April Movies: Captain America, Transcendence, Draft Day, & Rio 2..

Mark Vader

Before the Wolverine travels back in time, before Hiccup & Toothless continue to keep peace between the Vikings & Dragons, before we learn about the Black Fairy's past, before Peter Parker faces more villains, before Caesar continues to lead his kind over humanity, before the heroes in a half-shell emerge, before an ancient foe from space threatens the Earth and the Autobots, before Bill Cage relives his death in battle over and over again, before Jenko & Schmidt go undercover in college, before Jupiter Jones returns to her world, before 5 unlikely "heroes" team up to defeat a cosmic force, and before the King of the Monsters rises from the depths of the ocean, the Spring Season bids farewell with it's share of movie-going offerings. April has it's share of can't miss potential, one of them being a big comic book sequel.

Chris Evans returns in Disney & Marvel's "Captain America: The Winter Soldier". Steve Rogers struggles to embrace his role in the modern world and battles a new threat from old history: the Soviet agent known as the Winter Soldier. Disney & Marvel continue to keep their "Avengers" characters going strong, as their marketing of Captain America has already paid off internationally. Also starring Samuel L. Jackson, Scarlett Johansson, Sebastian Stan, Anthony Mackie, Cobie Smulders, Emily VanCamp, Hayley Atwell & Robert Redford.

Johnny Depp stars in the Sci-Fi/Thriller, "Transcendence". A terminally ill scientist downloads his mind into a computer. This grants him power beyond his wildest dreams, and soon he becomes unstoppable. Also starring Rebecca Hall, Paul Bettany, Cillian Murphy, Kate Mara & Morgan Freeman.

Kevin Costner stars in "Draft Day". At the NFL Draft, general manager Sonny Weaver has the opportunity to rebuild his team when he trades for the number one pick. He must decide what he's willing to sacrifice on a life-changing day for a few hundred young men with NFL dreams. Also starring Chadwick Boseman, Jennifer Garner, Frank Langella & Chi McBride. Directed by Ivan Reitman.

20th Century Fox brings back their family of Macaws in "Rio 2". It's a jungle out there for Blu, Jewel and their three kids after they're hurtled Rio de Janeiro to the wilds of the Amazon. As Blu tries to fit in, he goes beak-to-beak with the vengeful Nigel, and meets the most fearsome adversary of all: his father-in-law. Starring the voices of Jesse Eisenberg, Anne Hathaway, Jemaine Clement, Andy Garcia, Jamie Foxx & Kristin Chenoweth.

Cameron Diaz stars in "The Other Woman". After realizing she is not her boyfriend's primary lover, a woman teams up with his wife and plots mutual revenge. Also starring Leslie Mann, Kate Upton, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau & Don Johnson.

Greg Kinnear stars in "Heaven is for Real". A small-town father must find the courage and conviction to share his son's extraordinary, life-changing experience with the world. Also starring Kelly Reilly, Connor Corum & Margo Martindale.

In "Oculus", A woman tries to exonerate her brother, who was convicted of murder, by proving that the crime was committed by a supernatural phenomenon. Starring Karen Gillan, Brenton Thwaites, Katee Sackhoff & Rory Cochrane.

In "Brick Mansions", An undercover cop tries to take down a ruthless crime lord with access to a neutron bomb by infiltrating his gang. Starring Paul Walker, David Belle & RZA.

Disney presents "Bears". In an epic story of breathtaking scale set against a majestic Alaskan backdrop teeming with life, Disneynature's 2014 big-screen adventure "Bears" follows a bear family as impressionable young cubs are taught life's most important lessons.

In "The Quiet Ones", A University physics professor assembles a team to help create a poltergeist. Starring Jared Harris, Sam Claflin, Olivia Cooke & Erin Richards.

Finally in "A Haunted House 2", Having exorcised the demons of his ex, Malcolm is starting fresh with his new girlfriend and her two children. After moving into their dream home, however, Malcolm is once again plagued by bizarre paranormal events. Starring Marlon Wayans, Jaime Pressly & Cedric the Entertainer.

Calendar with Trailers

4/4

"Captain America: The Winter Soldier": http://marvel.com/captainamerica

4/11

"Oculus": http://www.oculus2014.com/

"Draft Day": http://draftdaythemovie.com/

"Rio 2": http://www.riomovies.com/

4/16

"Heaven is for Real": http://www.sonypictures.com/movies/heavenisforreal/

4/17

"Transcendence": http://www.transcendencemovie.com/

4/18

"A Haunted House 2": http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi2712972057/

"Bears": http://nature.disney.com/bears'>http://nature.disney.com/bears

4/25

"The Other Woman": http://nature.disney.com/bears

"The Quiet Ones": http://www.thequietonesmovie.com/

"Brick Mansions": http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi2807081497/

That's all for now, I'll have the Indpendent Films posted later. Until then.....Enjoy!

My wife is actually willing to go see Captain America with me. I keep telling her that she's going to be very confused if she doesn't watch some of the earlier movies first. Obviously the first Captain America would be a must. Other than that, I think just Ironman, especially since I think she'll actually like that one.

My wife is actually willing to go see Captain America with me. I keep telling her that she's going to be very confused if she doesn't watch some of the earlier movies first. Obviously the first Captain America would be a must. Other than that, I think just Ironman, especially since I think she'll actually like that one.

So she hasn't seen any of the "Avengers" movies? She will be a little confused.

So she hasn't seen any of the "Avengers" movies? She will be a little confused.

From the looks of things I think someone can get my without seeing most of them. Watch the ones I mentioned and then get a quick description of the Avengers and I think that will be enough.

Winter Soldier was a great movie. I think this was my second favorite Marvel movie behind Avengers.

I was hoping someone would mention it quickly. Which of the other movies would you say you absolutely have to see before watching this one?

Winter Soldier was very good. Surprisingly so, considering I expected much less.

You definitely need to see Captain America first, it will really help. Seeing Iron Man 1 and 2 will help a lot, too - probably more then the Avengers. Iron Man 2 has many tie ins.

Scarlette Johanson still did not really fill her role that well. Didn't look as pudgy in this one, looked a lot better but did not fill the role like I wished she did. I think it is by direction, not choice.

Edited by jboyst62

I was hoping someone would mention it quickly. Which of the other movies would you say you absolutely have to see before watching this one?

I don't think you even really have to see any. Just a quick synopsis would probably get anyone to the point where they'd need to be. The two I'd say would benefit the most from seeing are Captain America and The Avengers in that order, but I think anyone can enjoy this movie as a stand alone with just a little bit of info on who everyone is and who SHIELD and Hydra are.

Scarlette Johanson still did not really fill her role that well. Didn't look as pudgy in this one, looked a lot better but did not fill the role like I wished she did. I think it is by direction, not choice.

Her performance was the one thing that bothered me in this movie. I don't remember feeling this way in Avengers, but maybe she didn't have enough screen time for me to form this impression. She was way too everywoman to play Black Widow. If she were playing the manager of an Applebee's in Delaware somewhere she would have been perfect. As a former Russian KGB agent and big time player in the International spy game she just fell flat.

Saw CA last night. Very good and much better than the first one. As for ScarJo, she needs at least a hint of a Russian accent to pull off the former KGB agent angle, but otherwise it wasn't a big stretch.

Saw CA last night. Very good and much better than the first one. As for ScarJo, she needs at least a hint of a Russian accent to pull off the former KGB agent angle, but otherwise it wasn't a big stretch.

It was still a good movie. Very interesting on how they did Bucky. I was hoping to see more acting by him.

I don't think you even really have to see any. Just a quick synopsis would probably get anyone to the point where they'd need to be. The two I'd say would benefit the most from seeing are Captain America and The Avengers in that order, but I think anyone can enjoy this movie as a stand alone with just a little bit of info on who everyone is and who SHIELD and Hydra are.

Her performance was the one thing that bothered me in this movie. I don't remember feeling this way in Avengers, but maybe she didn't have enough screen time for me to form this impression. She was way too everywoman to play Black Widow. If she were playing the manager of an Applebee's in Delaware somewhere she would have been perfect. As a former Russian KGB agent and big time player in the International spy game she just fell flat.

There were a few scenes where she seemed to pull it off. At the end she talked the game but didn't do much more.

It was bland. She plays a better girl next door sweet type then she does a hard core assassin.

WOW!

"Captain America: The Winter Soldier" with estimated $96.2 million opening weekend! :o

For a non-summer, non-holiday movie, and the one superhero who was deemed the toughest to sell, this is an amazing achievement. That's not counting what it has made overseas.

I don't even think the upcoming "Spider-Man" sequel can do this good

WOW!

"Captain America: The Winter Soldier" with estimated $96.2 million opening weekend! :o

For a non-summer, non-holiday movie, and the one superhero who was deemed the toughest to sell, this is an amazing achievement. That's not counting what it has made overseas.

I don't even think the upcoming "Spider-Man" sequel can do this good

It's also, perhaps, the final nail in mainstream American cinema's proverbial coffin.

How so?

The mega numbers just reinforce what I think is a false assumption on the part of the studios -- that the only movies that make money are pre-existing properties. They're making less movies a year already, that number is only going to continue to go down. Worse, they are making less and less original movies. This is mainly because the price tags for these massive Marvel type flicks are drying up the reserves that used to be spent on original content.

Look at Gravity as the best example. This is a movie that WB's chief sold 25% of because he was convinced it was going to be a box office disaster since it was "too original" (his administration inherited Gravity). Oops. This kind of bottom line thinking is the reason why there has been such a massive migration of talent from features to TV/new media. It's creatively stifling to make original content in the studio system because they've engineered it that way -- especially after the '07 WGA strike.

For years, writers, actors and producers have been clamoring that there is room in the studio system for both pre-existing properties and original content. But bofo numbers like this (and they are massive numbers) are only going to encourage the same line of thinking that's currently preventing original material from seeing the light of day. When only super hero movies make money, only super hero movies get made. It used to be just a theory, but the past 7 years has shown clearly that the snake is finally eating its tail.

Don't mistake this as some film snob critique. I love studio movies and am looking forward to this one. It's just sad that what was the art form of the 20th century is pretty much over. This is just further proof of it.

Edited by GreggyT

The mega numbers just reinforce what I think is a false assumption on the part of the studios -- that the only movies that make money are pre-existing properties. They're making less movies a year already, that number is only going to continue to go down. Worse, they are making less and less original movies. This is mainly because the price tags for these massive Marvel type flicks are drying up the reserves that used to be spent on original content.

Look at Gravity as the best example. This is a movie that WB's chief sold 25% of because he was convinced it was going to be a box office disaster since it was "too original" (his administration inherited Gravity). Oops. This kind of bottom line thinking is the reason why there has been such a massive migration of talent from features to TV/new media. It's creatively stifling to make original content in the studio system because they've engineered it that way -- especially after the '07 WGA strike.

For years, writers, actors and producers have been clamoring that there is room in the studio system for both pre-existing properties and original content. But bofo numbers like this (and they are massive numbers) are only going to encourage the same line of thinking that's currently preventing original material from seeing the light of day. When only super hero movies make money, only super hero movies get made. It used to be just a theory, but the past 7 years has shown clearly that the snake is finally eating its tail.

Don't mistake this as some film snob critique. I love studio movies and am looking forward to this one. It's just sad that what was the art form of the 20th century is pretty much over. This is just further proof of it.

Interesting points you make. Although I somewhat disagree with you.

First of all, I have not seen this latest Captain America movie, and from what I have read, it has gotten high marks from both audiences and critics alike. So at least a movie that is considered well liked and good is making big money. Marvel & Disney have done a splendid job in making these comic book movies entertaining without having to dumb it down.

When you compare this to what Paramount/Dreamworks has done with the Transformers series, your points are valid. That series has made over 1 billion from the USA alone. Yes they have top notch effects and great action, but the storylines are absolutely putrid. To call them crap is an offense to crap.

Yes the mainstream studios are making less original content, but they make up for that with the independent studios they own. That's where most of the originality comes from.

I agree with you that there is room for original tales & franchise series to coexist in the mainstream studio world. I think the big reason that the mainstream studios have such apprehension is because they want guaranteed hits and they are not willing to take those risks, because they don't know what the public is willing to pay to see.

Movie going audiences are very unpredictable. When he people who clamor and gripe about Hollywood not having an original bone in it's body, finally get a movie that has originality to it, most of the time the response is, "Well we didn't mean that!"

It definitely goes both ways.

I don't believe that the art form is over. There are good movies still out there, people just need to discover them.

• 3 weeks later...

Winter Soldier was a great movie. I think this was my second favorite Marvel movie behind Avengers.

Finally saw "Winter Soldier", wow!

I did not know what to expect from this movie, but it was great. I dare say that the Captain America movies might be the superior series to all the other "Avengers" series, including Iron Man.