Cuomo to announce new IBM facility for Buffalo

TPS

I'm curious to see how many of those blue collar factory workers, who were paid an excellent wage, will now be permanently out of work, even after the import of those technology jobs.

Odd to see a democrat openly **** on a blue collar worker. Usually they only **** on them behind their backs.

Well Remington does make guns, after all. I am sure Gene and his like are thrilled to see them leave NY.

The last time I heard anyone talk about "high paying tech jobs" in Buffalo, it was 20 years ago, and it ended up being minimum-wage call centers that Buffalo still couldn't support.

Maybe if Governor Cuomo's REALLY good, he can get IBM to move back into the old, 90% vacant Marine Midland building, where they were 40 years ago before Buffalo's ridiculous politics drove them out of the region. Wouldn't that be a hoot? Cuomo dragging a kicking and screaming Buffalo back into the 70's...

Actually, Buffalo has a reasonably strong IT community ("reasonably" being relative to the rest of the economy - obviously we're no Silicon Valley). CTG, Cynacore, Yahoo, and other firms have either their headquarters or a strong presence in WNY. Also, there are decent number of back office IT jobs in banking and health care, not to mention other industries.

Lastly, I'm not aware of IBM ever having a significant footprint in the Marine Midland/HSBC/One Seneca building, aside from a small number of contractors who supported the various banking related occupants. (edit - which isn't to say they weren't, I'm just not aware...)

Edited by yall

Lastly, I'm not aware of IBM ever having a significant footprint in the Marine Midland/HSBC/One Seneca building, aside from a small number of contractors who supported the various banking related occupants. (edit - which isn't to say they weren't, I'm just not aware...)

Goes back many years. My father worked for IBM in Buffalo (retired in '05 or so); I remember plenty of times being in the IBM offices in the then-Marine Midland building. Now they're in a much smaller space on Lakefront Blvd.

And also, through the years and via my father, I watched the IT industry in Buffalo stagnate and contract. Hell, even today a big step for any of the few still-established companies in Buffalo is upgrading their 360 to a 390.

(Yes, LA, it said sprocket, not socket.)

Goes back many years. My father worked for IBM in Buffalo (retired in '05 or so); I remember plenty of times being in the IBM offices in the then-Marine Midland building. Now they're in a much smaller space on Lakefront Blvd.

And also, through the years and via my father, I watched the IT industry in Buffalo stagnate and contract. Hell, even today a big step for any of the few still-established companies in Buffalo is upgrading their 360 to a 390.

(Yes, LA, it said sprocket, not socket.)

Interesting, wasn't aware of that. They weren't the primary occupants thought right? Maybe a few floors like the Canadian Consulate or Phyllips/Little?

Interesting, wasn't aware of that. They weren't the primary occupants thought right? Maybe a few floors like the Canadian Consulate or Phyllips/Little?

Probably not the primary (I think that was Marine Midland themselves), but they had more than a couple of floors. I'll have to ask my dad the next time I talk to him.

They were probably there because Marine was one of their biggest clients at the time.

I thought we cleared this up, they are not leaving NY.

they chose to not expand their ny factory abd build a new one in Alabama. They have not left yet but once their new factory is up and running and if ny politics have not changed I would not be surprised if they pack up and consolidate operations in Alabama. No firearms company wants to be in a state With legislation like the NY "safe"act