Lawyer Milloy not impressed with the Steelers

Rico

Very true, but let's just say that Lawyer has $10M invested.  If he's smart, he invests in something that has historically returned 10% or so/ year, and he withdraws 6% a year as income.  He SHOULD be set for life, and his pension from the league will be gravy.

Even before taxes, I don't know of anyone that can't support a family off of $600,000/ year.  Well, matbe Latrell Spreewell can't.

213665[/snapback]

Oh I very much agree with you that he should DEF be able to support a family off that kind of money. I will say this though:

Milloy is in the upper echelon of players and salaries. I doubt there are very many NFL players who had either the cash or discipline to invest such a great amount of money. Remember, a lot of these players are getting this money at such a young age and for a lot of them, it is probably the first time they have been able to spend. It would take extreme restraint and discipline to put off the desire to splurge and live it up in favor of an investment. Not impossible, but not nearly automatic either.

And my main point is that I have no qualms with someone wanting to be paid what they feel they are worth in their profession. This does not exclude pro athletes, musicians, actors, etc. just because they make a lot more on average.

How many people here would leave their job now to double their money and be secure for life? Most everyone! Also, for those who want to bad mouth the play of Milloy should look at the defense the first 5-6 games when we didn't have him in the lineup. He was VITAL to the success of this team. It is no surprise that the defense improved and the team started winning the second he came back.

I think saying it's natural implies that greed is a natural impulse.  It isn't.  It's learned.

213561[/snapback]

I respectfully disagree. Greed is very much a natural impulse. So is fear. In trading, these are the two emotions that are your enemies and are exactly the reasons why humankind has developed into what it has over the eons. They are the key elements in the fight/flight reaction you see in nature.

I'm not one of those Gordon Gekko "greed is good" people, either. Greed is greed.

I do, however, agree with your handle. RUN THE DAMN BALL. I have a feeling you'll see quite a bit of that in Pittsburgh on Sunday.

Oh I very much agree with you that he should DEF be able to support a family off that kind of money. I will say this though:

Milloy is in the upper echelon of players and salaries. I doubt there are very many NFL players who had either the cash or discipline to invest such a great amount of money. Remember, a lot of these players are getting this money at such a young age and for a lot of them, it is probably the first time they have been able to spend. It would take extreme restraint and discipline to put off the desire to splurge and live it up in favor of an investment. Not impossible, but not nearly automatic either.

And my main point is that I have no qualms with someone wanting to be paid what they feel they are worth in their profession. This does not exclude pro athletes, musicians, actors, etc. just because they make a lot more on average.

213705[/snapback]

Agreed on all points.

Dam, this is just what I was saying in another thread yesterday. Milloy saying the Stillers didn't impress him. Did they friggin impress him when they went on a nine minute drive to end our friggin season.

Dam, anybody else now wish we had signed Harrison?

213593[/snapback]

hellllllllllllll no man

harrison would disgrace the bills, dirty pos

in my opinion, milloy played awesome this year anyway when he was healthy

How many people here would leave their job now to double their money and be secure for life?  Most everyone!  Also, for those who want to bad mouth the play of Milloy should look at the defense the first 5-6 games when we didn't have him in the lineup.  He was VITAL to the success of this team.  It is no surprise that the defense improved and the team started winning the second he came back.

213753[/snapback]

Yep.

When I read Lawyer's comments, I concluded he was rooting FOR the Steelers and against the Pats.

He says that the Steelers "didn't impress" him. He knows that comment is going on the Steelers' locker room wall this week as motivation against the Patriots.

He said that the Patriots are underpaid, and that they should be thinking about taking care of their families. Maybe he's hoping that comment will cause some of the Patriots' players to start demanding more cash in contract negotiations, thereby hurting that franchise.

Or maybe he's not as calculating as I'm giving him credit for.

When I read Lawyer's comments, I concluded he was rooting FOR the Steelers and against the Pats.

He says that the Steelers "didn't impress" him. He knows that comment is going on the Steelers' locker room wall this week as motivation against the Patriots.

He said that the Patriots are underpaid, and that they should be thinking about taking care of their families. Maybe he's hoping that comment will cause some of the Patriots' players to start demanding more cash in contract negotiations, thereby hurting that franchise.

Or maybe he's not as calculating as I'm giving him credit for.

214100[/snapback]

That's a pretty elaborate conspiracy theory! I like it.

If Milloy isn't thinking that way, he should start.

I don't begrudge Lawyer Milloy for his 2003 decision for one second. The Patriots gave him a choice (take a pay cut or be cut) and he chose to get cut. Seeing that he ended up making significantly more money by going to Buffalo than he would have by staying, how can anyone possibly fault him?

Football players play in a dangerous sport where they're always just one play away from losing their livelihood for life (and often don't have guaranteed money to fall back on).

Lawyer is a great guy and I will always be a fan of his for his leadership, attitude and generosity towards the fans here as well as to charities. As a fan I think it is important to be objective about the business decisions that players need to make. I would have done the same thing if I was Lawyer.

From the Pats' perspective, they ended up getting a better younger player for less money (Wilson), so they could hardly be faulted either. Football is a tough business, but ultimately I think that all parties made the correct decisions in those negotiations. Because Lawyer was such an emotional leader for New England and because he was so close to Belichick early in his career, I think that a certain amount of bitterness is natural and normal.

The only thing I would question is his assertion that the Patriots are stingy. They have spent to the limit of the cap every year since Kraft has been the owner. The difference is that they pay less for players 1-10 and more for players 20-45 than other organizations. The maximum amount of dollars goes from ownership to the entire team.