May Movies: X-Men, Godzilla, Spider-Man, & Maleficent.....

Mark Vader

And what did the wife think of it?

She enjoyed it described it as "a good movie" she literally has apparently never seen an entire godzilla movie and has vague recollections of seeing parts of a black and white godzilla movie so was caught off guard by it all. She had a good time I think. There was enough humanity in the movie to keep her interest.

She enjoyed it described it as "a good movie" she literally has apparently never seen an entire godzilla movie and has vague recollections of seeing parts of a black and white godzilla movie so was caught off guard by it all. She had a good time I think. There was enough humanity in the movie to keep her interest.

Good. This is not a movie that most women will find appealing. Hopefully, good words will spread and more people will see it.

It exceeded expectations by making an estimated 93 million at the box office this weekend. And with Memorial Day weekend coming up, the second week drop may not be too severe. We shall see.

• 3 weeks later...

Saw "Maleficent" last night. This is not the Sleeping Beauty story we grew up with from the Disney animated classic.

Angelina Jolie does a splendid job as the wicked fairy, and Sharlto Copley is great as Stefan, although I did not like the way his character was fleshed out. Splendid visuals all around.

I did not come away loving this movie, as I had a tough time contradicting everything I had originally grown up with from the animated movie, but I still enjoyed it. The movie has a good blend of drama, comedy and at times terror.

Elle Fanning is absolutely adorable as the lively Aurora, and there are some amazing shots that look as if they took what was from the animated classic and were able to turn it into the exact same thing via live action.

This movie is a great reminder to us all that Angelina Jolie is a talented actor.

FYI. I saw Godzilla a while ago. Was not a fan at all. In fact hated it really. It had such potential. Instead there was only about 12 minutes of actual Godzilla on screen. And when he was, the puny little humans are fighting over killing all the giant monsters or letting them duke it out in a battle. I don't know the lore behind Godzilla as I was too young when I used to watch many of the originals but I can't imagine in today's world some guy tells a Navy Admiral to not fire and let them fight and the Admiral letting that go down as they approach one of the United States largest cities.

Lame.

Here are the Independent Films of May.

Marion Cotillard, Joaquin Phoenix & Jeremy Renner star in "The Immigrant". On the mean streets of Manhattan, Ewa falls prey to Bruno, a charming but wicked man who takes her in and forces her into prostitution.

Philip Seymour Hoffman stars in "God's Pocket". When Mickey's crazy step-son Leon is killed in a construction 'accident', nobody in the working class neighborhood of God's Pocket is sorry he's gone. Mickey tries to bury the bad news with the body, but when the boy's mother demands the truth, Mickey finds himself stuck in a life-and-death struggle between a body he can't bury, a wife he can't please and a debt he can't pay. Also starring Richard Jenkins, Christina Hendricks & John Turturro.

Two movies feature Jesse Eisenberg:

The first is "The Double". A clerk in a government agency finds his unenviable life takes a turn for the horrific with the arrival of a new co-worker who is both his exact physical double and his opposite - confident, charismatic and seductive with women. Also starring Mia Wasikowska, Wallace Shawn & Noah Taylor.

The second is, "Night Moves". Three radical environmentalists look to execute the protest of their lives: the explosion of a hydroelectric dam. Also starring Dakota Fanning, Peter Sarsgaard & Alia Shawkat.

Robin Williams is, "The Angriest Man in Brooklyn". A curmudgeonly man is mistakenly told that he has 90 minutes to live by his doctor and promptly sets out to reconcile with his wife, brother and friends in the short time he believes he has left. Also starring Mila Kunis, Peter Dinklage & Melissa Leo.

Clive Owen and Juliette Binoche star in "Words and Pictures". An art instructor and an English teacher form a rivalry that ends up with a competition at their school in which students decide whether words or pictures are more important. Also starring Bruce Davison & Amy Brenneman.

Elizabeth Banks stars in "Walk of Shame". A reporter's dream of becoming a news anchor is compromised after a one-night stand leaves her stranded in downtown L.A. without a phone, car, ID or money - and only 8 hours to make it to the most important job

interview of her life. Also starring James Marsden, Gillian Jacobs & Sarah Wright.

James McAcoy stars in "Filth". A corrupt cop manipulates and hallucinates his way through a bid to secure a promotion and win back his wife and daughter. Also starring Jamie Bell, Eddie Marsan & Imogen Poots.

Emma Roberts & James Franco star in "Palo Alto". Palo Alto weaves together three stories of teenage lust, boredom, and self-destruction: shy, sensitive April, torn between an illicit flirtation with her soccer coach and an unrequited crush on sweet stoner Teddy; Emily, who offers sexual favors to any boy to cross her path; and the increasingly dangerous exploits of Teddy and his best friend Fred, whose behavior may or may not be sociopathic. Also starring Val Kilmer, Zoe Levin, Chris Messina, Jack Kilmer & Nat Wolff.

Taylor Kitsch & Brendan Gleeson star in "The Grand Seduction". The small harbor of Tickle Cove is in dire need of a doctor so that the town can land a contract to secure a factory which will save the town from financial ruin. Village resident Murray French leads the search, and when he finds Dr. Paul Lewis he employs - along with the whole town - tactics to seduce the doctor to stay permanently.

In "Belle", An illegitimate mixed race daughter of a Royal Navy Admiral is raised by her aristocratic great-uncle. Starring Gugu Mbatha-Raw, Tom Wilkinson, Miranda Richardson, Penelope Wilton, Matthew Goode & Emily Watson.

Finally, in "Cold In July", When a protective father meets a murderous ex-con, both need to deviate from the path they are on as they soon find themselves entangled in a downwards spiral of lies and violence while having to confront their own inner psyche. Starring Michael C. Hall, Sam Shepard, Don Johnson & Vinessa Shaw.

Calendar with Trailers

Note: These dates are for Exclusive or Limited Release, these movies may appear in your area at a later date.

5/2

"Belle": http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi2062854169/

"Walk of Shame": http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi552774425/

5/9

"God's Pocket": http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi1828236569/

"The Double": http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi1022732825/

"Palo Alto": http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi1170189593/

5/16

"The Immigrant": http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi3454184729/

5/23

"Cold In July": http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi2715987225/

"Words and Pictures": http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi508013081/

"The Angriest Man In Brooklyn": http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi1032105241/

5/30

"Night Moves": http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi2773330457/

"Filth": http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi910404121/

"The Grand Seduction": http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi568831257/

That's all for now. I will have the June Movies up very soon. Until then.....Enjoy!

FYI. I saw Godzilla a while ago. Was not a fan at all. In fact hated it really. It had such potential. Instead there was only about 12 minutes of actual Godzilla on screen. And when he was, the puny little humans are fighting over killing all the giant monsters or letting them duke it out in a battle. I don't know the lore behind Godzilla as I was too young when I used to watch many of the originals but I can't imagine in today's world some guy tells a Navy Admiral to not fire and let them fight and the Admiral letting that go down as they approach one of the United States largest cities.

Lame.

Alright, but to be fair, they did try using the military in Hawaii and at the Golden Gate Bridge, and that did nothing to stop Godzilla.

They also did have the plan to detonate in the Bay harbor to hopefully stop all three monsters, but things went awry.

Having them decide to let them fight was pretty much a last resort.

Lame.

A Navy admiral with an "Army" patch on his BDUs, no less.

Nice attention to detail.

Alright, but to be fair, they did try using the military in Hawaii and at the Golden Gate Bridge, and that did nothing to stop Godzilla.

They also did have the plan to detonate in the Bay harbor to hopefully stop all three monsters, but things went awry.

Having them decide to let them fight was pretty much a last resort.

it just felt reallllllly lame. It was like a poor mans Pacific Rim. Only with less monsters and not nearly as cool.

Saw X-Men in 3-D.

Great movie - better than I expected. :thumbsup:

I recommend you watch "The Last Stand" again before seeing "Days of Future Past", but it is not required.

I went to X-Men on Monday. I think on it's own it was decent, but what makes it good is that it takes care of all of the complaints about X3. This next line might count as a SPOILER, so I threw that in caps right now just to warn people. There sure are a bunch of brutal deaths in that movie. Those future sentinels were pretty badass.

I went to X-Men on Monday. I think on it's own it was decent, but what makes it good is that it takes care of all of the complaints about X3. This next line might count as a SPOILER, so I threw that in caps right now just to warn people. There sure are a bunch of brutal deaths in that movie. Those future sentinels were pretty badass.

That was pretty much my only negative thought in regards to the movie. The deaths were extraordinarily gratuitous. I typically love a brutal gory death, but since the X franchise has veered away from that sort of thing in the past(no blood when Wolvie goes the slash for instance), it felt very out of place. That was my only criticism though......top notch movie IMO.

That was pretty much my only negative thought in regards to the movie. The deaths were extraordinarily gratuitous. I typically love a brutal gory death, but since the X franchise has veered away from that sort of thing in the past(no blood when Wolvie goes the slash for instance), it felt very out of place. That was my only criticism though......top notch movie IMO.

I didn't think they seemed too over the top. Most were heavily CGI so they weren't all that graphic.

I didn't think they seemed too over the top. Most were heavily CGI so they weren't all that graphic.

It wasn't the actual effects for the deaths, but the manner in which they made them die. It was like they sat down and said "What are the most grusome deaths we can think of?". Rip somebody in two, slowly lower another's face into flames etc, etc. It not only felt out of place for the X movies but felt crudely staged(in contrast to the relatively realistic action & story for the rest of the movie).

It wasn't the actual effects for the deaths, but the manner in which they made them die. It was like they sat down and said "What are the most grusome deaths we can think of?". Rip somebody in two, slowly lower another's face into flames etc, etc. It not only felt out of place for the X movies but felt crudely staged(in contrast to the relatively realistic action & story for the rest of the movie).

I think any impaling was the worst, especially the triple.

I sent an email of the Chef trailer to my wife saying we might just go see it. First movie we've gone to in probably 8 years. I like the premise seeing I had an idea to do a gourmet food truck over 20 years ago before anyone even thought about it. And for the same reasons he did. It would have been the least expensive way to cook my food the way I wanted it done.

So have you seen it yet or not?