Bill Cowher kicks the snot out of

AKC

I'm no Cowher fan but there's some serious precedent for a Steeler's win this weekend based upon Cowher's teams of the past. While Bill Belichick is the analytical coach who trains his fighters to play smart and play together- buying their mental emotion in the vast majority of circumstances, Cowher is a guy who has many times bought his fighter's adrenaline with toughness instead of smarts. As sporting as it is to watch the smart fighter beat the tough guy in many circumstances, this time we have a coach who lives on predicting the other team's tendencies and confusing the opposition. It's proven effective in the immediate past. On Sunday the outcome will come down to this:

If Bill Cowher found himself in a physical confrontation with the analytical Bill Belichick the fighting would end with Belichick on the floor with his hands covering his face screaming STOP! STOP! SOMEONE STOP HIM!

Cowher would knock the stuffing out of Belichick mainly because his fight would be from a deeper emotion, a more basic instinct than logic, one fed by adrenalin and coaxed on by a hunger that logic is unable to compete with.

Cowher's trick Sunday will be exploiting the same thing- to bring out the animal element of his players to consume the logical coach, logical QB and logical defensive strategy the Pats will no doubt unveil as the game unfolds. Twice this season the logical QB of the Pats faced pressure, and twice this season that same logical QB folded like a Galloping Gourmet episode filmed at a girl's school.

Over the course of the Cowher career he's displayed plenty of reasons to assume he'll fall to a far more intellectual strategy. There's plenty of reason to believe the same will happen Sunday, hence the Vegas line on the game. But the one element the Vegas line can miss, a line established by cold logic and analysis, is the same element of emotion that Cowher has successfully called out at times in the past.

It won't take long to determine whether there'll be a game Sunday in Pitt- Belichick will no doubt have his troops arrive with the emotion of logic ready to win a road game- the key is the Steelers. Do they show up with the look of a guy whose wife just told him about an affair and he's got an address he wants to visit or do they come out flat like they did against the Jets?

I'd be less inclined to buy the logical Vegas line since the Jet's game appeared to be a "looked past" Sunday. The Steeler tone will be obvious early- they come out to play or they simply don't have it. It's tough to bet that their coach can't find another week of emotion out of a talented group who must realize just how emotionless they played last week.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i'll take any bet.

the steelers WILL lose this game, and the pats WILL win another SB.

213099[/snapback]

It's tough to bet on a subjective proposition- I've suggested that if the Pittsburgh Steelers come out flat as they did last week there's little chance of them winning Sunday, yet if the history of their head coach- a guy who's arguable strength is in getting the team up emotionally for games on many occasions- proves Sunday to be a week Cowher accomplished exactly that, the Pat's will get their butts handed to them.

In the interest of your propostion though, I'd take a "bet" on it if we allowed a measure, such as a fan who watches the Steelers most Sundays, to judge whether the Steelers had their adrenaline in order as I've suggested or whether they come out like they're visiting their mother-in-law for New Year's Eve- like they did last week.

It's tough to bet on a subjective proposition- I've suggested that if the Pittsburgh Steelers come out flat as they did last week there's little chance of them winning Sunday, yet if the history of their head coach- a guy who's arguable strength is in getting the team up emotionally for games on many occasions- proves Sunday to be a week Cowher accomplished exactly that, the Pat's will get their butts handed to them.

In the interest of your propostion though, I'd take a "bet" on it if we allowed a measure, such as a fan who watches the Steelers most Sundays, to judge whether the Steelers had their adrenaline in order as I've suggested or whether they come out like they're visiting their mother-in-law for New Year's Eve- like they did last week.

213127[/snapback]

:D

Hey, let's make a wager.  AKC, if you're incorrect about the Steelers "kicking the snot out of" the Patriots, you leave TSW. And if the Steelers win, you leave TSW.

:D  :P  :P

213154[/snapback]

I've got a better option- regardless of the outcome of the games Sunday you are forced to post an original thought about the game of football on TSW for the first time in history............................................................................................................................................ We'll miss you!

I'm no Cowher fan but there's some serious precedent for a Steeler's win this weekend based upon Cowher's teams of the past. While Bill Belichick is the analytical coach who trains his fighters to play smart and play together- buying their mental emotion in the vast majority of circumstances, Cowher is a guy who has many times bought his fighter's adrenaline with toughness instead of smarts. As sporting as it is to watch the smart fighter beat the tough guy in many circumstances, this time we have a coach who lives on predicting the other team's tendencies and confusing the opposition. It's proven effective in the immediate past. On Sunday the outcome will come down to this:

If Bill Cowher found himself in a physical confrontation with the analytical Bill Belichick the fighting would end with Belichick on the floor with his hands covering his face screaming STOP! STOP! SOMEONE STOP HIM!

Cowher would knock the stuffing out of Belichick mainly because his fight would be from a deeper emotion, a more basic instinct than logic, one fed by adrenalin and coaxed on by a hunger that logic is unable to compete with.

Cowher's trick Sunday will be exploiting the same thing- to bring out the animal element of his players to consume the logical coach, logical QB and logical defensive strategy the Pats will no doubt unveil as the game unfolds. Twice this season the logical QB of the Pats faced pressure, and twice this season that same logical QB folded like a Galloping Gourmet episode filmed at a girl's school.

Over the course of the Cowher career he's displayed plenty of reasons to assume he'll fall to a far more intellectual strategy. There's plenty of reason to believe the same will happen Sunday, hence the Vegas line on the game. But the one element the Vegas line can miss, a line established by cold logic and analysis, is the same element of emotion that Cowher has successfully called out at times in the past.

It won't take long to determine whether there'll be a game Sunday in Pitt- Belichick will no doubt have his troops arrive with the emotion of logic ready to win a road game- the key is the Steelers. Do they show up with the look of a guy whose wife just told him about an affair and he's got an address he wants to visit or do they come out flat like they did against the Jets?

I'd be less inclined to buy the logical Vegas line since the Jet's game appeared to be a "looked past" Sunday. The Steeler tone will be obvious early- they come out to play or they simply don't have it. It's tough to bet that their coach can't find another week of emotion out of a talented group who must realize just how emotionless they played last week.

You got it nailed. Pats will lose. They have NO advantages in this game, except for the nebulous "well they've found a way to win in the past." There's no homefield, no weather, no "we're being disrespected," no talent, and most importantly no mind trick advantages. Simply put, Cowher is too dumb and too much of a brute to KNOW he shouldn't be able to beat Belichick. The last matchup on Halloween was a classic example of brawns over brains, and nothing will change, except Seymour won't be in the lineup. And again WRT the Pats' offense and how Dillon and Branch will be playing this time, the Pats scored a whole 6 points against the lousy Colts' defense in the 1st half last weekend, until exploding in the 2nd because, well, the Colts have a lousy defense.

Pat's will defeat the Steelers in a close, low scoring battle. The Falcons will win against the Eagles. Belicheck will then shut down the running game of the one dimensional Vick. Forcing him to stay in the pocket and try to beat the Pats through the air. That wont happen. The Pats D is too good and Vick is not good enough. Once he has to throw he is helpless. He will be puzzled and start to make mistakes. Pats will turn it into a rout. Pats 43-16 victors in the SB. Hate the Pats but thats the way its going down boys. Girls

You got it nailed.  Pats will lose.  They have NO advantages in this game, except for the nebulous "well they've found a way to win in the past."  There's no homefield, no weather, no "we're being disrespected," no talent, and most importantly no mind trick advantages.  Simply put, Cowher is too dumb and too much of a brute to KNOW he shouldn't be able to beat Belichick.  The last matchup on Halloween was a classic example of brawns over brains, and nothing will change, except Seymour won't be in the lineup.  And again WRT the Pats' offense and how Dillon and Branch will be playing this time, the Pats scored a whole 6 points against the lousy Colts' defense in the 1st half last weekend, until exploding in the 2nd because, well, the Colts have a lousy defense.

213187[/snapback]

Sounds like your saying the Pats have done it all on karma the last 4 years or so. Give it up and accept it. They are damn good and so are the Colts. NE just punished the Colts and wore them down. Especially with the ground game in the second half. I know as a Bills fan its hard to give any other team in the AFC east any due but I think its time now. Put away the Bills blue colored glasses and free yourself of the myopic haze. Sorry to admit it but the Pats rule right now.

You pretty much took a shot in the dark.

To think you would base your analysis on a hypothetical physical confrontation between the two head coaches is laughable.

You go onto say that there is a precedent for a Steeler win this week. What precedent? If you want to talk about precedent, let's talk about the last time the Pats played the Steelers IN PITTSBURGH for the Championship Game. Does 2002 ring a bell? We all know what happened there.

It's amazing what a homer you are -- so much so that you belittle every Pats accomplishment at every opportunity. AKC even predicted their demise prior to the Colts game. So much for that.

Irrespective of what happens, the Pats are better than the Bills.

I hate to say it as much as you do, pal.

213087[/snapback]

It's amazing what a homer you are -- so much so that you belittle every Pats accomplishment at every opportunity.  AKC even predicted their demise prior to the Colts game.  So much for that.

213230[/snapback]

Funny how you can lose perspective to such a degree that you lose any ability to accurately recollect that which you suggest you have reviewed.

Big Ben will struggle again, just like he did against the Jets. If Belichick can find a way to shut down Manning, he'll eat a Roethlisberger for lunch. I don't see the Steelers having any shot in this game. They've run their course for this year.

Given that Pittsburgh has beaten the Pats once already this season. They can do it again. Having said that, Bellichek will the tape and have a counter measure for the recipe. Cowher will have to have a few new wrinkles to beat the Pats.

Maybe why they played flat against the Jets was that they were really getting ready for the Pats.

..'You may be right'..

..'I may be crazy'.. BJ

Cowher probably would kick BB's arse in a fight, and the Stillers may be more physical Sunday,

But betting against the Champs (I hate sayin' that) with defense of their title on the line, isn't sagacious..

Somehow, someway, the Pats pull a 'W'

just how exactly did pissburgh come out "flat" last week? they led 10-0 after the first quarter and dominated play. if that's flat i'll take a flat showing by the bills every week.

"say it don't spray it" cowher's sphincter will be so tight this week (read: fearing yet another home championship game loss) he'll make marty schottenheimer look like don coryell.

Sounds like your saying the Pats have done it all on karma the last 4 years or so. Give it up and accept it. They are damn good and so are the Colts. NE just punished the Colts and wore them down. Especially with the ground game in the second half. I know as a Bills fan its hard to give any other team in the AFC east any due but I think its time now.  Put away the Bills blue colored glasses and free yourself of the myopic haze.  Sorry to admit it but the Pats rule right now.

I've given the Pats their props for their regular season prowess. It's their habit of being helped in the post-season that I can't stand. A ridiculous "tuck" call and they don't make the AFCCG in 2001. The refs calling even just 1/3 of those 15 missed holding calls against the Colts last year and they don't make the SB. For perspective, I hate the Red Sox as well, but I can at least give them their props for what they did last season, because there was no officiating controversy. So yes I think that they've done it on "karma" and that thinking they'll continue to do it on "karma" is more ridiculous than looking at what the Steelers did back on Halloween, seeing how the Pats have lost some players since then, and seeing what the Steelers did to the Bills in a meaningless game (for them) to end the season. Now had the Steelers lost back on Halloween, or if the game were being played in NE, I wouldn't be talking the way I am. But that isn't the case.

I thought that I would never see a more ridiculous argument than the Dean's the Panthers will beat the Patriots in the Super Bowl because they play smash mouth football...until today.

The problem with alot of people on this board, is that you guys hate the Patriots so much that you cannot be objective and give the Patriots their due. So whoever plays the Patriots will be the subject of a post explaining how they will beat NE even to the extent of basing their arugment on a Hypothetical fight between Belicheck and Cowher.

Lets compare Belicheck and Cowher's records in the playoffs...Cowher made it to the Super Bowl once and blew a win when O'Donnell threw two interceptions. And that was his peak of his sucess in the playoffs.

Only Shottenheimer and Green have worst playoff records, that is the tale of the tape.