Lawyer Milloy not impressed with the Steelers

Rico

Milloy

Also says the Pats are cheapskates.

Milloy also offered some interesting commentary on the Pats' team-first emphasis, saying it suited the organization as a whole but didn't necessarily benefit the individual players when it came to Pro Bowls and contracts.

``Some of those guys, I think, are underpaid,'' said Milloy, who was cut by the Pats just days before the 2003 opener. ``It's always a team thing getting thrown around there, but if some of those guys would test the market, being a champion that they've been, they could really go out there and make top dollar. But, for some reason, they want to stay. And that's good.

``But the other part is (making sure) your family is stable after football is all done. You can't feed your family off of Super Bowl rings :D .''

Milloy

213516[/snapback]

Wow, hard to be impressed with Lawyer Milloy after reading that bull sh--.

"But the other part is (making sure) your family is stable after football is all done. You can't feed your family off of Super Bowl rings."

Is this guy telling me that making 4-5 million dollars a year over 8 years is not enough to make sure your family is 'stable?' You have got to be kidding me. Must be rough to have it so hard. Hope I don't have to see Lawyer at the Salvation Army in a few years.

"But the other part is (making sure) your family is stable after football is all done. You can't feed your family off of Super Bowl rings."

Is this guy telling me that making 4-5 million dollars a year over 8 years is not enough to make sure your family is 'stable?'  You have got to be kidding me.  Must be rough to have it so hard.  Hope I don't have to see Lawyer at the Salvation Army in a few years.

213527[/snapback]

I don't know, I think in football there's much more reason to try go with the big bucks. Your career is always tenuous due to injury and anyone once they make a certain amount of money wants to make more.

I don't know, I think in football there's much more reason to try go with the big bucks. Your career is always tenuous due to injury and anyone once they make a certain amount of money wants to make more.

213540[/snapback]

That's a cop out. One could realize that they have an opportunity to make more money in a couple years than many make in a lifetime. They are blessed with an ability that yields them prizes that are far richer than most. If they don't want to risk getting injured, they don't have to take the millions in the first place. Ricky Williams is doing just that.

You don't have to be a greedy **** to be an NFL player. Witness Warrick Dunn.

That's a cop out.  One could realize that they have an opportunity to make more money in a couple years than many make in a lifetime.  They are blessed with an ability that yields them prizes that are far richer than most.  If they don't want to risk getting injured, they don't have to take the millions in the first place.  Ricky Williams is doing just that.

You don't have to be a greedy **** to be an NFL player.  Witness Warrick Dunn.

213550[/snapback]

Would I take the money that they make over what I make now? Yes, in a heartbeat, but I cannot say that I once I got there that I would like others of lesser talent making more. If it's so easy not to be a greedy **** why are so many players acting in this way? It's natural to want to keep on improving your station no matter how rich you are.

Would I take the money that they make over what I make now? Yes, in a heartbeat, but I cannot say that I once I got there that I would like others of lesser talent making more. If it's so easy not to be a greedy **** why are so many players acting in this way? It's natural to want to keep on improving your station no matter how rich you are.

213557[/snapback]

I think saying it's natural implies that greed is a natural impulse. It isn't. It's learned.

It can be just as natural to weigh all the options and take a bit of a cut to build and stay on a winning team. That's what the Patriots are doing, perhaps our players could learn from them.

I don't feel bad for Pats players who can't buy their cousin that extra Beamer because they didn't pocket another million, instead opting for a championship.

Personally, I've given thought to that before -the Pats true 'team concept'- and are their great players under-appreciated as a result. The undefeated Fish's No-Name D only has 2 HOFer's -Hernandez & Scott, I believe yet THEY were most responsible for that season. Milloy's comments do ring harsh to us muckers but I don't believe he meant any harm. I can only suppose that if I were gifted enough to play in the NFL, I too would strive for every penny I could get. Greed is a human trait, afterall

I think saying it's natural implies that greed is a natural impulse.  It isn't.  It's learned.

It can be just as natural to weigh all the options and take a bit of a cut to build and stay on a winning team.  That's what the Patriots are doing, perhaps our players could learn from them.

I don't feel bad for Pats players who can't buy their cousin that extra Beamer because they didn't pocket another million, instead opting for a championship.

213561[/snapback]

I don't feel bad for them and I don't fault them for taking less money. I would love if players on the Bills did the same as a Bills fan. At the same time, I am not going to hate someone for going to another team for more money though.

I don't think it's necessarily just greed we are talking about here. If status didn't play a role than why would these players sign contracts with high dollar figures they won't realize a couple years down the road except for status? It's not like the players are taking money from starving children here, they are taking it from billionaire owners.

213557[/snapback]

Exactly. If you make 30,000 a year or 3,000,000, you are still going to want what you think is your "fair market value." People act is if just becuase the amount of money is different, the principle is not. If you thought you were one of the best employees at your company, but you saw others in the same fields either at your company or a competitor's making more than you, I'm betting it would not sit right. This doesn't change when the dollars go up or down.

Additionally, people get used to living a lifestyle that their financial situation can afford them. For the most part, people who make 1,000,000 per year do not act as if they make 40,000. They have a nicer car, bigger house, higher property taxes, etc. The argument that they do not need to live that way is totally subjective. I bet people who make far less could find ways to make the money go further. You got cable? Satellite TV? Nice stereo? DVD collection? Season tix? ETC, ETC, ETC. Now also imagine that your job only allows you to work for a maximum of 10 years (and 3-4 on the average). Could you make enough money to last the rest of your life?

Who knows? But I think it's a little unfair to judge someone else's situation because it appears to be easier.

Rant done. :D

Is this guy telling me that making 4-5 million dollars a year over 8 years is not enough to make sure your family is 'stable?'  You have got to be kidding me.  Must be rough to have it so hard.  Hope I don't have to see Lawyer at the Salvation Army in a few years.

213527[/snapback]

Dam, this is just what I was saying in another thread yesterday. Milloy saying the Stillers didn't impress him. Did they friggin impress him when they went on a nine minute drive to end our friggin season.

Dam, anybody else now wish we had signed Harrison?

Exactly. If you make 30,000 a year or 3,000,000, you are still going to want what you think is your "fair market value." People act is if just becuase the amount of money is different, the principle is not. If you thought you were one of the best employees at your company, but you saw others in the same fields either at your company or a competitor's making more than you, I'm betting it would not sit right. This doesn't change when the dollars go up or down.

Additionally, people get used to living a lifestyle that their financial situation can afford them. For the most part, people who make 1,000,000 per year do not act as if they make 40,000. They have a nicer car, bigger house, higher property taxes, etc. The argument that they do not need to live that way is totally subjective. I bet people who make far less could find ways to make the money go further. You got cable? Satellite TV? Nice stereo? DVD collection? Season tix? ETC, ETC, ETC. Now also imagine that your job only allows you to work for a maximum of 10 years (and 3-4 on the average). Could you make enough money to last the rest of your life?

Who knows? But I think it's a little unfair to judge someone else's situation because it appears to be easier.

213573[/snapback]

Very good post Bart!

Before anyone blasts Milloy on this, please ask yourself these questions.

Milloy wants to take care of his family as they are currently cared for, I don't blame him for that. My income has increased over the past several years and because of that so has my lifestyle. I'm not going to take less from my company, and if they don't want to pay me what I feel I'm worth, I'll look for another job.

Milloy should STFU. He's not as good as he thinks he is (and BB knew it) and he's clearly  more interested in his money than his team. Hey, I think Milloy would make GREAT trade bait. I wouldn't cry over his loss.

213538[/snapback]

Yeah, that's an excellent idea. Because, you know, our defense didn't miss him at all when he was out. We'll always have Coy Wire.

And on the main point, I don't see the problem with players getting what they can. It's a business, it's not a "family". I wouldn't take a 20% pay cut so my company would have a chance of being the best in the state.

It is impressive how Belichick has gotten players to buy into his team philosophy, though.

Milloy should STFU. He's not as good as he thinks he is (and BB knew it) and he's clearly  more interested in his money than his team. Hey, I think Milloy would make GREAT trade bait. I wouldn't cry over his loss.

213538[/snapback]

YEAR TOT SOLO AST SACK STF STFY FF BK INT YDS AVG LNG TD PD

2004 62.... 44..... 18.... 4..... 0..... 0.. 0.. 0... 2... 20... 10.0 11.. 0.. 5

Looks like a pretty damn good year for , what 9 games? to me..... :D

And on the main point, I don't see the problem with players getting what they can.  It's a business, it's not a "family".  I wouldn't take a 20% pay cut so my company would have a chance of being the best in the state.

It is impressive how Belichick has gotten players to buy into his team philosophy, though.

213646[/snapback]

MRW, for the most I agree with you. I would most likely take the the most money as well. Lest we forget, we think that $1m here or there no big deal when making the money they are,and probably for the top 5 % of players thats true. But consider by the time these guys get thier checks, net is most likely only around 40%. Still a lot a cake, but not like they will be buying a franchise or anything.

The thing that got me was how he said the Stillers didn't impress him. Money or no, how can an offence using thier third strin qb and 4th string running back, phsically whipping you on a day your season died, not impress you. I just think some of these guys do not hate to lose as much as they should. However, do know how much I would be broken up if I had NFL talent, was drafted by the Fins, and we didnt make the playoffs.

Growing up Bills fans, I think we have more emotional ties than the players

213573[/snapback]

Very true, but let's just say that Lawyer has $10M invested. If he's smart, he invests in something that has historically returned 10% or so/ year, and he withdraws 6% a year as income. He SHOULD be set for life, and his pension from the league will be gravy.

Even before taxes, I don't know of anyone that can't support a family off of $600,000/ year. Well, matbe Latrell Spreewell can't.

MRW, for the most I agree with you. I would most likely take the the most money as well. Lest we forget, we think that $1m here or there no big deal when making the money they are,and probably for the top 5 % of players thats true. But consider by the time these guys get thier checks, net is most likely only around 40%. Still a lot a cake, but not like they will be buying a franchise or anything.

The thing that got me was how he said the Stillers didn't impress him. Money or no, how can an offence using thier third strin qb and 4th string running back, phsically whipping you on a day your season died, not impress you. I just think some of these guys do not hate to lose as much as they should. However, do know how much I would be broken up if I had NFL talent, was drafted by the Fins, and we didnt make the playoffs.

Growing up Bills fans, I think we have more emotional ties than the players

213662[/snapback]

True, I think it is a bit odd for him to say the Steelers don't impress him after the way they whipped the team's butts. Which also makes me wonder about the amount of confidence people have in the Pats winning. True, Cowher can choke in the big games, but the style of game they play is not as susceptible to game-planning as an offense like the Colts. I think this one could go either way.

And it's definitely true about the emotional ties. I would also add that just like any job, you'll have people who love their work and make their life revolve around it and others who treat it as one aspect of their life, or maybe just something to pay the bills. I have a hard time judging players harshly if they don't make it the complete focus of their lives. What I expect is for them to prepare, go out on the field, and give it their best. I think Milloy's done that.