Remember the Toyota Recalls in 2009 - 2010?

You want to make companies not want to import their products here? Or charge us a higher price because they are held to a different standard.

Except that we want drug companies to import their products here. Because drugs are cheaper overseas (even when exported from the US).

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You want to make companies not want to import their products here? Or charge us a higher price because they are held to a different standard.

Toyota actually has several manufacturing and assembly plants here in the USA. EiI sees nothing wrong with two sets of rules though.

Toyota actually has several manufacturing and assembly plants here in the USA. EiI sees nothing wrong with two sets of rules though.

except that there aren't 2 sets of rules. the nhtsa is going after gm on this issue. gm will likely pay dearly. are you implying that nhtsa was aware of this issue and ignored it til now? what basis do you have for this contention? Edited by birdog1960

except that there aren't 2 sets of rules. the nhtsa is going after gm on this issue. gm will likely pay dearly. are you implying that nhtsa was aware of this issue and ignored it til now? what basis do you have for this contention?

The exact same question can be asked of you.

except that there aren't 2 sets of rules. the nhtsa is going after gm on this issue. gm will likely pay dearly. are you implying that nhtsa was aware of this issue and ignored it til now? what basis do you have for this contention?

Sorry... I am probably adding to it. IMO, I don't care if there are two sets of rules. But, in reality it is like you said. I am also sorry that Toyota lost in the court of public opinion and GM is getting the benefit of doubt. That is what it all boils down to with this whiner crowd. Somebody will always whine and cry, and to think that they are all butt hurt that Toyota isn't getting a fair shake is even more laughable.

Again... My apologies for not dropping a tear with likes of Nanker and 3rdnshortsighted.

Sorry... I am probably adding to it. IMO, I don't care if there are two sets of rules. But, in reality it is like you said. I am also sorry that Toyota lost in the court of public opinion and GM is getting the benefit of doubt. That is what it all boils down to with this whiner crowd. Somebody will always whine and cry, and to think that they are all butt hurt that Toyota isn't getting a fair shake is even more laughable.

Again... My apologies for not dropping a tear with likes of Nanker and 3rdnshortsighted.

I'm quite certain if you were a Toyota shareholder you'd feel differently.

I'm quite certain if you were a Toyota shareholder you'd feel differently.

And if you were a GM shareholder? Ooops

And lost because of the bailout?

I guess the gov't is like a NHL ref... Sometimes there are make up calls... Sometimes you get screwed like the Sabres did in the 1st period last night.

I think YOU would agrees... #1 rule is to protect yourself and family first... America is "family."

There is enough of you Toyota fan boys... They will be fine... They got NASCAR pretty well covered too!

:-P

Why is that concept so hard for people to understand?

It is not hard to understand. It is simply not true in the real world. There is inequity in the law. Now you whiners wanna come down from your idealistic tower and cry Toyota isn't getting a fair shake.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/11/us/politics/house-to-investigate-slow-response-to-fault-in-gm-vehicles.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=1

General Motors has said that it was first alerted to the problem in 2004, and despite twice considering fixes, declined to do so. The safety agency has received more than 260 complaints over the last 11 years about cars shutting off while being driven, according to a New York Times analysis, but never started a broader investigation. The agency repeatedly said that there was insufficient evidence to warrant one.

It is not hard to understand. It is simply not true in the real world. There is inequity in the law. Now you whiners wanna come down from your idealistic tower and cry Toyota isn't getting a fair shake.

"Equality under the law" and "inequity in the law" are not the same thing, fishbait.

http://www.nytimes.c...ss&emc=rss&_r=1

"Equality under the law" and "inequity in the law" are not the same thing, fishbait.

uh huh, motors liquidation corp. sounds like biz as usual in the good ole us of a. but the cars turned off. they didn't runaway into walls, people and traffic. it's a different scenario especially for tabloids. what are your options for a car turning off as you drive? coasting to a stop on the shoulder would seem logical. it's less sensational and in most instances seemingly less dangerous. maybe C&D will do a test on the most effective emergency maneuvers in such a predicament but i doubt it. there aren't many options but the one i mentioned seems petty good. that doesn't let gm off the hook for likely culpability and likely lost huge sums in lawsuits. it doesn't excuse them for not owning up and and fixing the problem. but it's understandable why cars turning off unexpectedly didn't make the primetime national news.

i've got a subaru that's blown three turbos in 10 years. it's widely agreed that there's a design fault (banjo filter that frequently clogs and starves the turbo of oil). the most recent turbo that was put in was under warranty but the new one was only warrantied if a new oil supply line was also installed. that sucks for owners of later model subaru's but it's business as usual: get away with what you can, weigh the cost of litigation against the cost of recall and doing the right thing). subaru seems to be winning. their market share keeps increasing and their earnings grow. and that's what it's about if your subaru, toyota or gm. has anyone died from a blown turbo? maybe. it's not much worse than a car turning off in my estimation. but it's still not 6:30 pm national news.

as a conservative i'd think you'd understand this reasoning. i wouldn't expect you to understand the importance in saving 10's of 1000ands of middle class jobs in america. but, yes that's pretty important, too. but it doesn't follow that there was some inside the ballpark conspiracy to ignore this problem on a government regulatory level. even if there were, isn't less regulation what ya'll are all about?

Car turns off... I am pretty sure your steering (no power steering also) column will lock depending how much travel in the wheel you lose. You will also lose your power brakes.

That's pretty bad if you gotta turn the wheel or slow down suddenly.

Car turns off... I am pretty sure your steering (no power steering also) column will lock depending how much travel in the wheel you lose. You will also lose your power brakes.

That's pretty bad if you gotta turn the wheel or slow down suddenly.

it's not good. no doubt. but it's not sensational either. i'd rather the car turn off than the gas pedal stick and be forced with the choice of hard braking, throwing the car into neutral or turning the car off. maybe that's just me but at that point i'm controlling the car more than it's controlling me. and i'm not at all certain the steering wheel locks in that scenario. now that would be a good test for one of the big car mags.

it's not good. no doubt. but it's not sensational either. i'd rather the car turn off than the gas pedal stick and be forced with the choice of hard braking, throwing the car into neutral or turning the car off. maybe that's just me but at that point i'm controlling the car more than it's controlling me. and i'm not at all certain the steering wheel locks in that scenario. now that would be a good test for one of the big car mags.

Understandable... I rather have neither happen.

I think if you crank the wheel too far in an off position, the column's anti-theft locks it. ??? I think.

What the f cars do you drive? Your brakes can stop your car. No need to jam them. Brakes will win. Bad for car but you will stop. You retain the neutral option and your power steering.

If your car turns off while driving, you have a massive problem on your hands.

Given the choice, I'll take the pedal sticking.

Didn't Toyota and Chevy collaborate back in the late 1980's and 1990's?

What do you get when you cross a Chevy w/a Toyota?

Wait for it.....

A Toilet.

:-)

Idiot.

Great... Now there is a Canadian on American soil thinking that Toyota is getting a a bum rap. And a Quebecois to boot. Wow, that's a twist. What did you lose money on GM w/the bailout too? Better you then Fred on the line in Michigan...

Didn't Toyota and Chevy collaborate back in the late 1980's and 1990's?

What do you get when you cross a Chevy w/a Toyota?

Wait for it.....

A Toilet.

:-)

Great... Now there is a Canadian on American soil thinking that Toyota is getting a a bum rap. And a Quebecois to boot. Wow, that's a twist. What did you lose money on GM w/the bailout too? Better you then Fred on the line in Michigan...

Zero.