Mr. Beer

Kevin

Shortly after Christmas I brewed my first batch of beer. I received a "Mr. Beer" kit for Christmas from my in-laws. Well, saturday I opened my first beer. It turned out good, for a light beer. So I ordered some more bottles, and their Doppleback. This weekend I'm going to brew that.

It took a while cause the temperature in my house is relatively low. Actually too low to brew beer. It took about 4 weeks in the keg. I lost one bottle in the carbonation stage. For some reason it didn't carbonate. It was the last bottle that I filled so I'm thinking that it had too much sediment from the bottom of the keg.

Anyone else do the Mr. Beer? I think I'm going to give it a year and then maybe move up to actual home brew. Depending on if I like it or not.

I bought my son a kit 2 years ago, it was a bit more advanced than the Mr. Beer kit, but it was a starter kit all the same. My son has been trying different brews and has upgraded to some pretty cool stuff. This year for Christmas I bought him a 10 gallon Blickmann pot with false bottom. It allows him to "cook" the grains and create his own malt. He also got the Blickman floor boiler which can bring 10 gallons to a boil quickly and keep temps steady when cooking out the sugars and other stuff. He and his buddies are now doing kegs and have some recipes that they are perfecting.

Have fun with the project, I have a feeling you will get hooked!

Thanks! My dad used to be heavy into home brewing and he ended up giving all of his equipment to my cousin.

It's fun. The Mr. Beer is most certainly a gateway to bigger and better home brew options. I can't wait until I get home to open another bottle!

Making things like this at home are a blast. I've wanted to make beer and wine but now that I'm on the wagon I won't. But as I've posted here before I've gone nuts with making cheese and cured meats. Here's what I've got waiting for me now.

1. Lonza (cured pork loin) ready this weekend

2. Bresaola (dired beef) also ready this weekend

3. Cured salmon (with preserved lemon and toasted cumin seeds) ready now.

4. Cured pork bellie (ready the end of March)

5. Three flavors cured sausages ready at the end of March

6. Camembert done....??

There is nothing like making these things yourself. Have fun!!

Cool. What is consdered too low (temp) to brew beer? I am assuming that is the ambient ait temp in the house where the brewing is taking place. ??

Optimal brewing temp is between 68-76 degrees. Brewing in my house. I don't run the heater often. Getting my beer to the low end was a task. I stored the keg in an ice chest in my laundry room (warmest room in my house).

I have a room that I set up for the brewing but it was too cold to use. Now that we are getting some warmer temps I'll use it for my next batch.

Isn't that illegal?

I was wondering about that too. If it is for ones own consumption, is it still illegal? Those laws have to be as old as our country?

Anyway... I set my thermostat to 67... I guess that would be too cold to brew beer... I never knew brewing had have an air temp that warm. Interesting.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Cool. What is consdered too low (temp) to brew beer? I am assuming that is the ambient ait temp in the house where the brewing is taking place. ??

It depends on what type of beer you are brewing. Kevin mentioned 68-75 degrees. For some ale yeasts, that is too high. I brewed a Belgian ale and the perfect temperature was between 65 and 68 for that yeast. If I started to get close to 70, I would get a strong banana note. Get below 65 degrees and fermentation slowed. If you do a lager, you want to be somewhere around 45 to 55 degrees.

Of course, you can get crazy and use a lager yeast, but ferment it at ale temperatures (cough...Anchor Steam...cough). :)

It depends on what type of beer you are brewing. Kevin mentioned 68-75 degrees. For some ale yeasts, that is too high. I brewed a Belgian ale and the perfect temperature was between 65 and 68 for that yeast. If I started to get close to 70, I would get a strong banana note. Get below 65 degrees and fermentation slowed. If you do a lager, you want to be somewhere around 45 to 55 degrees.

Of course, you can get crazy and use a lager yeast, but ferment it at ale temperatures (cough...Anchor Steam...cough). :)

BTW I used to live a couple of blocks for The Anchor Brewery. Smelled like freshly baked wheat bread.

I was wondering about that too. If it is for ones own consumption, is it still illegal? Those laws have to be as old as our country?

It's my understanding that it's illegal even for personal consumption. The hard liquor lobby is very strong. I knew someone that made his own Absinthe. It was fantastic and he wanted to take it to market but big liquor made it impossible for him. BTW the reason you can by a still is they can be used for making vinegars and essential oils. Just as bons are sold only for smoking of tobacco products. 0:)

BTW I used to live a couple of blocks for The Anchor Brewery. Smelled like freshly baked wheat bread.

My wife would always act like a snob towards beer. "Beer? That is so low brow, bowling alley-esque!" Go figure, her father smokes Philly's and drinks Genny pounders... I wonder where she ever got that idea from... LoL!

Then I told her the better beers were like drinking classy bread in a bottle. Easy to sway that damn wine, cheese, and baguette crowd! :wallbash: :wallbash:

I guess this would be one way to get her in on a brewery tour if we ever visited San Fran! :D

Isn't that illegal?

I think it's only illegal if you're selling it and not paying taxes on it. If it's for your "personal consumption" then I think it's ok.

If it's illegal either way then I have a lot of friends that I can blackmail now hahaha.

I think it's only illegal if you're selling it and not paying taxes on it. If it's for your "personal consumption" then I think it's ok.

If it's illegal either way then I have a lot of friends that I can blackmail now hahaha.

Start your blackmail plan. It is illegal to distill spirits even for personal consumption.