Would the Bills trade up to get Watkins?

Simulated this for you. It works except for the moving back up part.

1 9 Buffalo Sammy Watkins WRF Clemson

2 41 Buffalo Eric Ebron TE North Carolina

3 73 Buffalo Anthony Steen OG A.J. McCarron QB or Seantrel Henderson ROT Miami

4 105 Buffalo Lache Seastrunk RBF Baylor or Jimmy Garoppolo QB Eastern Illinois

5 137 Buffalo Zach Mettenberger QB LSU or Karlos Williams RBF Florida State

That would be an amazing draft IMO.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, you'd have to make choices in RD 3, 4, and 5. My choice would be to take Steen at OG (our greatest liability on the line), Garoppolo (I like his moxie as much as anyone), then Karlos Williams. After tonight, I fear that he won't last as long. Tremendous explosion.

Actually, you'd have to make choices in RD 3, 4, and 5. My choice would be to take Steen at OG (our greatest liability on the line), Garoppolo (I like his moxie as much as anyone), then Karlos Williams. After tonight, I fear that he won't last as long. Tremendous explosion.

I know. I was thinking Steen, Seastrunk and Mettenberger.

There is no chance Ebron is available at 41. Zero. When are these rankings from?

I think that it was relatively recently. I remember Astro asking for position rankings not that long ago.

I don't think that it is likely but certainly possible. That's what happened with Glenn a couple of years ago. If Amaro and/or ASJ go before him. It's possible that 3 TEs are not yet gone in the first 40 picks.

A boy can dream . . .

If they want Watkins I don't think they'll have to move past 9...however, based upon Marrone's statements recently, the BILLS may feel they have their big WR for the outside on their current roster. Not saying I agree, just that Marrone and Whaley may not believe a big WR is in the draft plans...

I think that it was relatively recently. I remember Astro asking for position rankings not that long ago.

I don't think that it is likely but certainly possible. That's what happened with Glenn a couple of years ago. If Amaro and/or ASJ go before him. It's possible that 3 TEs are not yet gone in the first 40 picks.

Cordy Glenn was touted as a mid-to-late first rounder, not as a potential top ten pick. Things can, of course, change over the course of the draft process, but I don't see Ebron dropping out of the first round.

Just say NO to TE in the 1st round....historically speaking, analysis of the TE position shows it is a total WASTE of a 1st round pick for a TE...your much better TEs, therefore statistical advantage, come in the 3rd to 4th round.

Exactly...I think this Draft is set up pretty well for the Bills needs... B-)

I agree. I would take Watkins if available, I think he's the next AJ Green. However, if he is gone Mosley (LB-Alabama) should be available, or Mack from UB. Mosley in particular can cover TE's, something a NFL team really needs these days, and can also play all three LB positions, which will allow Pettine to be even more creative.

Yes. I would love this draft.

Cordy Glenn was touted as a mid-to-late first rounder, not as a potential top ten pick. Things can, of course, change over the course of the draft process, but I don't see Ebron dropping out of the first round.

I don't think that he will either but he looks like a mid first rounder now. It feels similar to Glenn IMO

I agree. I would take Watkins if available, I think he's the next AJ Green. However, if he is gone Mosley (LB-Alabama) should be available, or Mack from UB. Mosley in particular can cover TE's, something a NFL team really needs these days, and can also play all three LB positions, which will allow Pettine to be even more creative.

Yes. I would love this draft.

Watkins is 6'1. How do you compare him to A.J. Green?

Watkins reminds me of Percy Harvin, but taller. He has excellent ball skills, speed, and Y.A.C. ability. He won't be able to get all of the jump balls that Green/Calvin Johnson can snag.

Another poster turned me on to this prospect - Jordan Matthews out of Vanderbilt 6'3", has a large catching radius and he catches with his hands or one of them at times. Was productive against decent SEC competition and came on in big games. Not sure if elite qualifies, but he sure was productive.

This draft is pretty deep in areas that the Bills will likely address. I do think that it would be best for the Bills to move on from Graham and Johnson - Graham has speed, but lacks the hands needed to be a real threat (Goodwin is similar in abilities and has hands - just needs to prove he is not injury-prone). I do not see Stevie handling his move from #1 WR to the slot well and although he is just about the best there is at avoiding the jam and getting off the line, I don't see him being able to physically handle the punishments that come with working the short middle of the field. He is not as elusive open-field as say a Welker who excelled at avoiding the big hit. He may need to move on to try to bounce back and leave those game-killing drops and memories behind him.

A true play maker at WR with decent size, and a TE that can stretch the field are both there for the taking this year.

Another poster turned me on to this prospect - Jordan Matthews out of Vanderbilt 6'3", has a large catching radius and he catches with his hands or one of them at times. Was productive against decent SEC competition and came on in big games. Not sure if elite qualifies, but he sure was productive.

This draft is pretty deep in areas that the Bills will likely address. I do think that it would be best for the Bills to move on from Graham and Johnson - Graham has speed, but lacks the hands needed to be a real threat (Goodwin is similar in abilities and has hands - just needs to prove he is not injury-prone). I do not see Stevie handling his move from #1 WR to the slot well and although he is just about the best there is at avoiding the jam and getting off the line, I don't see him being able to physically handle the punishments that come with working the short middle of the field. He is not as elusive open-field as say a Welker who excelled at avoiding the big hit. He may need to move on to try to bounce back and leave those game-killing drops and memories behind him.

A true play maker at WR with decent size, and a TE that can stretch the field are both there for the taking this year.

I like Matthews also. My nephew recently graduated from Vanderbilt, watched the what ever that bowl game was with my nephew and brother, both of them have seen most of Vanderbilt's games the last few years. Pointed out how good Matthews numbers were, considering he did not have great QB play.

Watkins is 6'1. How do you compare him to A.J. Green?

Watkins reminds me of Percy Harvin, but taller. He has excellent ball skills, speed, and Y.A.C. ability. He won't be able to get all of the jump balls that Green/Calvin Johnson can snag.

I could be mistaken but I don't remember Harvin attacking airborne footballs the way Watkins does.

Watkins plays with an aggressiveness that's reminiscent of a (smaller) Andre Johnson or a bigger Steve Smith.

There's a real anger and edge to his game.

I could be mistaken but I don't remember Harvin attacking airborne footballs the way Watkins does.

Watkins plays with an aggressiveness that's reminiscent of a (smaller) Andre Johnson or a bigger Steve Smith.

There's a real anger and edge to his game.

I agree with the "bigger Steve Smith" comparison, though, at least in recent memory with Case Keenum throwing him the ball, I don't quite see the same edge in Andre Johnson.

Marquise Lee, whom the Bills may consider at #9, if Watkins is gone, concerns me. He doesn't have the best ball skills and shies away from some hits. He reminds me of Stevie Johnson with, perhaps, slightly more upside.

I like Matthews also. My nephew recently graduated from Vanderbilt, watched the what ever that bowl game was with my nephew and brother, both of them have seen most of Vanderbilt's games the last few years. Pointed out how good Matthews numbers were, considering he did not have great QB play.

The thing that is not clear is does he have elite speed - he does not "seem" to be running that fast or have quickness, but his 6' 3" frame and stride may be deceptive. He does outrace defensive backs and they used him on some reverses and such. It will be interesting to see what his 40 time will be from the combine. If he lights it up, he will move up the food chain.