Lake Michigan Ice Balls

Seem like when the Daily Mail (in the UK)sees something that happens every year, they lame it on the "polar vortex". From he comments after the article, these form every winter. They also stated last week that Niagara falls "froze solid".

Seem like when the Daily Mail (in the UK)sees something that happens every year, they lame it on the "polar vortex". From he comments after the article, these form every winter. They also stated last week that Niagara falls "froze solid".

Yeah... It is pretty funny how they link it w/the polar vortex, there is some truth to it of course. It is a hard winter and there may be a ton more of them. Of course, the sub-zero weather really gets things to freeze fast. We are in pretty bad shape this year on the river, in 20+ years, never seen it this bad... So early. Even when boats go by, I can probably still walk across the channel. We are gonna be in trouble if we don't get a thaw. Gonna start losing gates, they are already lacking 6 to 8 feet. All the weight of the ice is another story, they can structurally fail! It is the weather pattern. Again, they may be seen in other years... But pretty abundant this year, so they make the big news.

Even in the 1970's... Water was so polluted and hot from industry, it didn't freeze. I guess it is a good thing now.

LOL, they look like timbits

I was thinking that too... That or "Munchkins." LoL...

Edited by ExiledInIllinois