I need help!

jshockeyguy7

driving home from college today.....wasnt really paying attention and got pulled over for doing 85 in the 55 mph zone of le salle expressway..... at least thats what the cop said.... im about to turn 18....have had my license for over a year....and have never had a ticket before.... court date is 09/14 and im scared....what should i expect and whats the worst im facing? thanks for all your help in advance....jokes and flamers dont need to be contributed....i know i messed up

16402[/snapback]

When you go to court.....pay off the prosecutor ... it works in Jersey :(

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It will be OK. I just got a speeding ticket about 2 months ago. I was going 64 in a 45. It was originally a 4 point ticket, but got it reduced to 2 points and a 180 fine. According to NJ Manufacturer's (the best car insurance in NJ), they don't recognize the first two points.

Go to court early, the Prosecutor WILL work with you to lower the points. You may get some, but since this is your first offense, they usually go easy on ya.

BTW, change your court date. Say you are in school, and you need some time. They'll do it for ya.

driving home from college today.....wasnt really paying attention and got pulled over for doing 85 in the 55 mph zone of le salle expressway..... at least thats what the cop said.... im about to turn 18....have had my license for over a year....and have never had a ticket before.... court date is 09/14 and im scared....what should i expect and whats the worst im facing? thanks for all your help in advance....jokes and flamers dont need to be contributed....i know i messed up

16402[/snapback]

You're a hockey guy, and I'm a referee. Here's what I see out of most of you midget-aged players:

You need haircuts. Get a haircut and clean yourself up before you go to court. The judge will probably be older than your father, and guys in their 40's and 50's don't like seeing you young guys with all that hair and ratty clothing. Somebody suggested a suit. Do it. Somebody suggested a lawyer. Get one. Somebody suggested traffic school. Go to it. I know this all seems expensive, but it will be less than paying super high insurance for the next several years.

Do whatever it takes to keep those points off your record. Your insurance is high enough - you don't want to know how high it will be if you have a lot of points.

Good luck, hockey boy!

Signed,

Stripes

Get a lawyer now and consult with him. You're in deep doo-doo if you've had your license for only a year and are under 25. If you get points for speeding, not only does it move you a little closer to suspension, but you will take a huge hit on your insurance cost over the next 3 years... perhaps as much as $500 per year.

An attoney will try to plea it down in lieu of you taking a safe driving course... or fight it by summining training records of the cop, calibration records of the radar gun, etc, etc. and dragging it out til it ultimately gets dismissed... in the end you may end up paying the lawyer $1500, but you avaoid the points on your license and increaded insurance fees. You have to weigh what is better for you.

You're a hockey guy, and I'm a referee.  Here's what I see out of most of you midget-aged players:

You need haircuts.  Get a haircut and clean yourself up before you go to court.  The judge will probably be older than your father, and guys in their 40's and 50's don't like seeing you young guys with all that hair and ratty clothing.  Somebody suggested a suit.  Do it.  Somebody suggested a lawyer.  Get one.  Somebody suggested traffic school.  Go to it.  I know this all seems expensive, but it will be less than paying super high insurance for the next several years.

Do whatever it takes to keep those points off your record.  Your insurance is high enough - you don't want to know how high it will be if you have a lot of points. 

Good luck, hockey boy!

Signed,

Stripes

17013[/snapback]

I always thought he was a Jeremy Shockey Fan.

Which one is it?

Two quick things:

1) You aren't going to lose your license, so don't fret about that. The infraction wasn't high enough to warrent that. Just do what Cincy said, be respectful and be on time in court and be humble...you will be fine.

2) The date on the back of the ticket is NOT your court date. A lot of people make that mistake. That is your apperance date. Check 'not guilty' and send it in. The court will send a letter to you with your court date on it. Definitely plead not guilty though, then be appologetic in court. You will be fine.

Worst thing that will happen is a 300 buck ticket and points on your license.

It depends on the law of the state, but you are probably looking at a reckless driving ticket.  You will pay court fees, the ticket (which will probably be quite a bit for 30mph), and your insurance will skyrocket.

Pretty much screwed.

The only thing that will get you out of the ticket is if the cop doesn't show and you contest it.  I had it happen once when I was about 16...the cop showed.  I know a lot of people who say they have gone to court and the cop didn't show.  It's a toss up.

One thing you can do (again it depends on state) is go to a driver school.  I did that when I got my ticket.  Takes points off your license and some courts will even waive some of the court fees or ticket fee.  This could be a pain for you though, depending on where you are going to school/where you will be when the class happens/what county the ticket was given.

Good luck.

16414[/snapback]

Right, it is more that likely a "reckless driving" charge. Try to plead it down to "improper driving" and request Driving School (it will only be one or two days). Other than your out of pocket for the class, you will make out much better. The ticket should not be entered into your record if you complete the course and you may actually end up with positive points on your record. As stated above, it varies from state to state. Good luck to you....and slow down! :P

In NY, 30mph over the limit is a 6 point violation that carries up to a $300 fine and 15 days in jail. You're lucky it wasn't 31mph over, which is an 8 point violation with up to a $600 fine/30 days.

Pay the $200-$400 for a lawyer. He/she will likely get the charge reduced to a lesser speeding, probably a 3 point violation, and you may not even need to appear. Taking defensive driving can then eliminate up to 3 points on your license.

Go to court early, the Prosecutor WILL work with you to lower the points. You may get some, but since this is your first offense, they usually go easy on ya.

BTW, change your court date. Say you are in school, and you need some time. They'll do it for ya.

-----------------------------------------

This is so untrue. Each court is different in how they work with the public. Some negotitate, some don't.

But, seeing that I've had WAAYYYYY too many tickets, it's worth it to go and see if they will.

Also.....84 in a 55??? You sound like my wife....

js-hockey-guy-7 (7 has been my number for all 12 years ive played) just for those who were wondering.... as for changing my court date...as luck has it i legitimately have an accounting class at the same time court was scheduled for me....so if i call and have proof, will they delay it for me? i am planning on going to court early and hopefully pleading my case to the prosecutor beforehand... im not a bad kid...just made one stupid, thoughtless mistake....schoolwork, my 2 jobs, div 1 hockey, and a g/f were all on my mind that day and i just lost track of my speed and train of thought....i talked to my dad who works at the niagara county jail...im supposed to give him a call today and see what he suggests.... i still havent told my mom and step dad about it yet....im hoping to talk to my dad and get a better picture of whats going on...which i already have thanks to this board and the buffalobills community....i just know once they find out ill be off their insurance...which i dont disagree with....but i cannot afford my own insurance along with all the other costs im paying....funny how one stupid mistake could impact more than you ever thought it could....the only thing that really scares me as of right now though....is that they might take my home opener ticket away from me! :P that would be the worst punishment of all :D...anyways thanks to everyone for their continued input / advice / and words of comfort...i appreciate it

js-hockey-guy-7 (7 has been my number for all 12 years ive played) just for those who were wondering.... as for changing my court date...as luck has it i legitimately have an accounting class at the same time court was scheduled for me....so if i call and have proof, will they delay it for me? i am planning on going to court early and hopefully pleading my case to the prosecutor beforehand... im not a bad kid...just made one stupid, thoughtless mistake....schoolwork, my 2 jobs, div 1 hockey, and a g/f were all on my mind that day and i just lost track of my speed and train of thought....i talked to my dad who works at the niagara county jail...im supposed to give him a call today and see what he suggests.... i still havent told my mom and step dad about it yet....im hoping to talk to my dad and get a better picture of whats going on...which i already have thanks to this board and the buffalobills community....i just know once they find out ill be off their insurance...which i dont disagree with....but i cannot afford my own insurance along with all the other costs im paying....funny how one stupid mistake could impact more than you ever thought it could....the only thing that really scares me as of right now though....is that they might take my home opener ticket away from me!  :P that would be the worst punishment of all :D...anyways thanks to everyone for their continued input / advice / and words of comfort...i appreciate it

17273[/snapback]

Let us know what happens or you'll get a 10-minute misconduct! Good luck!

Guest WVUFootball29

16402[/snapback]

Being a Police Cadet and being around Law Enforcement all my life, my advice to you is to go to court, Plea guilty, show the judge and officer that you are truly sorry for the offense, take your lumps and hope they reduce it. Since this is your first offense, as long as you dont get a judge or cop who is a "stevestojan head" you'll probly get off with a lesser charge/fine.

Make sure you dress well (Shirt and tie, dress shoes) speak intelligently while in court, impress upon them that you are an upstanding citizen who just made a mistake. It'll help ya out

Good luck to ya

Have your dad call the trooper..make sure he tells him he works for the correctional institution..THIS MIGHT WORK......

He'll remember you so if you weren't a smartass to the cop then youve got some room....

I work in insurance and depending on the company YOU CAN BE DROPPED FOR ANYTHING OVER 20 mph....and your a young male so you are paying the highest amount of anyone already...put this on and you are majorly screwed for 3 years!...... do whatever you can to get it reduced...

Have your dad ask him if he would be willing to change the violation to a seatbelt or a less severe moving violation(which doesn't help completely but no ways near as much as 29 over).....ask him if you were to go to "driver training" if he won't budge....that sucks but its an 8 hr course for about $50....depends on the area...you can go 8 hrs on a Sat or sometime 2 4 hr....check with the dmv to see if they have classes in your area...this will take 3 points off your license and get 10% discount for 3 years on your auto insurance...

Have him lay it on thick....your in college-clean record etc.....

DO NOT PLEAD GUILTY TO THE AMOUNT!

I have a close friend in the our police dept and he's "made calls" for me and got me off a speeding ticket in a workzone (state trooper also)

If all else fails, get a local lawyer....although it may sound expensive...it's not even close to what you'll pay in fines and increased insurance and possible license suspension....they usually will charge a flat fee for this...

Also.....you've got to understand your a target (young male driver) and you've GOT TO SLOW DOWN....if it takes another 5 minutes to get home instead of going 84 then relax and enjoy the 5 extra minutes...you'll be safer, and it won't cost as much...expecially if you convicted of the 29 over. If you don't loose your license now, you are on the edge and one move minor slip up and YOUR SCREWED!!! Then how will you get back and forth to college...

Be polite at all times even if your convicted....show up to court (if you have to) in nice clothes and clean shaven....you may be on the mercy of the judge....if your down to the last straw...tell your story to the judge and hope he got laid the night before.....

Good luck, your gonna need it....but if you try real hard, you just might get out of it....my guess is he'll reduce it to 15 over.....not as bad as 16....16 is the "major violation" threshold on speeding tickets for insurance....hell if your desperate tell them you'll plead guilty to 15 mph but anything over 15 hurts bad...but where your at (29) your almost f'd...

Do what you can...don't give up....

good luck

now you must let us know what happens, thats the deal....

thanks so much everyone for your support and your suggestions....i talked to my dad again today....he actually knows the judge and he said he can probably help me out....i dont know what to think of this yet....i know its a great deal and all.....but i know i messed up and i think i should assume at least some of the responsibility for my actions...just that what i would of been facing could of literally ruined me and my college career by not having the ability to drive to school or the money to pay for a huge fine....i still have to go to court and i still havent told the other half of my parents (mom and step dad) but i have to own up to it sometime...its just frightening.....ill be sure to let everyone know what happens....and is anyone in this thread going to be at the opener? im going to be mostly with my family and my g/f.....but it would be nice to meet some fellow wallers....ive checked this site religiously for 2 years....even though it took me a while to get a user name...and i knew this would be just the place to go to for advice during my time of need and i thank everyone for it....for the 2 or 3 pessimists in this thread...it must of been nice growing up being perfect and not making any mistakes.....thanks again everyone!

Go to court, the first date is just an initial hearing, I've been to 2 of them. They will offer you a plea bargain meaning a lesser penalty provided u save them the trouble and plead guilty to the charge. usually the best option especially if it is your first offense. What they will offer you is something like 2-3 parking tickets with no points hopefully, in the range of 150-400, I'm gonna guess closer to the 250 range for something that fast. Just go to court dressed appropriately, talk nice to the judge etc. You'll be ok, if u do get pts liek soemone else said, go tot def. driving school, knocks off 3pts i think.