blizzard strikes the south

spidey

well not exactly but the forcast in Raleigh NC was for light flurries and we ended up getting a snow shower that left 1 - 2 inches. Local news calling it a snow storm when I lived in Rochester it was a daily event.

It just started snowing here and its already covering the roads. Oh boy, I think this city only has one snow plow.

211369[/snapback]

I don't discount the problem - pretty dumb to spend municipal bucks on a very occasional problem.

My older sister moved to Birmingham, AL several decades ago. They have trucks with sand that attack the odd ice patch. Anything more, and it's all over.

I don't discount the problem - pretty dumb to spend municipal bucks on a very occasional problem.

My older sister moved to Birmingham, AL several decades ago. They have trucks with sand that attack the odd ice patch.  Anything more, and it's all over.

211380[/snapback]

snow removal system in raleigh is the sun. problem is that we get about 6 inches a year and when we do its a mess. I see lots of plows around but they never set them down on ground always ride with them up in the air. Sometimes I want to stop the truck driver and suggest the plow works better when you actually let it touch the pavement

My older sister moved to Birmingham, AL several decades ago. They have trucks with sand that attack the odd ice patch.  Anything more, and it's all over.

211380[/snapback]

I agree with you don't get me wrong. But on those rare occasions when it does snow it is a brutal nighmare.

My thoughts exactly!  :P

211406[/snapback]

There was a big debate on the local Orlando radio the other day about what was South. The only thing that made somewhat sense was that the Confederate states are, by definition, Southern. Yeah, that means that Maryland is a Southern state???

Jeff

Winter Storm 2005!!!! Every news station fights to see if they can get it on the air first. Not to mention there will be no bread and milk in the stores.

211480[/snapback]

Yeah when I was leaving work to go to lunch folks were all worried that hadnt stopped to get milk and bread. Man cant wait till weekend. Roads are a mess so many people going home all at once.

Winter Storm 2005!!!! Every news station fights to see if they can get it on the air first. Not to mention there will be no bread and milk in the stores.

211480[/snapback]

I wonder why people run out and buy bread and milk. Soda pop and Little Debbie sugar bombs have replaced those as staples years ago. :P

Maryland was never a confederate state.  They were considered a border state,  meaning they allowed slavery at one point but never split from the union.  Same with Missouri and Kentucky.

211511[/snapback]

My bad, sorry about that. For some reason it stuck with me that it was a confederate state. Thanks for the correction.

Jeff

its snowing in norfolk/va beach. accidents all over the interstates. cancelations abound. everyone leaving work early and schools let out early

over a dusting ;)

watching southerners react to snow helps a pennsylvania yankee like me to understand why they lost the civil war :P

I can only imagine all the accidents. I spent six years in North Carolina, and on the few occasions it snowed, every driver native to the state would suddenly veer into a ditch. I swear, you could spill popcorn on the road, and people there would think it was snow and drive into a ditch.

its snowing in norfolk/va beach.  accidents all over the interstates.  cancelations abound.  everyone leaving work early and schools let out early

over a dusting  ;)

watching southerners react to snow helps a pennsylvania yankee like me to understand why they lost the civil war :P

211611[/snapback]

Actually, different set of circumstances occur in an area with the road surface and the underlying mass is above freezing, and there is a small snow deposition. The snow falls, and the wind makes a microscopic ice crust form - think of a sugar coating on a glazed doughnut, which captures the melted precipitation in an underlayer. Even though it is a very thin layer, it is very susceptible to shear and slippage, aided by the fact that the normal oil and grease and rubber dust that is more viscous when the tarmac itself is cold adds to the lubricity of the surface at those transitional temperatures.

Two inches of snow can be much more easy to negotiate than one inch.

Additionally, the crystalline form and water content of the snow varies - which is why cross-contry skiers use all those different colored waxes and even a product called klister, which is an extruded goo, to account for and gain traction or glide on different microscopic snow forms, temperature, wetness content and so forth.

Give the Southeners a bit of a break; the snow they face can be a difficult proposition.