How many of our needs will be addressed in FA?

Kellyto83TD

Legursky was signed to be primary depth? We know this how? He was getting first team reps in camp and Marrone was clearly not happy with Brown as their starting LG. This is more throwing something against the wall and hoping it sticks.

Brown opened camp as the first-team LG; the rotation that took place prior to that included everyone from Brown to Legursky, Thomas Welch, Chris Scott, David Snow, & Sam Young.

Make no mistake, the plan to replace Levitre was to let guys like Brown, Snow, and Young--each of whom had played in games for the Bills prior to 2013--fight it out for the job.

Can you argue that Legursky was signed as a stop-gap once they saw that they didn't like what they had? I suppose...that, however, is NOT what I meant by signing a stop-gap guy. Legursky was a depth signing long after the team had made their primary FA moves. I'm talking about signing a veteran starter (Legursky was not a starter) to stop-gap the position for a year (or even two) while a 3rd/4th round pick grows into the role.

Last year several veteran FA CB's were on the market. Buffalo elected not to sign any, further exacerbating the issue. I fully recognize they could not have anticipated this injury bug, but considering they were going into the season with McKelvin, Gilmore, and Robey as their top 3, shouldn't they have planned ahead a little?

That wasn't their top 3 heading into the season...their top 2 were McKelvin and Gilmore. The slot position and top boundary backup spot were up for competition between Robey, Rodgers, Brooks, & Crezdon Butler.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pears will be released given his salary if he's not starting......

I quite agree. According to this..... http://www.overthecap.com/top-player-salaries.php?Position=RT .....Pears is currently the 13th highest paid RT in the league. I think it very likely that he will be cut if he can't maintain his starting position. ($3.45m cap hit with $2.9m saving if cut).

......It's the Bills' method of operation over the years.

I really don't understand why you would add this part though. Irrelevant to what one thinks the Bills' method of operation has been(or is now)......it seems that Pears' getting cut if not the starter would make basic sense for any team with any method of operation.

I see the following starting positions addressed in Free Agency:

OLG, possibly a Beadles from Denver to put a solid veteran in the line and then draft someone such as Richardson to take the RT position and let Pears loose to free up some cash to get Beadles. Could also see an additional depth signing here, possibly a Schwartz from KC.

TE, possibly a Pettigrew, who could be a potential 3 down TE that this team needs. He might not stretch the field as a Graham or Gronkowski, but he could also save a roster spot by needing only 2 TE's and a FB that could play a H-Back role if needed.

ILB, possibly a vet like Jon Beason or even a Dan Connor who has been injury prone but might fit into this D. I see ILB taken in the 2nd and 6th rounds though.

WR, probably not addressed immediately in FA but the need for a receiver like Cotchery might take a week but could happen as a huge pickup(based on a redzone need) after the initial flurry of players moving. I don't see Watkins getting drafted by the Bills since they already have (2) identical players like him in Graham and Goodwin. Evans is a nice player but the Bills will be looking for a solid starter at 9 and if the 2nd best OT in the country is there, he will be taken, IMO.

RB, I doubt we will see any movement here other than a late draft pick of UDFA but there are a lot of FA RB's available that might jump at a 3rd string, possible starter position down the road with Fred aging and Spiller possibly not being an every down back. Teams aren't signing FA RB's as much anymore so there are potential guys like Starks or even a Gerhart that might move with the idea of having a prominent role as the year progresses and even more the next year.

I see the Bills going a little heavier in FA this year, just not making a huge splash other than at possibly TE or OG.

I don't see Watkins getting drafted by the Bills since they already have (2) identical players like him in Graham and Goodwin.

Watkins won't be drafted by the Bills unless they trade up. But I can assure you Watkins is not an identical player to graham and goodwin. Ever seen him play? Beast.

I was slogging through every post in this thread. And I realized something.

Almost every Bills post on this website, for the last several years, is really, when you boil it down, a REBUILDING post.

How do we rebuild? How do we get "better?" Who do we fire/hire? How do we make the playoffs finally.

-------

Instead, lets start talking about "How do we win the superbowl this year?"

What will put us over the top?

Stop plugging leaks and rearranging deck chairs.

We need, in order:

QB.

That is all.

The most critical need to be addressed in FA is free safety. Either sign Byrd or replace him.

Is that because its right infront of you? So signing Byrd = superbowl?

Point being, this team has a lot of needs. Fans tend to fixate on the big story, but a FS isn't going to make or break us.

Build through the draft is great I am all on board but we need a true #1 WR that teams respect and somewhat fear (sorry Stevie homers he is nothing more than a #2 and so is Woods), and we need a true threat at TE.

Defense is starting to come on,Offense has glaring needs at #1 WR, TE, OG and Depth. Oh and good Backup QB would be nice

I'd love to see goodwin form into a #1 in the Steve smith mold. I think he has the talent, but I don't know if he has the tenacity that Steve does to play that role.

Almost every Bills post on this website, for the last several years, is really, when you boil it down, a REBUILDING post.

How do we rebuild? How do we get "better?" Who do we fire/hire? How do we make the playoffs finally.

-------

We need, in order:

QB.

That is all.

So, you wanted the Bills to take EJ Manuel in the 1st round last year...and you still want them to draft a QB?

Makes sense. lol.

(They need a few more pieces to get to a Super Bowl, other than a QB...surround EJ with weapons/o-line, stop the run...and they'll be fine.)

yes, i wanted EJ.

Not because I wanted EJ. But because I wanted a QB.

So far, it doesnt look like we have one. So yes, I'm for drafting one in the first round. I realize that's not going to happen.

But the tone of this board should be winning the superbowl this year. The tone of this organization should be winning the superbowl this year.

I'm tired of wrangling over what will move us from 7-9 to 9-7.

I really don't understand why you would add this part though. Irrelevant to what one thinks the Bills' method of operation has been(or is now)......it seems that Pears' getting cut if not the starter would make basic sense for any team with any method of operation.

I don't know, Dibs. I seem to recall cases where veteran players restructured contracts. And, while it's a given that veterans lose jobs every single year, there are some veterans that were one-time starters that do stick around as insurance on some rosters.

The original assertion that Pears could just be made the backup swing tackle to make room for a FA RT seems sketchy, not just from the contract sense, but from a football sense.

I don't know, Dibs. I seem to recall cases where veteran players restructured contracts. And, while it's a given that veterans lose jobs every single year, there are some veterans that were one-time starters that do stick around as insurance on some rosters.

The original assertion that Pears could just be made the backup swing tackle to make room for a FA RT seems sketchy, not just from the contract sense, but from a football sense.

Since I made the original comment, I'll explain my thought process...

Bring in a starting caliber RT & let Pears view it as competition. Loser becomes the swing OT.

I see no reason that a team couldn't do this...in fact I believe San Diego did it with King Dunlap and Jeromy Clary.

I'm sure you are right and it happens quite a bit. Hard to say how often as middling player contract renegotiations tend to go unnoticed around the league(at least by me).

I was under the assumption that Pears couldn't play the LT position.....or at least play above a poor level(I'll leave that to the OL experts to determine). If he indeed can't play the swing position, he would need to take a very hefty pay cut to be of value as a backup RT. If cut, the savings would likely cover the cost of the new FA RT.

I'm sure you are right and it happens quite a bit. Hard to say how often as middling player contract renegotiations tend to go unnoticed around the league(at least by me).

I was under the assumption that Pears couldn't play the LT position.....or at least play above a poor level(I'll leave that to the OL experts to determine). If he indeed can't play the swing position, he would need to take a very hefty pay cut to be of value as a backup RT. If cut, the savings would likely cover the cost of the new FA RT.

I agree with you. Pears is not a swing tackle.

Address all position in FA that are a glaring weakness. Then build depth through the draft. The draft should be where you build depth at key positions., not search for starters. If those starters break through, than that's awesome, you did a great job scouting. But I say go get a WR, TE, QB, G, LB, CB in Free Agency. Bring in some players who have been on Playoff Teams to help bring about a change in attitude in the locker room.

We need a culture change. FA's who have been on winning teams and were leaders are a great way to bring about an attitude change on this team.

I see what you are saying. After a decade of "building through the draft" we are still "building". If a team wants to "win this year" and not someday in the future by "building a dynasty" through a draft, then your method makes sense. Teams that are a player or two away from completing a dynasty can afford to build that dynasty through the draft. But the Bills are, and have been for a long time far, far away from even starting such a dynasty. I am frustrated at never even having a team to root for that is actually just seriously competitive in over a decade. I want a competitive team NOW! No more 3 year plans that never are successful, and end with yet another new 3 year plan , onward into infinity.

You are right, except for maybe in the first two rounds, it is unrealistic to expect your drafted player to be be a true impact player on day one. It takes even a normal talented player time to grow into their postion in an NFL where everyone already there is bigger, better trained, more experienced. and faster than the players they faced in college football. Kiko was an exception for us last year, and even he hit the wall somewhat later in the season. I hope he continues his development next year, we all have such high hopes for him.

I would expect we could get starters in FA that are better than our current starter in many positions we are weak in. But I would not want to go crazy trying to bring in superstars at huge dollars who we would build a dynasty around. They would simply be short term hired guns. Older veterans with something still left in their tanks for a year or two to let us be seriously competitive now, while giving us the time and luxury to draft those rookie pieces of a future dynasty, letting them grow into their positions and replace those veteran hired guns.

Being seriously competitive now with the addition of the vet hired guns, while their drafted rookie replacements develop and learn from the vets they will ultimately replace. If that is what you are basically saying, I am all in!

Edited by simpleman

-------

We need, in order:

QB.

That is all.

+ 1

Bingo.

Yes.

But, that's not how the Bills operate. They will not do what is required to win. Hence, the cycle of losing. IMO

yes, i wanted EJ.

Not because I wanted EJ. But because I wanted a QB.

So far, it doesnt look like we have one. So yes, I'm for drafting one in the first round. I realize that's not going to happen.

But the tone of this board should be winning the superbowl this year. The tone of this organization should be winning the superbowl this year.

I'm tired of wrangling over what will move us from 7-9 to 9-7.

Again, BINGO.

I easily prefer EJ to any QB that's going to be on the board when the Billls pick.

And I don't like any QB enough to trade up.

So if they're going to take a QB, I'd vastly prefer that they take a flier on Mettenberger in the 4th or a guy like Jeff Matthews in the 6th

I easily prefer EJ to any QB that's going to be on the board when the Billls pick.

And I don't like any QB enough to trade up.

So if they're going to take a QB, I'd vastly prefer that they take a flier on Mettenberger in the 4th or a guy like Jeff Matthews in the 6th

The Bills are going nowhere with the QBs currently on roster and need to take someone, IMO.

It's just that simple.

E.J. has shown me nothing. :(

We need a QB who burns with fire to be the greatest QB of all time. (we used to have one).

Whether he makes it or not doesnt matter.

Honestly, I'd say Tuel is closer to that than EJ on our roster, and Thad Lewis is the closest of the bunch . Sigh.

So draft another one. This shtt is not funny. We need to win now.

Edited by maddenboy