Round 1 - 2014 NFL Draft Mock

Based on recent signings by Buffalo and several other teams ahead of us heading into May 8th's draft.....here's an updated mock that "likely" could happen come the #9 pick. I'm still curious to see if Doug & Doug Inc. will be willing to move up for the likes of Khalil Mack or Sammy Watkins.

#1 Texans - Jadeveon Clowney (regardless of if it's the Texans or a trade partner)

#2 Rams - Khalil Mack

#3 Jaguars - Blake Bortles

#4 Browns - Greg Robinson

#5 Raiders - Derek Carr/Johnny Manziel

#6 Falcons - Jake Matthews

#7 Buccaneers - Sammy Watkins

#8 Minnesota - Bridgewater/Manziel

#9 Buffalo - Eric Ebron

#10 Detroit - Mike Evans

Based on the Mike Williams signing, I believe the coaching staff is satisfied with the WR talent currently on the roster. The more video I watch on Ebron, the more I think he makes sense for what the Bills were missing last season. I'm slightly concerned that the Falcons may take him at #6 in order to replace Tony Gonzalez and add to their arsenal of offensive weapons.

Do I believe Whaley is attempting to move up the draft boards for a higher pick this year? YES. Based on how Mack & Robinson are grading out, both are coming in to the league for immediate impacts. If the Bills find a trade partner in the Rams or Falcons, I believe Mack would be our preferred choice at #2 if able to acquire the pick. Robinson would be a gift at #6, providing us with a great offensive line with he and Wood/Glenn.

Edited by Flutie7Flakes

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure about taking OT that high... look at Fisher and Jockel( I think that was his name, I'm sure you guys know who I am talking about anyway) 1st and 2nd pick and they both didn't do what people expected, granted they got hurt, but I'm not sure taking a OT thar early. I think ebron is they way to go.

Side note. I think this draft has a deep tackle draft. I'm sure we can find a gem later in the draft.

Based on recent signings by Buffalo and several other teams ahead of us heading into May 8th's draft.....here's an updated mock that "likely" could happen come the #9 pick. I'm still curious to see if Doug & Doug Inc. will be willing to move up for the likes of Khalil Mack or Sammy Watkins.

#1 Texans - Jadeveon Clowney (regardless of if it's the Texans or a trade partner)

#2 Rams - Khalil Mack

#9 Buffalo - Eric Ebron

#10 Detroit - Mike Evans

Based on the Mike Williams signing, I believe the coaching staff is satisfied with the WR talent currently on the roster. The more video I watch on Ebron, the more I think he makes sense for what the Bills were missing last season. I'm slightly concerned that the Falcons may take him at #6 in order to replace Tony Gonzalez and add to their arsenal of offensive weapons.

Do I believe Whaley is attempting to move up the draft boards for a higher pick this year? YES. Based on how Mack & Robinson are grading out, both are coming in to the league for immediate impacts. If the Bills find a trade partner in the Rams or Falcons, I believe Mack would be our preferred choice at #2 if able to acquire the pick. Robinson would be a gift at #6, providing us with a great offensive line with he and Wood/Glenn.

I like your analysis. However, I do not understand how Ebon, and his 3 TD's last season make him a "Red Zone Threat." I would much prefer the Bills to draft Evans in the 1st, and an OT (Morgan Moses/Richardson) or TE Jenkins in the second. I also wouldn't mind them trading up to get Mack, although I would not want them going up to get Robinson.

I'm not sure about taking OT that high... look at Fisher and Jockel( I think that was his name, I'm sure you guys know who I am talking about anyway) 1st and 2nd pick and they both didn't do what people expected, granted they got hurt, but I'm not sure taking a OT thar early. I think ebron is they way to go.

Side note. I think this draft has a deep tackle draft. I'm sure we can find a gem later in the draft.

I agree the draft seems deep at tackle, and decently deep at guard.

I agree - ideally it would be nice to grab Mack if we can to stack our defense & move Kiko outside....but #2 or #3 is a hefty price (2 1st rounders, 2nd/3rd rounder).

With Marrone originally being an Offensive Line coach - it wouldn't surprise me that he waits for the later rounds on a pick, since like you're saying, we can get a gem. If Matthews or Robinson DO fall, the pick is justified based on our need to replace Pears.

I think it's more likely.

1. Clowney

2. Rams - Matthews

3. Jax - QB

4. Cleveland - Watkins/QB

5. Oakland - QB/Watkins

6. Atlanta - Mack

7. Tampa - Evans/QB/Robinson

8. Minnesota - QB

9. Buffalo - Robinson?

Could see scenario where Robinson falls to us. Teams ahead of us either have franchise LT's (Cleveland, Minnesota, Jax) and/or greater needs (Atlanta - pass rusher, Tampa - WR/QB, JAX - QB).

Could see scenario where Robinson falls to us. Teams ahead of us either have franchise LT's (Cleveland, Minnesota, Jax) and/or greater needs (Atlanta - pass rusher, Tampa - WR/QB, JAX - QB).

BuffaloRebound - I like that we can agree on one thing, specific teams in the 8 picks prior to Buffalo will determine our pick. 4 teams in my mind need a QB, but who they perceive as their highest ranking is not common knowledge. If Robinson is there at #9, I have no doubt that we will pick him up.

BuffaloRebound - I like that we can agree on one thing, specific teams in the 8 picks prior to Buffalo will determine our pick. 4 teams in my mind need a QB, but who they perceive as their highest ranking is not common knowledge. If Robinson is there at #9, I have no doubt that we will pick him up.

Stranger things have happened, but if Mack makes it to Atlanta, good chance one of the top 2 OT's makes it to us and that's assuming St Louis takes one which isn't a lock.

The Rams aren't taking Mack

Rams are trying to move the #2 pick if they can - who so chooses to move up will be selecting Mack #2 overall. If the Rams stay at #2, how could they not? Their mediocre defense would be brought to the next level with this kid, similar to us if we can make the move up for him.

I can't really see either Watkins or Evans being available after 7. There are 5 teams in the top 7 that could take them, and I'd bet big that at the very least those two are close to the top of Oak's, TB's, StL's and Cle's Boards.

I can't really see either Watkins or Evans being available after 7. There are 5 teams in the top 7 that could take them, and I'd bet big that at the very least those two are close to the top of Oak's, TB's, StL's and Cle's Boards.

Tampa Bay will be taking the best WR available - whether Watkins falls to them or be it Evans, based on positional team needs. Other teams mentioned (OAK, TB, CLE) desperately need a QB, making one of the 4 major (Bortles, Bridgewater, Carr & Manziel) a likely pick. My opinion? 2 of these QBs will be taken in the 8 picks before Buffalo, which gives us a better opportunity for Robinson/Matthews to fall to #9.

Rams are trying to move the #2 pick if they can - who so chooses to move up will be selecting Mack #2 overall. If the Rams stay at #2, how could they not? Their mediocre defense would be brought to the next level with this kid, similar to us if we can make the move up for him.

Very good chance that whoever trades up would be doing so for the top QB if Clowney goes number one. Somebody could also be looking to jump Cleveland for Watkins or St. Louis could do it themselves.

Somebody could also be looking to jump Cleveland for Watkins or St. Louis could do it themselves.

Watkins #2 overall? Please. Let's come back to Earth and realize that him or Evans are NOT a mini Megatron, Marshall or Dez Bryant. In the last 4 years, only 3 WRs total have been taken in the Top 10. DHB in 2009, Julio in 2011 and Justin Blackmon in 2012.

Based on potential, should they be lottery picks? Yes. But just like RBs, WRs are becoming increasingly expendable when it comes to their turnover on teams.

The majority of teams picking within the Top 10 this year have desperate needs such as QB, OL, and DE/OLBs.

Edited by Flutie7Flakes

#2 Rams - Khalil Mack

#9 Buffalo - Eric Ebron

#10 Detroit - Mike Evans

I don't think the Browns would have any interest in Robinson. Unless the Bills are looking at taking a QB, trading up doesn't make sense. With recent comments by Whaley that doesn't look like an option.

Assuage your fears. Only two TE's have ever gone in the first ten picks and, while double E is by far the best talent at the TE position this year, he is not a generational talent. I think the Bills could take him at 9 if they do not find a trade partner, (he's around a 10-15 guy), but I do not see anyone taking him ahead of us at 9...you seldom draft for need in the top 10. For the Bills, he is only a slight reach at 9 while also facing a need - a win-win.

Watkins #2 overall? Please. Let's come back to Earth and realize that him or Evans are NOT a mini Megatron, Marshall or Dez Bryant. In the last 4 years, only 2 WRs total have been taken in the Top 10. DHB in 2009, Julio in 2011 and Justin Blackmon in 2012.

Based on potential, should they be lottery picks? Yes. But just like RBs, WRs are becoming increasingly expendable when it comes to their turnover on teams.

The majority of teams picking within the Top 10 this year have desperate needs such as QB, OL, and DE/OLBs.

Tavon Austin, A.J. Green, and Crabtree were all top 10 picks also.

I don't think the Browns would have any interest in Robinson.

Browns also pick #26 - rumors are this is where they are looking to take the likes of Carr, Manziel or whoever they like best.

I think the Bills could take him at 9 if they do not find a trade partner, (he's around a 10-15 guy), but I do not see anyone taking him ahead of us at 9...you seldom draft for need in the top 10. For the Bills, he is only a slight reach at 9 while also facing a need - a win-win.

Completely agree - finding a trade partner UP this year makes sense for Mack (KEEP HIM IN BUFFALO!!), but picking a player of fit seems to be what Marrone will do (See EJ Manuel #16 overall lol)

I don't think the Bills can mess up their first pick unless they take a QB. Ebron seems like a good player but I don't see the dominance.

Hopefully Mack falls to them.

I can see it all now if the Bills go QB.....every analyst/reporter "Blah, blah blah, Typical Buffalo...."

Watkins #2 overall? Please. Let's come back to Earth and realize that him or Evans are NOT a mini Megatron, Marshall or Dez Bryant. In the last 4 years, only 2 WRs total have been taken in the Top 10. DHB in 2009, Julio in 2011 and Justin Blackmon in 2012.

A.J. Green sends his regards.

GO BILLS!!!