NFL network article and EJ interview

I think that's a tad bit revisionist history. Or maybe you're too young. Those guys were like Andrew Luck. Even if the colts had gone 4-12 last year, everybody knows Luck has "it."

And the aforementioned 3 had "it."

And you would not take the first overall pick in trade for any of them in the offseason after their bad rookie seasons.

Would you now for EJ? Would ya?

You get my overall point. Sometimes you KNOW, stats notwithstanding. And with EJ you dont KNOW.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, isn't it? Manning had almost as many TD's as INT's, but the others were major concerns after their rookie seasons. Their teams stuck with them and the rest is history. So at this point, I know about as much about EJ as those teams knew about their QB's and like them, I'm not going to advocate dumping him for another unknown.

Lemme ax ya dis: If you were the GM of the Bills now, or the Cowboys, Colts, or Broncos then, and somebody picked up the phone on March 24 in the offseason after their rookie seasons and offered the 1st overall pick for Aikman, Manning, Elway, or EJ, would ya?

The Cowboys thought so much of Aikman's first season that they burned another number 1 overall via the supplemental draft to pick Steve Walsh.

The Cowboys thought so much of Aikman's first season that they burned another number 1 overall via the supplemental draft to pick Steve Walsh.

I swear some of the folks on here like you have such a great amount of football knowledge. Seriously.

I think that's a tad bit revisionist history. Or maybe you're too young. Those guys were like Andrew Luck. Even if the colts had gone 4-12 last year, everybody knows Luck has "it."

And you would not take the first overall pick in trade for any of them in the offseason after their bad rookie seasons.

You get my overall point. Sometimes you KNOW, stats notwithstanding. And with EJ you dont KNOW.

Don't you think what your doing is a bit revisionist history? Of course now you can say they knew, cause well they turned into amazing QBs. But to say you know back then that these teams knew, after 1 year, that these QBs were going to turn into HOF franchise QBs is a just as much revisionist history.

What about the QBs who people knew weren't going to be great, who ended up being great? Suppose those teams knew too, they were all seeing, I guess. They fooled everyone.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

Don't you think what your doing is a bit revisionist history? Of course now you can say they new, cause well they turned into amazing QBs. But to say you know back then that these teams knew, after 1 year, that this QBs were going to turn into HOF franchise QBs is a just as much revisionist history.

What about the QBs who people knew weren't going to be great, who ended up being great? Suppose those teams knew too, they were all seeing, I guess.

Tom Brady comes to mind.

Ryan Leaf. That is how I answer this statement.

I hate this argument. Sorry, but its stupid and not thoughtful.

With those guys, the teams KNEW that they had a franchise guy. And the fans knew. And the media knew.

With EJ, nobody knows yet. He hasnt shown anything. Nothing.

Lemme ax ya dis: If you were the GM of the Bills now, or the Cowboys, Colts, or Broncos then, and somebody picked up the phone on March 24 in the offseason after their rookie seasons and offered the 1st overall pick for Aikman, Manning, Elway, or EJ, would ya?

For the first 3, of course not. Because you know that its not all about stats. For the 4th one, i think you would, or at least consider it. Because its not about stats for a Franchise QB in his first year. Does he have "it" or doesnt he?

I can't argue what you knew when Aikman, Manning, or Elway came out and began their NFL careers...but I can answer your hypothetical question for myself. I would NOT, I repeat NOT, trade EJ *this* year for the 1st overall pick...for the very reason you highlight in that the BILLS just don't know what, if anything, there is in Manuel. What I truly believe I personally DO know, is that EJ is already a year and step ahead of the Rookie QB class for 2014, not to mention none of them are Luck, they all have some issues or development challenges. If that's the case, then I'd rather take the guy who has the size, arm strength, and leadership capability for the NFL - given THIS year's Rookie QB class...having said all of that, and I've repeated myself a number of times in other posts, but IF EJ does not demonstrate he has the NFL chops to be the Franchise QB we all hope he can become, then NEXT year, I would not only trade EJ, I would trade everything at my disposal including a kidney, to get the 1st Overall Draft pick so the BILLS could *get* that guy, the Face of the Franchise, b/c so many of the other pieces, and that's not including what will happen in May this year, are in place to contend and be a really good team...JMO

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, isn't it? Manning had almost as many TD's as INT's, but the others were major concerns after their rookie seasons. Their teams stuck with them and the rest is history. So at this point, I know about as much about EJ as those teams knew about their QB's and like them, I'm not going to advocate dumping him for another unknown.

I know it's not a fair comparison, but just for fun, I like to ask folks to do a side-by-side of Luck and EJ's rookie stat lines.

It's astonishing how similar they are...