No Evans, No Watkins in our future...

The odds of Barden exploding onto the scene are slim to none. He would have done it already. It is true, however, that his lone start produced numbers far better than any Bills WR has put up in the past 3 years. That's just how bad we are. They need to address the position if they hope EJ is going to develop. Doesn't have to be at 9 but they need something.

I think / hope that Marrone sees Barden as his Marcus Colston. A big guy who will actually play a lot of snaps out of the slot. Almost like a flex TE.

Time will tell and we all hope for great things but they'd better hedge their bet.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He is slightly actually bigger than Manziel. Listed at 215 (Manziel listed at 209). Vick has smaller hands though. Vick seems to be pretty injury prone? Maybe you meant he has had a long career? I was referring to concerns over Manziel's duration throughout a season. This is a concern that has been mentioned a lot... I think it really has more to do with playing style than size though, the size just increases the concern a bit. I'm not criticizing Manziel, just noting he may be a bit of a project as an NFL QB.

Yes, a long career is what I meant. Their difference in weight is insignificant.

JM played in a fairly decent NCAA conference known mainly for its defensive prowess. He took a lot of hits and seems pretty tough. Also, anyone who saw him play will point out that his mobility prevented a lot more hits.

Our own big new QB was injured in preseason, mid season and at the end of the season---all in his first season. It was mentioned a lot that EJ's size and "mobility" would be an asset. It didn't help after all. Oh well...

Yes, a long career is what I meant. Their difference in weight is insignificant.

JM played in a fairly decent NCAA conference known mainly for its defensive prowess. He took a lot of hits and seems pretty tough. Also, anyone who saw him play will point out that his mobility prevented a lot more hits.

Our own big new QB was injured in preseason, mid season and at the end of the season---all in his first season. It was mentioned a lot that EJ's size and "mobility" would be an asset. It didn't help after all. Oh well...

to be fair EJ was only injured by the opposition one of those times.

I understand it may not be a concern for you... I was just pointing out it that it does seem to be concern for those doing the evaluating as it listed on virtually every scouting report on Manziel that his style of play in college needs to be reigned in, in order for him to not expose himself to increased injury potential in the NFL.

to be fair EJ was only injured by the opposition one of those times.

EJ still gives the impression based on his 1st season that he might be a bit injury prone.

I agree with WEO, I've watched JF take some pretty vicious hits, and play through them.

If mario Williams were to hit manziel as hard as he hit tannehill on his 1second sack last year, johnny fooseball wudnt play another game the rest of the year.

Not saying I want him but how many times did Mario hit Russel Wilson or Capernick last year. How many times has anybody light up Wilson? The times he has been he was no less the QB for it. Wilson and Manziel are similar in their ability to make people miss, IMO.

Edited by TDRupp

EJ still gives the impression based on his 1st season that he might be a bit injury prone.

I agree with WEO, I've watched JF take some pretty vicious hits, and play through them.

I recall a couple too that I thought he would be out of the game but came back and played, clearly injured. I think the NFL is a little different though, in that respect, The college programs (at least the one I follow) don't seem to be as concerned about the QB laying himself out there and playing hurt if it can help them win. In the NFL, once the team has invested millions and hopefully the future of the franchise in a QB, it isn't always up to the player if he goes back out there with an injury.

I recall a couple too that I thought he would be out of the game but came back and played, clearly injured. I think the NFL is a little different though, in that respect, The college programs (at least the one I follow) don't seem to be as concerned about the QB laying himself out there and playing hurt if it can help them win. In the NFL, once the team has invested millions and hopefully the future of the franchise in a QB, it isn't always up to the player if he goes back out there with an injury.

Think to RG and Mike Shanahan about how brutal the NFL can be when its on the line Edited by 3rdand12

Think to RG and Mike Shanahan about how brutal the NFL can be when its on the line

From what I can tell as a fan that they were in the playoffs so Shanny made him play because he thought it gave them the best chance to win, even when injured, of course that was widely criticized. If the situation were different, say it was early in the year or the team was not in the playoff hunt, seems like teams like to be extra cautious especially if it is a what they hope to be a long-term prospect for a franchise QB (not a stop gap type guy).