Cleveland Browns' Draft Picks

USA TODAY Sports@USATODAYsports 18h

Browns head coach denies rumor that the team almost took Teddy Bridgewater over Johnny Manziel: http://usat.ly/1jTkZ29

And the Vikings were going to take Manzeil and "settled" for Bridgewater. Not sure if any of this is true but I would not doubt that Haslam story at all and I am not so sure Pettine was all in on Manzeil.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is funny that you have a Browns thread on your site!! I feel so welcome! I am not a fan of the Manzeil pick at all and most everyone I know wanted a different QB. The Gilbert pick is OK but not sure that was a big need. We all wanted Watkins, and we passed on the elite player, again. Julio Jones 2.0. Don't talk to me about future draft picks. Being a Browns fan is always about getting picks for the future. How about taking the player NOW for once? I'm pissed. And Derek Carr is the better NFL prospect. My cousin is in the FO for the Chargers and I am not the only one who thinks that.

Lifelong Browns fan here. I would have taken a different QB - Carr or Bridgewater at 26 (or 22 if I thought I had to trade up). I was very happy with the compensation in the Bills trade. At 4 I'd have gone with Mack if no trade. I loved what the Browns did overall. The positions they took and where they took them hit almost exactly like I thought it would happen. I expected a higher trade up for the quarterback and I expected to safety late, but those were the only differences.

I can't believe they passed on the chance to draft Mack. He'd be such a beast in Pettine's defense. Seems ridiculous to me.

True, but a second corner who could play in Pettine's defensive scheme was a necessity. They did what they had to do to get that piece where they needed to get it. I played around with a lot of of the mock draft generators. They were not good for projecting where specific players would go, but they did give a great idea of where the tiers of talent at different positions would be. A corner the caliber of what Pettine needs had to be an early first. There's a reason that the Browns tried hard to get Revis this offseason. Have they done that I think Mack would've been the pick.

I think the Browns had a great draft before the news of Gordon facing a year long ban came out. After that they've got Jordan Cameron and not much else in terms of play-makers on offense.

I really hate people dinging a draft because a team didn't fill a perceived need. It makes it impossible for teams with multiple needs to ever get a good grade. And even when teams do take a player at a position of need, how often do those players make it? I'm glad that the Browns didn't panic over the probable suspension for Gordon - especially when they don't know how long that suspension will be. There is still plenty of time for them to find a stopgap.

The Browns had a terrible draft. I have not talked to one Browns fan who is happy. There were some that were initially excited about the potential of Manziel (not me), but now we have no WRs, Farmer neglected to draft any, and Hoyer is the starter per Pettine which means it is going to be another long, 4 win season filled with QB drama over wanting Manzeil to start. They could have had Watkins but instead they wanted another pick - for next year?. This franchise is cursed. It is always wait until next year, ALWAYS. I just wish they would address the needs now instead of holding up a "be patient, under construction" sign.

Well I'm very happy with the draft - and I'm not even a Manziel fan. I see his incredible upside, but I just think that he has a tremendous amount of risk. I liked him a heck of a lot better and 22 than I would've at 4 though. If anything I'm incredibly pleasantly surprised overall. I honestly didn't think that they could pull off what they did. A second shutdown corner, a potential franchise quarterback (even if the odds are longer than I would like), an almost certain starter at guard, a probable starter at ILB, a rotational RB and another developmental CB.

I'm not just being a homer here. Gilbert was the best fit at CB for Pettine's defense. Check. I'd have gone with Bridgewater or Carr instead of Manziel. I'm hoping we hit our inside straight on that gamble. I love his upside, but just think the odds of him reaching it are long. I did think that we would get our quarterback in a trade up from 26. We were going to have to take a guard or an inside linebacker in the second. The talent drop off was huge. I expected Sua-Filo, Bitonio or Chandler Jones. We got Bitonio. (Incidentally we signed Chandler Jones as a UDFA). In the third round we got ILB Christian Kirksey to fill that need. He wasn't a guy that I knew much about to be honest. From what I've seen and read I think he can be a solid player overall, although I don't ever see him providing a pass rush. We also got RB Terrence West in a trade up to replace the third they gave up in the 26 to 22 trade. CB Pierre Desir was the last pick. Both were specific small school players that I wanted to Brown's draft. I'd have loved a free safety (although I wonder if Desir was drafted to play there or CB) and there were a couple other guys I would've loved to see them draft, but you can't get them all. The cherry on top is the extra first, fourth and sixth round picks in the 2015 draft. I don't see how someone doesn't love this draft.

The one glaring thing that is a huge negative is that the Browns don't have a sure franchise quarterback. Until they know they have a proven QB that they can count on they will only go so far.

Cleveland took a the 3rd best Corner after swapping a pick with minnesota to move up one spot. No one was taking Gilbert at 8! That move was so unneccessary! And then they paniced and had to move up to take their Franchise QB? That isn't what I call brilliant?

What this guy said!

Lifelong Browns fan here. I would have taken a different QB - Carr or Bridgewater at 26 (or 22 if I thought I had to trade up). I was very happy with the compensation in the Bills trade. At 4 I'd have gone with Mack if no trade. I loved what the Browns did overall. The positions they took and where they took them hit almost exactly like I thought it would happen. I expected a higher trade up for the quarterback and I expected to safety late, but those were the only differences.

True, but a second corner who could play in Pettine's defensive scheme was a necessity. They did what they had to do to get that piece where they needed to get it. I played around with a lot of of the mock draft generators. They were not good for projecting where specific players would go, but they did give a great idea of where the tiers of talent at different positions would be. A corner the caliber of what Pettine needs had to be an early first. There's a reason that the Browns tried hard to get Revis this offseason. Have they done that I think Mack would've been the pick.

I really hate people dinging a draft because a team didn't fill a perceived need. It makes it impossible for teams with multiple needs to ever get a good grade. And even when teams do take a player at a position of need, how often do those players make it? I'm glad that the Browns didn't panic over the probable suspension for Gordon - especially when they don't know how long that suspension will be. There is still plenty of time for them to find a stopgap.

Well I'm very happy with the draft - and I'm not even a Manziel fan. I see his incredible upside, but I just think that he has a tremendous amount of risk. I liked him a heck of a lot better and 22 than I would've at 4 though. If anything I'm incredibly pleasantly surprised overall. I honestly didn't think that they could pull off what they did. A second shutdown corner, a potential franchise quarterback (even if the odds are longer than I would like), an almost certain starter at guard, a probable starter at ILB, a rotational RB and another developmental CB.

I'm not just being a homer here. Gilbert was the best fit at CB for Pettine's defense. Check. I'd have gone with Bridgewater or Carr instead of Manziel. I'm hoping we hit our inside straight on that gamble. I love his upside, but just think the odds of him reaching it are long. I did think that we would get our quarterback in a trade up from 26. We were going to have to take a guard or an inside linebacker in the second. The talent drop off was huge. I expected Sua-Filo, Bitonio or Chandler Jones. We got Bitonio. (Incidentally we signed Chandler Jones as a UDFA). In the third round we got ILB Christian Kirksey to fill that need. He wasn't a guy that I knew much about to be honest. From what I've seen and read I think he can be a solid player overall, although I don't ever see him providing a pass rush. We also got RB Terrence West in a trade up to replace the third they gave up in the 26 to 22 trade. CB Pierre Desir was the last pick. Both were specific small school players that I wanted to Brown's draft. I'd have loved a free safety (although I wonder if Desir was drafted to play there or CB) and there were a couple other guys I would've loved to see them draft, but you can't get them all. The cherry on top is the extra first, fourth and sixth round picks in the 2015 draft. I don't see how someone doesn't love this draft.

The one glaring thing that is a huge negative is that the Browns don't have a sure franchise quarterback. Until they know they have a proven QB that they can count on they will only go so far.

I think Gilbert was a good pick. I can't find any excuses for not taking a WR. None. I don't understand the praising of them "sticking to their draft board." How about trying to give your rookie QB some weapons? They knew Gordon would not be available for at least half the season and they needed a WR before that! It was a loaded draft for WRs, they could have gotten a nice #2 option as late as the 3rd or 4th rd. I do not understand this team. Other than they think they are smarter than everyone else.

I think Gilbert was a good pick. I can't find any excuses for not taking a WR. None. I don't understand the praising of them "sticking to their draft board." How about trying to give your rookie QB some weapons? They knew Gordon would not be available for at least half the season and they needed a WR before that! It was a loaded draft for WRs, they could have gotten a nice #2 option as late as the 3rd or 4th rd. I do not understand this team. Other than they think they are smarter than everyone else.

I'm not saying that they don't need a wide receiver to step in for Gordon if and when he is out. But I don't think that the wide receivers available in the third or fourth round were going to be any better than what they have in the roster now. Even an earlier draft pick wasn't going to come right in and make a difference. I think they're better off acquiring one who can help them immediately via trade or after cut downs if they think they still need one. One last thing to consider is Shanny2's offensive scheme. The number two wide receiver does not have a big role. There are players on the roster now but can cover that. The X and slot receivers do, however. And we covered the slot WR spot with Hawkins.

I'm not saying that they don't need a wide receiver to step in for Gordon if and when he is out. But I don't think that the wide receivers available in the third or fourth round were going to be any better than what they have in the roster now. Even an earlier draft pick wasn't going to come right in and make a difference. I think they're better off acquiring one who can help them immediately via trade or after cut downs if they think they still need one. One last thing to consider is Shanny2's offensive scheme. The number two wide receiver does not have a big role. There are players on the roster now but can cover that. The X and slot receivers do, however. And we covered the slot WR spot with Hawkins.

That's good news considering it is Greg Little! They went heavily after Hawkins so I know they have a plan for him, The problem is the #1 WR now. I think they are not in win-now mode, which is what it is. They are depending on Gordon for a lot no matter how it plays out, and he has not shown that he can be dependable. They should have one of the best defenses in the league with what they had in place already, their FA pick ups, and all of their draft picks. If they don't, that will be a bigger issue. Edited by YoloinOhio

That's good news considering it is Greg Little! They went heavily after Hawkins so I know they have a plan for him, The problem is the #1 WR now. I think they are not in win-now mode, which is what it is. They are depending on Gordon for a lot no matter how it plays out, and he has not shown that he can be dependable. They should have one of the best defenses in the league with what they had in place already, their FA pick ups, and all of their draft picks. If they don't, that will be a bigger issue.

Or Nate Burleson fresh off of another broken arm. No pizza involved this time. The dark horse to watch is Charles Johnson, a small school player who the Browns snagged off of Green Bay's practice squad last season when he was a rookie. Small school prospect (Grand Valley State I think) who is a physical freak. 6'2" & 215 lbs. 4.39 & 4.38 40s at his pro day. 11'1" broad jump. 39.5" vertical. Lots of Browns fans are chomping at the bit to see him. For some reason the Packers didn't IR him with a torn ACL and left himm on their practice squad. The Browns didn't know he had it until after they signed him. Apparently he's good to go now though.

Edited to add: maybe even Travis Benjamin would be a good #2 WR in this scheme. He would be doing what Santana Moss did in that position.

Edited by BarleyNY

The Steelers took Martavis Bryant in the 3rd and saying he is going to start for them. If Gordon is out or not, I think Bryant is better than anyone else they have now. I think they should have gone for Marquis Lee in the 2nd, personally. But maybe this Charles Johnson guy will pan out... saw an interesting tweet from Evan Silva about him in college, Sounds promising..

The Steelers took Martavis Bryant in the 3rd and saying he is going to start for them. If Gordon is out or not, I think Bryant is better than anyone else they have now. I think they should have gone for Marquis Lee in the 2nd, personally. But maybe this Charles Johnson guy will pan out... saw an interesting tweet from Evan Silva about him in college, Sounds promising..

Martavis Bryant is a good call here. He might be the exception to my point. I'd have been very okay with the Browns taking him in the third. He could really be a player if he keeps his head on straight.

Im firmly in the camp that Johnny Football's game doesn't translate to the NFL. I'll go old school and say at his best he's Fran Tarkenton, and that crap wont cut in today's NFL. I think he will be a regular on the injury report. The only thing that Cleveland fans might have some hope in is that they have 2 1's next year to right this wrong to move up and get the right guy next year.

What do you all think of Cleveland's picks? It sounds like they wanted Manziel prior to the draft, and they were able to get him at the back end of the 1st round.

I just saw on ESPN that the Browns tried to get Cousins in a trade with Washington for a 4th round pick. This tells me they weren't 100% sold on Johnny Football...

I just saw on ESPN that the Browns tried to get Cousins in a trade with Washington for a 4th round pick. This tells me they weren't 100% sold on Johnny Football...

Also a rumor that they had Bridgewater written on the draft card and Haslam made them change it to Manziel. Not sure if that is true, but the fact that they are trying to squash JFF's image already by publically announcing that they sat down with him like he's 16 years old to explain that Cleveland is not Hollywood and he needs to act like a backup QB (before he has even done anything wrong) and limiting media access to him, etc means they are not comfortable with the guy they drafted, because they are already trying to change him. He is a 1st rd draft pick competing with a UDFA on his 5th team who had been a 3rd stringer almost his whole career and he should assume he will be the backup? OK.

Also a rumor that they had Bridgewater written on the draft card and Haslam made them change it to Manziel. Not sure if that is true, but the fact that they are trying to squash JFF's image already by publically announcing that they sat down with him like he's 16 years old to explain that Cleveland is not Hollywood and he needs to act like a backup QB (before he has even done anything wrong) and limiting media access to him, etc means they are not comfortable with the guy they drafted, because they are already trying to change him. He is a 1st rd draft pick competing with a UDFA on his 5th team who had been a 3rd stringer almost his whole career and he should assume he will be the backup? OK.

If there is any truth to this at all, look for the Browns to implode. Especially if Haslam succumbs to fan pressure to put Manziel in there before he's ready.

And he ain't ready.

GO BILLS!!!

Sounds like a good urban legend...

The reason the Browns may be handling JFF with such kid gloves (limiting media access, telling him he is the backup) is because of how big RG3 got in Washington and became the "boss" of the Redskins. Shanahan dealt with that. They want to make sure there is respect with the coaches.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/15/rg3-not-tebow-could-be-driving-browns-handling-of-manziel/