Off topic....PDAs

Given the line of work I am in I should have gotten one a long time ago.....I have always went with the paper planner and always WANTED the high tech PDA....but I am really cheap when it comes to buying things for myself.

My wife finally got tired of my whining and got me a low end IPAC 2117 for Christmas....but wouldn't you know it the damn thing was broken when I opened the box and taking it back to get a replacement was a exercise in frustration as the store was always out.....so finally I fought with the store manager long enough and he gave me back my $280.

So.....now I do my research....and finally decide I cant go wrong with a Dell (my computer works well enough)

- I cant afford the Dell Axim 50v.....so I wait for the time when the on line discounts are lined up well and get the 530 MGhz Dell Axim 50.

-- 10 percent off

-- Found a coupon for another $35.00 off

-- Free Shipping and Handling

-- End price: $349.00

A couple of questions:

- Did a I get a good deal?

- Anyone know anything about the model? Good Bad?

what did you need it for? address book and planner?

PDA's are like pc's, you can get one that does 90% of what you want to do for pretty cheap ($150 or less). If you want fancy stuff, buy one like you already bought...

I've had an Axim for about 2 years. I use it for calendar, notes, games, other programs, etc. Works great and have never had a problem with it. Battery life is great. I can charge it in the car on the way to work if need be. I sync it with Outlook.

You should buy gas now while it's cheap.

I always like to peel potatoes before boiling them.

Have you ever noticed that people don't listen well when they've made up their mind(s)?

Oh, you asked about the Axim that you already bought.

This might be of some help...

Going Price

User reviews of this item...

Feedback you may find interesting.

I've been thinking of getting a handheld of some kind.

It's a fluid market though.

A friend of mine was an early adopter of Psion and he still swears by it.

I think whatever device you get in today's market it will have the basic features that you really need. It boils down to getting comfortable enough with the thing and it's controls. The perfect device is an illusion. So getting the perfect device is akin to a quest to install the perfect OLine or QB at OBD. :blink:

Good luck with your new thingie. What do YOU think? Do you like it, or haven't you had enough time to get used to it yet?

John, Dell's are great as long as you get a good one and don't ever need technical support. If you start to notice anything wrong within the return period, dump it rather than deal with their customer support and warranty repair people.

A great site to visit is www.handango.com. They have software for PDAs that can really improve the usability of them. I particularly liked using Battery Pack because of the variety of customizable utilities it provided. I can't remeber the name of the software, but I also had a plug-in that let me put to-do's on the Today screen, which was a huge plus for the way I work. Lastly, check out Vaja cases for a slip cover to protect your new PDA. Pricey, but the nicest ones out there. I've had my IPaq cover for 2 years and the Vaja still smells like new leather.

I stopped using my PDA because the battery life was so short that it seemed like it died sitting in a drawer overnight and I was restaging it every few weeks. As much as I customized it to make it productive for my use, it took almost an hour every time it died on me. Sounds like your Dell has a much better battery life, just be sure to keep it sync'ed regularly and keep it on a charger when not using it just to be safe.

John:

You got a great PDA in the X50v. Just wait until you see the screen on that thing - 640x480 resolution...it literally is like carrying a laptop around in your pocket.

Good price too, considering the MSRP on it is $499.

A couple of questions:

- Did a I get a good deal?

- Anyone know anything about the model?  Good Bad?

214363[/snapback]

Shouldn't you have asked these questions before buying it? :blink:

I like PalmOS better; I would've done what LA suggested and bought the Treo 650. Phone/PDA in one and it works REALLY slick (coworker of mine has the Treo600).

Not a big fan of PocketPC OS at all. Crashes frequently. PalmOS has been around a lot longer, has a lot more free and useful software available for it (real geeks don't like MS so develop for Palm), etc. That's my opinion.

CW

John:

You got a great PDA in the X50v.  Just wait until you see the screen on that thing - 640x480 resolution...it literally is like carrying a laptop around in your pocket.

Good price too, considering the MSRP on it is $499.

214598[/snapback]

Udonkey....I got the Axim 50 not the Axim 50v.....so I its going to have the QVGA screen not the VGA one (I just couldn't see spending the extra $100 it would take for the screen since the "50" version is supposed to do the same things.

I ordered it on line so I dont have it yet.....I have read the reviews but while I am sitting around waiting for it I thought I would ask for other folks experiences with them.