Manuel appears on WKBW

Beerball

:lol:

Saw this article right after FSU won the NC game and thought it was cool ... not many realize how much EJ had to do with Jameis's success this year. They just slam him for not winning the NC last year with the "same team" (not true, but people like to say it).

http://www.nhregiste...p-along-the-way

Nice. It was a good article to read.

And now to get into the muck...

I remember before last year's draft, the biggest comparison of EJ to anyone in the 2012 draft was Ryan Tannehill: big, good arm, and needing polish.

I know that trying to liken anything the Bills do to the Dolphins is heresy, but bear with me for a moment. The first year, Tannehill had a number of streaks, for good or ill. He would be great for a few games, and then be awful for a stretch. Sounds like anyone we know?

This year the Dolphins went out and got targets for their young quarterback and with them, Tannehill improved quite a bit. They went 3-0 to start, and even with the Martin/Incognito debacle that left their O-line in shambles they still managed to beat the Patriots and were playoff contenders. I know that we can't simply assume the same thing, and I'm not here promising that EJ will become a franchise great but I'm excited to see what he can do with a full, healthy offseason to work on the timing with Stevie, Woods and Goodwin (and hopefully a great, dynamic TE).

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Irrelevant.

To the contrary. Reading analysis from someone who thought Fitz was the answer to any question besides, "you want to guarantee going no better than 6-12, who do you take as your QB?" provides an exemplar of your QB knowledge. So pardon me if I think any analysis you give on EJ (or any other QB) is basically a load of crap.

:lol:

Saw this article right after FSU won the NC game and thought it was cool ... not many realize how much EJ had to do with Jameis's success this year. They just slam him for not winning the NC last year with the "same team" (not true, but people like to say it).

http://www.nhregister.com/sports/20140111/jameis-winston-credits-ej-manuel-for-help-along-the-way

Don't you ever post anything positive about Manuel again! He is a horrible QB and a bad person. I heard that he once lied to his mother! The Bills should draft QBs in the first round until they get it right!

To the contrary. Reading analysis from someone who thought Fitz was the answer to any question besides, "you want to guarantee going no better than 6-12, who do you take as your QB?" provides an exemplar of your QB knowledge. So pardon me if I think any analysis you give on EJ (or any other QB) is basically a load of crap.

6-12?

You asked me if I was a "Fitz guy." I didn't think he'd take us to the Superbowl and I never said he would. I liked him as a Bill and I wanted him to do well, even though he couldn't. Did you hope he would suck? If not, I guess you were a Fitz guy too. I don't know what you're going on about here. There are many more indictments to my validity than liking Fitz.

Edited by FireChan

6-12?

You asked me if I was a "Fitz guy." I didn't think he'd take us to the Superbowl and I never said he would. I liked him as a Bill and I wanted him to do well, even though he couldn't. Did you hope he would suck? If not, I guess you were a Fitz guy too. I don't know what you're going on about here. There are many more indictments to my validity than liking Fitz.

I agree with your last sentence. I wanted Fitz to succeed, but argued for two years he would not. You and others countered my arguments on a number of occasions. I don't know EJ will be a good QB yet, but I am willing to give a rookie first rounder at least another year. With Fitz, his career body of work spoke for itself even before he put on a Bills' uniform.

What I've been trying to say.

Just look at the fade patterns he throws near the goal line. He sailed them numerous times. His Hail Marys in the jets games. His debacle against Tampa. It's not that he. Doesn't have receivers open. It's that he doesn't recognize it and have the ability to get it there. If people would just stop being stat nerds and actually watch the game they would see he lacks majorly in areas NFL quarterbacks have to be strong. Better completion percentage than Peyton. Lol

I love when people make this argument. How often do you think other QB's make these "throw the reciever open" throws? I would wager it's somewhere between 5-10% for the average QB, maybe a little higher for elite guys. What is the point of the QB position and why do you think QB's make checks at the line? They're supposed to find the open reciever and they make checks to exploit the defense and get recievers OPEN. Are you watching the AFC championship game? Payton's checked down half the time, thrown to OPEN recievers running crossing routes, and thrown it down field maybe 5 times. Even those down the field throws are slants, which EJ has shown he can throw.

Yeah, EJ has work to do and definitely left some throws on the field. Pretending other QB's throw these "NFL" passes even a 3rd of the time is ridiculous. EJ showed game 1 that he has the capability. His throw the Chandler with a LB coming right at him before Chandler made his cut and the perfect TD throw to Stevie are just 2 examples. He made more, and I'll gladly give more if you give me one example of a throw Payton made his rookie year.

Regarding his footwork, it's fine when he has time in the pocket. When he feels pressure, it breaks down and it gets sloppy. That's something he needs to improve on.

I love when people make this argument. How often do you think other QB's make these "throw the reciever open" throws? I would wager it's somewhere between 5-10% for the average QB, maybe a little higher for elite guys. What is the point of the QB position and why do you think QB's make checks at the line? They're supposed to find the open reciever and they make checks to exploit the defense and get recievers OPEN. Are you watching the AFC championship game? Payton's checked down half the time, thrown to OPEN recievers running crossing routes, and thrown it down field maybe 5 times. Even those down the field throws are slants, which EJ has shown he can throw.

Yeah, EJ has work to do and definitely left some throws on the field. Pretending other QB's throw these "NFL" passes even a 3rd of the time is ridiculous. EJ showed game 1 that he has the capability. His throw the Chandler with a LB coming right at him before Chandler made his cut and the perfect TD throw to Stevie are just 2 examples. He made more, and I'll gladly give more if you give me one example of a throw Payton made his rookie year.

Regarding his footwork, it's fine when he has time in the pocket. When he feels pressure, it breaks down and it gets sloppy. That's something he needs to improve on.

Excellent post. Nice to read one by someone who actually watches and observes the game vs. tossing out talking head platitudes.

GO BILLS!!!

In all of the CGs, I saw the QB's making some throws where the receiver had to make a great adjustment/catch to get the ball. I would assume that's "throwing the receiver open." My question is, do the Bills have receivers like this?

In all of the CGs, I saw the QB's making some throws where the receiver had to make a great adjustment/catch to get the ball. I would assume that's "throwing the receiver open." My question is, do the Bills have receivers like this?

That's a good point. I'm not sure EJ trusts his receivers or reads enough yet to make some of those throws. Boldin is a stud at those type of catches, someone like that would be a nice addition to the WR group. I think Woods and Stevie have the skills to make those catches, it's a matter of EJ building enough confidence to make those throws and trust his guys will come down with it.

There were times I'd wished EJ would just pull the trigger on more down field throws and hope he will learn to do so. The great QB's take what the defense gives them and takes calculated risks down the field. I hope that's something EJ will learn to do and I don't see why he can't.