raiders more interested in jordan than travis h

from this week's tip sheet on espn.com:

Look for the Raiders, whose miserable running game ranked dead last in the NFL in 2004 at an average of 80.9 yards per game, to make a run at LaMont Jordan when the Jets backup becomes an unrestricted free agent in less than two months. The only misgiving about Jordan, who has already been closely studied by some Oakland coaches and team officials, is whether he can be the kind of workhorse back favored by head coach Norv Turner. Under the Raiders coach, the feature back almost always gets at least 325 carries. Jordan averaged just 65.5 carries in his four seasons with the Jets and never got more than 93 rushes. But the Raiders like his power, his deceptive speed to the outside, and are desperate to upgrade the position. Oakland used a lot of backs in '04 -- Amos Zereoue, Zack Crockett, Tyrone Wheatley, Justin Fargas and J.R. Redmond -- and none of them was effective. "We're not lining up with that bunch again (in 2005), I can promise you that," said one Raiders staffer. Oakland also likes Buffalo tailback Travis Henry, a lot, but his penchant for fumbling concerns the Raiders. The Bills, of course, have given Henry and his agent permission to speak to other teams about a trade. Among the veteran backs who are, or might be available, the Raiders have no interest in Reuben Droughns of Denver, who also has permission to seek a deal.

you guys are crazy to believe that any nfl front office, no matter how inept, would value a backup running back over a premier pass rusher. i don't care if they don't like abraham's attitude. they would still rather keep him and then trade him for a first rounder. to franchise jordan over abraham would be one of the stupidest moves in sports management history.

If it were the Bills we were talking about, I would ratether have Jordan than Henry as well. Nothing against Travis, but guys with the size and speed of Jordan are hard to come by. Imagine a back like that to compliment McGahees' style? It would really be a nice 1, 2 puch! If he weren't stuck on the depth chart behind Curtis Martin, I think Jordan would be a fine starter for the Jets. Anyone think maybe they would let Curtis go, in place of Jordan? Jordan has been a major jerk over the last couple of seasons, demanding more playing time, and demanding trades. Yet, even when he was just sitting, the Jets held on to him. They could have traded him to the Dolphins, or some other running back starved team last year. Yet, they stood pat. I think, toward the end of the season, we started to see why. He is pretty explosive....

I doubt the Jets have the money to franchise Abraham.  And I also doubt Jordan would re-sign with them with Martin still their top RB, unless it was for mad money.  And out of the 5 teams who expressed interest in Henry, the Raiders were a distant 5.  I still think he goes to the Bucs.

214349[/snapback]

I don't think he goes to the Bucs. The Bucs will likley draft Cadilac Williams.

TH and his agent will meet some hard reality soon and realize his worth is not what they believe. There are many backs available now including the draft. Many RBs in this league have a shelf life of 3-4 really good years, maybe TH has reached it. WM was much better behind the same line. Also less fumbles, better blocker, and didn't make all the mental mistakes. Hey, I hope some GM is willing to give us a 2nd round pick for him but I don't see it happening.

I can easily see how the Raiders would have more interest in LaMont Jordan than Travis Henry, the trap many folks seem to be falling in though is that just because the Raiders may be more interested one player (Jordan) it does not mean that they have no interest whatsoever in Henry.

It strikes me that a big key to winning in the NFL is to have good plan B s or simply to get flat out lucky when plan A fails due to injury for the star plays like crap.

NE over the last 3 years has shown the import of a plan B when Bledsoe sucked and unfortunately got his lung collapsed and Brady unexpectedly (I think even forthe genius BB) turned in play which is positively historic in accomplishment for a young player. Last year they had Colvin and a host of stars go down and some extraordinary plan Bs stepped up. This year, Law and Poole go down and even the WRs are producing at DB..

This feature is not merely important to this team, but Bills fans need only remember back to the important and unexpectdly crucial role Frank Reich filled when HOF guy Kelly went down or think about how having Kenny Davis made us simply happy and not pulling our hair out in fear over TTs feats.

The internet is an arguing site which tend toward extremism which makes for entertaining argument but for "real" consideration of the fake world of the NFL mostly just shows how little the brains are of most of us fans.

The Bills need to and can only make one deal for Henry. That's all we need and the good news for us is that multiple parties seem interested. It strikes me that Jordan would be a far better choice for the Raiders, but they easily might not be able to get him if the Jets, tag him, or he gets a can't say no too offer in FA from somewhere else, his grandma is sick on the east coast and he doesn't want to go west, or their are several girls on the east coast whom if he leaves he might have to travel further for easy sex.

I don't know and nobody (maybe not even Jordan conciously) really knows for sure. The game ma not get done to the Bills liking, but right now the Bills are way ahead of the game we imagined a few short weeks ago in terms of having some real possibilities to get value for Henry.