scoreboards or something. But keep the team playing where they are.

100% Greed. We do not need a new stadium in order for the Bills to be here. Totally blown out of proportion by Goodell and the owners! Just money grabbers in outmost sense of the word.

100% Greed. We do not need a new stadium in order for the Bills to be here. Totally blown out of proportion by Goodell and the owners! Just money grabbers in outmost sense of the word.

And?

It's reality. Hopefully Buffalo can step up. Fans who are not able to pay individually will hopefully band together and work out PSL & ticket sharing arrangements that will enable them to contribute. It may take a regionwide "banding together" effort to keep the team viable.

I'm not what most would call wealthy, or even rich, but I can part with $4k in cash tomorrow for a PSL and not have it affect my lifestyle (or that of my family) at all. I'm not saying that to say I'm great or anything, moreso to point out that if I can do it, there's got to be 40k-50k other folks out of the +1M in the Greater Buffalo Area that can do so as well.

Would they? Well, how's your team doing, what's the venue like, where's it located, and how stable is ownership?

I'm not what most would call wealthy, or even rich, but I can part with $4k in cash tomorrow for a PSL and not have it affect my lifestyle (or that of my family) at all. I'm not saying that to say I'm great or anything, moreso to point out that if I can do it, there's got to be 40k-50k other folks out of the +1M in the Greater Buffalo Area that can do so as well.

Would they? Well, how's your team doing, what's the venue like, where's it located, and how stable is ownership?

What people fail to realize is the PSL's only apply to season tickets.

So you will have 2 options:

1) Pay the $4 Grand for PSL and get season tickets at X amount of dollars

2) Wait until ticket sales get open to others and buy a ticket to each game for Y amount of dollars ( X/10 + yearly PSL supplement + the season ticket discount difference)

So out of 44,000 people who have season tickets, this may cause it to drop in half if not 1/3...But I still dont think The Ralph ver 2.0 will be empty...the fans will still show up to support the product if it is worth supporting.

People will just go about it a different way to save a few bucks.

It's not 40k-50k out of 1M+ in the area. It's 40k-50k of the 50k-60k season ticket holders.

It's also not just about being able to afford it. It's about the thought of people giving their hard earned money to billionaires for essentially no real reason and getting nothing in return "The owners make millions upon millions of dollars every year. Why do they need my $4k?"

Maybe enough people would go for it, I'm not sure. But even if I loved going to games and was a long time season ticket holder I would have a hard time choking that down.

Edited by CodeMonkey

It's not 40k-50k out of 1M+ in the area. It's 40k-50k of the 50k-60k season ticket holders.

I'm not sure I know what you're saying...would you mind clarifying?

For my part, I'm saying that there is an ample supply of customer money to purchase enough PSLs to contribute to stadium funding.

1. This is now "The War on Tailgaiting", and B&S(Mike Schopp and Bulldog) has made it so.

2. I see no reason that tailgating or not tailgating is anywhere near the top of our priority list.

3. How about we start with something like dome or no dome...you know...something that actually matters?

4. The only reason this is being brought up is because it sparks Bills fans, whose fond memories of their yearly family tailgate(at least) are now cast into doubt...um...like, around 4 years from now. Why the hell we need sparking about this right now, is anyone's guess.

5. I am all for the best idea. If the best idea/most workable is downtown, great. I can ride the train, just like I do for Sabres games, and so can a buttload of fans. We can do various types of tailigating in all sorts of places.

Example: I'd buy the open lot across from me right friggin now(by a train stop), and turn myself into Hammer the 2nd. I'd have a F'ing pig roast(and you bet your ass I know how)/keg beer/wine @$15 per person and $50 for 4 people. I would have bands, games, and off-duty cops for security. Kids are welcome, but, they don't run things here. This would be a tailgate for all, and thus, all, including cussing drunks are welcome. Besides, why not work with that? Cussing drunk tricycle races, cussing drunk poetry reading...I might even dig a pit for cussing drunk gladiators(nerfed of course).

What kid doesn't want to see cussing drunk pretend WWF? Put into the proper context, how is cussing drunk WWF, from a distance, not family entertainment? See? I can make this work, and so can everybody else.

Thus, this is not about tailgating....this is about a small set of people who are moving away from the NFL, to the PGA.....because that's who they are becoming(or always were)...and them trying to force their old ass values onto the rest of us.

The simple fact is: many of you anti-tailgate people? This isn't about a "getting old" thing. You weren't a tailgater when you were 18. You're not one now. Just admit that to yourself...and stop trying to pretend that this is about us, and not you.

Hammer the 2nd? Your example thoughts on how to operate a parking lot- gathering place is totaly opposite of how I think.

Edited by Hammered a Lot

Here's what the Vikings are doing for their stadium PSL's. http://www.newminnes....com/seating/ Minnesota seems like a better comparison to us than is NYC. The PSL's are graduated based on location just like ticket prices are now. So assuming the average is $4k, some might be $500, others $8k, and everywhere in between. The Vikings also give you 8 years to pay for it. That's not exactly outrageous. There are a lot of fans that could swing that. And if you're that worried about affording it why not start saving now? A new stadium is at least 5 years away. Set aside $15/week now and by the time PSL's are due you have the cash in hand. And if the stadium is never built and the Bills move away you can take a nice vacation to drown your sorrows. Edited by UpperDeck

The new stadium in Minnesota has a VERY interesting layout and pricing structure. On the home side, the club seats go all the way down to the field. The visitors side as SBL's (stadium building licenses) and are generally much less expensive. The fact that you can pay for the SBLs over 8 years makes it much easier to handle.

A while back there was a thread about a Bills Fan Alliance where's folks would buy shares for thousands of dollars. How is a PSL any different?

Really the only differences are the "shareholder" does not buy the rights to a seat and the team owner just uses that money for an interest free loan. I don't think it is outright free money for him.

The new stadium in Minnesota has a VERY interesting layout and pricing structure. On the home side, the club seats go all the way down to the field. The visitors side as SBL's (stadium building licenses) and are generally much less expensive. The fact that you can pay for the SBLs over 8 years makes it much easier to handle.

I think the SBL's are significantly more on the home side because those are club seats. They have access to the restaurants, bars, etc. The visitor side just has regular seating.

A while back there was a thread about a Bills Fan Alliance where's folks would buy shares for thousands of dollars. How is a PSL any different?

Sorry, I'm breaking into this conversation without reading all the prior posts. Can groups of people combine funds to purchase a PSL? I live in Georgia. I'm not rich by any means, but I would kick in some money towards a PSL to keep the team in Buffalo. I wouldn't expect to go to a game or anything. I just want the team in Buffalo.

:flirt:

I'm not sure I know what you're saying...would you mind clarifying?

For my part, I'm saying that there is an ample supply of customer money to purchase enough PSLs to contribute to stadium funding.

Sorry just saw this.

You stated "there's got to be 40k-50k other folks out of the +1M in the Greater Buffalo Area that can do so as well."

Only 50k to 60k people out of that +1M are season ticket holders, the others do not matter as they will not be buying a PSL.

So basically I am saying change

"there's got to be 40k-50k other folks out of the +1M in the Greater Buffalo Area that can do so as well."

to

"there's got to be 40k-50k other folks out of the 60K season ticket holders that can do so as well.".

There could well be enough people willing to buy a PSL. But 2/3 or more of the current season ticket holders? Not sure.

Edited by CodeMonkey

Sorry just saw this.

You stated "there's got to be 40k-50k other folks out of the +1M in the Greater Buffalo Area that can do so as well."

Only 50k to 60k people out of that +1M are season ticket holders, the others do not matter as they will not be buying a PSL.

So basically I am saying change

"there's got to be 40k-50k other folks out of the +1M in the Greater Buffalo Area that can do so as well."

to

"there's got to be 40k-50k other folks out of the 60K season ticket holders that can do so as well.".

There could well be enough people willing to buy a PSL. But 2/3 or more of the current season ticket holders? Not sure.

Ok that's what I figured...personally, I think it'll be a shifting demographic of fans combined with a partial carryover...I do expect they'll have no issue hitting the 40k PSL benchmark though.

This private funding sounds too good to be true, but worth checking out

Outer Harbor stadium proposal

On October 23, 2012, George Hasiotis and Nicholas Stracick of Greater Buffalo Sports and Entertainment Complex, a Delaware-based LLC, presented a rendered plan created by architect firm HKS, Inc. to the Buffalo Common Council. The plan included a $1.4 billion, seventy-two thousand seat retractable roof stadium, convention center, hotel and sports museum plan for the Buffalo Outer Harbor.[4] At first this plan was met with some cynicism, in particular because of the feasibility of the project.

On December 11, the company met with local AFL-CIO members to discuss the amount of jobs created by the proposed project, which was said to be 10,000. Stracick also disclosed that there are "15 private, secret sponsors" willing to fund the project. He also stated that no tax money would be used to fund a stadium.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Buffalo_Bills_Stadium