Doug Marrone and the Culture he is Creating

Last year and this year Marrone and Whaley are trimming the dead weight. Guys who didn't produce, were immature, past their prime, off field issues, didn't want to be in Buffalo anymore. Byrd,Carrington, Johnson,Moats.

They replaced them with players for the most part who bring something better to the team. Spikes, Graham, Dixon, Williams.

I'm excited for Watkins and our round 2 and 3 picks.

Arthur Moates was a cancer, didn't want to be in Buffalo? Did I miss something?

Let me preface this comment by saying that I feel more optimistic about this team than I have since the Tom Donohoe years. I love the team they are building...and it doesn't feel like just more or the same, even though the results, record wise were pretty much the same as they have been for a while. As pleased as I am, I am still not sure if I completely sold on Marrone, and his coaching staff. I don't hate them, but I feel like last season left me with as many questions as answers about our coaching staff. I am reserving judgment for now. I think most of my optimism about the team comes from Doug Whaley.

Whaley didn't pick Marrone to be HC so I would not be so quick to think this is Marrone's plan or culture. Whaley knows this is likely his only shot (black men rarely get second chances in the NFL) and he is not going to let anyone else have an impact on his success.

I like Marrone and Whaley and the direction the Bills are on. I just hope the new owner likes the Direction.

The Bills have more talent on the roster right now than they've had in a decade. It's really all on Manuel and I believe the kid will at least be a competent QB. I'm just not sure he'll reach that level of consistency before year 3. Hopefully he proves me wrong and he's able to do it in year two.

I don't see how any Bills fan can't like what Whaley is building here , we haven't had this type of movement in the draft since Pollian was here !

You need a GM that isn't afraid to go get the guy he needs to win & then the way he traded Sj to get back some of the picks he gave up great moves !!

So the guy who was cut/walked out on Marrone in Syracuse and then dumped by Cincy is now perfect for this new "Great Marrone Culture"?

Well at least they both understand where the other is coming from. Why not give Williams the benefit of the doubt and say that he knows what the drill is going to be and will shape up or ship out.

This guy sure is good at corporate speak but that is the easy part. All the values must align? Great. Then he explains his definition of values by what kind of juice he likes? And that doesn't worry anyone?

I would prefer he valued winning over having everyone agree with him yet Johnson and Hilliard are gone and Crossman appears to be too busy drinking his apple juice to notice LeGarrette Blount.

When the Bills hired Coach Marrone, this article stood out to me:

http://www.syracuse.com/orangefootball/index.ssf/2013/01/new_buffalo_bills_coach_doug_m.html

"The Bronx native immediately set out to change the culture of the Orange program — instituting a discipline and dress code that was an abrupt departure from the previous coaching staff. More than 20 players left the SU program during Marrone’s first 15 months on the job."

I believe that it is virtually impossible to win without great culture. People might say that, but not many people actually understand what great culture looks like. Well I'll tell you:

Great culture is achieved when people with similar values align themselves to accomplish something great.

People also misuse the term "values". They will substitute it for words like "integrity" or "morals". Values are not about right or wrong. Values are about defining what is important to you. For instance, maybe I value apple juice, and you value orange juice. That doesn't mean one is better than the other, it means that this one is important to me, and that one is important to you.

Doug Marrone is doing in Buffalo is EXACTLY why he was brought here. He is building a great culture. The news about Stevie Johnson is tough to swallow. He was one of my favourite players. But how many times did we hear rumblings that he just wasn't fitting in properly? Or that he couldn't quite get on the same page with this coaching staff? If I had to guess, it's not that Stevie wasn't a good teammate, or a good player, but rather he just looked at the world a little bit differently than everyone else did. Tough to win when one of your most important players is dancing to a different beat than the rest of your team. I'm not saying thats what happen, I don't know and neither do you. Just an assumption on my part.

I would also guess that Byrd was doing some damage to the culture. I don't blame him for holding out for more money. But I do think his situation was a distraction that had a negative effect on the locker room.

This presents a bit of a double edged sword for me as a Bills fan. Stevie and Byrd were two of my favourite players. But if they didn't fit in to the culture properly, then it is good that they were let go. You can't win without great culture and great culture ALWAYS starts at the top. I hate to see these players go, but if this is what it takes to win, then I am all for it.

I'm sure I'll get bashed for this one. Bash away! And if you want to tweet at me, get me at @ElPlungeo

Go Bills!

Agreed! You are either with me (Marrone and Bills) or against me. I agree with it and support it!

I like Marrone and Whaley and the direction the Bills are on. I just hope the new owner likes the Direction.

Wink and the gun.

This guy sure is good at corporate speak but that is the easy part. All the values must align? Great. Then he explains his definition of values by what kind of juice he likes? And that doesn't worry anyone?

I would prefer he valued winning over having everyone agree with him yet Johnson and Hilliard are gone and Crossman appears to be too busy drinking his apple juice to notice LeGarrette Blount.

Funny!

PS. I hate Crossman. He concerns me and that is my only big issue with Marrone so far.