• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

SOME?

213592[/snapback]

Well, he's like a kindred spirit when it comes to the Bledsoe issue, so I can't be too hard on the guy.......but it's not often someone on here cracks me up like he does. Though DC Tom is a close second

I don't ever recall a time when he WAS funny...

seriously.. he reminded me of one of the 7 year olds I used to have to take care of that had ADD...

He's a giant kid... annoying as hell. .

213549[/snapback]

Williams is like Chevy Chase ...except Chevy was funny for about 3 seconds longer

3 words: I.....C.....E :D

just kidding, my son might have some sort of it and it is frustrating as hell. no one is willing or able to move as quickly as you need them to to get a good diagnosis, and no one realizes how hard you are actually trying.

As a father of two and after hearing about Robbins, Underwood, Spellman, Strezlyck (sorry if i mispelled that) and Wicky Williams I am concerned about it. Does anybody know anyone that's bi-polar and are there any signs or symptoms that can be detected in a person early?

213291[/snapback]

Drugs or drug use does not make you bi-polar. People can and usually do experience depression from drug abuse, but one does not become bi-polar.

I personally do not believe steriods to be a cause of bi-polarism, but the abuse of steriods could trigger rage problems associated with it.

bi-polar is a mental illness, and many persons who are bi-polar seek out refuge in drugs to help them to cope with their up and down cycles. They do so usually not knowing they are bi-polar.

A person who is bi-polar will one day be curled up in a ball in serious depression, then the next day riding a happy-go-lucky energy wave that most menatally balanced people cannot obtain. It a roller coaster ride from hell for people who are seriosly affected.

Drugs or drug use does not make you bi-polar. People can and usually do experience depression from drug abuse, but one does not become bi-polar.

I personally do not believe steriods to be a cause of bi-polarism, but the abuse of steriods could trigger rage problems associated with it.

bi-polar is a mental illness, and many persons who are bi-polar seek out refuge in drugs to help them to cope with their up and down cycles. They do so usually not knowing they are bi-polar.

A person who is bi-polar will one day be curled up in a ball in serious depression, then the next day riding a happy-go-lucky energy wave that most menatally balanced people cannot obtain. It a roller coaster ride from hell for people who are seriosly affected.

213799[/snapback]

Seems like it would be great except for the first part.

A person who is bi-polar will one day be curled up in a ball in serious depression, then the next day riding a happy-go-lucky energy wave that most menatally balanced people cannot obtain.

213799[/snapback]

Though to be perfectly honest, not everyone who's bipolar is that bad, nor are those who are that bad that bad all the time. "Bipolar disorder" covers a relatively wide range of behaviors all characterized by mood swings more extreme than normal.

Seems like it would be great except for the first part.

213806[/snapback]

No, even in mild form it pretty much sucks. It's not just mood swings...it's a fundamental change in the way the brain processes information (for example, the same color looks vastly different to me when I'm depressed vs. when I'm manic. A clear blue sky is a leperous gray when I'm depressed, but a bright neon blue when I'm manic.) Not being able to relate to the world around you in a consistent fashion - even if the differences are only mild - is a miserable experience.

Though to be perfectly honest, not everyone who's bipolar is that bad, nor are those who are that bad that bad all the time.  "Bipolar disorder" covers a relatively wide range of behaviors all characterized by mood swings more extreme than normal.

213826[/snapback]

Yes I agree, I guess I should have mentioned that myself. My example was extreme cases. However many people who think they might be suffering from mild forms of bi-polar illness are actually just normal.

No, even in mild form it pretty much sucks.  It's not just mood swings...it's a fundamental change in the way the brain processes information (for example, the same color looks vastly different to me when I'm depressed vs. when I'm manic.  A clear blue sky is a leperous gray when I'm depressed, but a bright neon blue when I'm manic.)  Not being able to relate to the world around you in a consistent fashion - even if the differences are only mild - is a miserable experience.

213834[/snapback]

So those high points, you don't get anything out of them? I had heard that some became very creative during them.

So those high points, you don't get anything out of them? I had heard that some became  very creative during them.

213889[/snapback]

Sure, I get a lot out of them. Wrote my entire master's thesis (100+ pages) and three journal articles in a three-week manic episode. On the other hand, the last serious manic episode I had (five years ago, before I got any treatment), I ran up several thousand dollars in credit card debt (walked into an Electronics Boutique and bought $400 of computer games in one shot); was unable to drive safely for being distracted by anything and everything (while doing 80 in a 50, I was able to distinguish and count the individual blades of grass at the side of the road); read eight books on the German U-Boat campaign in WWII; wrote some kick-ass limericks; and wrote a script outline for THE next great blockbuster action-adventure smash box-office hit of a movie involving, somehow, a dozen giant man-eating mutant penguins. (And I developed a mathematical model for neurotransmitter action in the brain that just may have had something to it...but I threw that out and kept the damned penguin movie script instead. :devil:)

So yeah, you can get a lot out if it. Wanna buy a movie script? :lol: And ultimately...it's not worth it. The inability to relate long-term to anything consistently is a poor trade-off...not to mention the long-term effects of "kindling" (meaning: untreated, each episode means the next one's worse and more dangerous) probably took a decade off my life.

Sure, I get a lot out of them.  Wrote my entire master's thesis (100+ pages) and three journal articles in a three-week manic episode.  On the other hand, the last serious manic episode I had (five years ago, before I got any treatment), I ran up several thousand dollars in credit card debt (walked into an Electronics Boutique and bought $400 of computer games in one shot); was unable to drive safely for being distracted by anything and everything (while doing 80 in a 50, I was able to distinguish and count the individual blades of grass at the side of the road); read eight books on the German U-Boat campaign in WWII; wrote some kick-ass limericks; and wrote a script outline for THE next great blockbuster action-adventure smash box-office hit of a movie involving, somehow, a dozen giant man-eating mutant penguins.  (And I developed a mathematical model for neurotransmitter action in the brain that just may have had something to it...but I threw that out and kept the damned penguin movie script instead.  :devil:)

So yeah, you can get a lot out if it.  Wanna buy a movie script?  :lol:  And ultimately...it's not worth it.  The inability to relate long-term to anything consistently is a poor trade-off...not to mention the long-term effects of "kindling" (meaning: untreated, each episode means the next one's worse and more dangerous) probably took a decade off my life.

213930[/snapback]

Man, I thought I was married to a wonderful person. Your wife must be something extremely special.

Hey, I've got my masters in counseling, and an older brother with Bi-polar. From my own experience with My bro... the onset is usually late teens early 20's. He is my half brother, and his father is a multi-millionairre. He had the world set up for him real nice, until he made bad decision after bad decision. It didn't really hit him hard until his mid 20's he's now 32. He hasn't held a job in 6 years, abuses all sorts of drugs, and escapes the world. he comes into your life for a week or two only to disappear for a month or two afterwards. Like the other guy said, the moods swing from extreme highs, and extreme lows. As the person gets older, and if they go untreated, the differences between the highs and the low become greater over time. their is a high suicide rate involved if untreated, and usually occurs in the High manic phase (which is surprising) due to the fact that they do not want to head back to the low depression stages. If u have any more questions feel free to ask.