What would be the impact of Disclosure on your politics?

I base what I say purely on Einstein's relativity, which although is technically still a theory, has proven to be accurate, with the exception of how it relates to subatomic particles, quantum physics specifically. that same set of physics applies to the entire universe, so time/distance/lifespan would apply to all living organisms.

A big assumption to make considering the size of the universe and our species' brief tenure in it.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It depends. Could they fix healthcare.gov?

I base what I say purely on Einstein's relativity, which although is technically still a theory, has proven to be accurate, with the exception of how it relates to subatomic particles, quantum physics specifically. that same set of physics applies to the entire universe, so time/distance/lifespan would apply to all living organisms.

A big assumption to make considering the size of the universe and our species' brief tenure in it.

You kids are so cute.

In that case, I'd have to become a die-hard progressive. Since the (*^*&%^$^#Republicans would just try to deport them all to Mexico.

So little green men in bow ties with slick hair and tuxedos will serve me cerveza's?

Since modern man is now thought to have been around for 500,000 years and man can go from hunter gatherers to high tech civilizations in 30,000 years isn't it more likely that what appears as aliens is just remnants of other peak human societies that got off planet to avoid various natural or man-made catastrophes.

Since modern man is now thought to have been around for 500,000 years and man can go from hunter gatherers to high tech civilizations in 30,000 years isn't it more likely that what appears as aliens is just remnants of other peak human societies that got off planet to avoid various natural or man-made catastrophes.

It's a valid theory, as valid as the time traveler theory.

Likely? Why, given that we have exactly one fact to base that on, I'd consider it a certainty!

You idiot.

I admit that it's an assumption, but not necessarily such a big one considering that nearly everything we've learned of the universe in the last 60 years or so is based on the same thing from which I draw my assumption.

are you familiar with the Fermi paradox?

I admit that it's an assumption, but not necessarily such a big one considering that nearly everything we've learned of the universe in the last 60 years or so is based on the same thing from which I draw my assumption.

are you familiar with the Fermi paradox?

I am. Are you familiar with what Fermi was truly frightened of in reference to his paradox? Specifically his conversations with Wernher von Braun?

Of course... but that's not what happens. The rule of thumb has been to explain away UFO sightings rather than explain them. Ever since "swamp gas" became a national punchline, the scientific community has been well trained not to seriously study the phenomenon or risk their own reputations -- which in science is your only currency besides data.

:rolleyes:

Absolutely, intent would be key. If they were benevolent it would be easier to swallow than if they were hostile. The Reagan vision was a hostile alien species that would unite humanity ala Independence Day.

What if the announcement didn't know the intent of the aliens? What if the announcement / disclosure was just an acknowledgement that these things are real, they're here, and no one knows their intent but so far they haven't done any damage?

They couldn't announce that, could they? It would make them look incompetent -- more so than they already appear to be.

I think there would be widespread panic; and then a Harry Turtledove novel.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

I think there would be widespread panic; and then a Harry Turtledove novel.

Well that would be pretty sweet. Think we could book them?

EDIT: Nevermind, thought I was still in the Easter-420 thread.

Edited by Jauronimo

I am. Are you familiar with what Fermi was truly frightened of in reference to his paradox? Specifically his conversations with Wernher von Braun?

I don't know with whom he was speaking at the time, but Fermi suggested that the reason we haven't ever seen a sign of extraterrestrial life is because a technologically advanced civilization would likely blow itself into extinction before it reached the point where they would be capable of interstellar travel or communication. it's not a very inspiring thought, is it?

I don't know with whom he was speaking at the time, but Fermi suggested that the reason we haven't ever seen a sign of extraterrestrial life is because a technologically advanced civilization would likely blow itself into extinction before it reached the point where they would be capable of interstellar travel or communication. it's not a very inspiring thought, is it?

We were at that point until BHO took power.

Thank god!