blizzard strikes the south

spidey

I can only imagine all the accidents. I spent six years in North Carolina, and on the few occasions it snowed, every driver native to the state would suddenly veer into a ditch. I swear, you could spill popcorn on the road, and people there would think it was snow and drive into a ditch.

211624[/snapback]

Yeah, and they try to dodge rain drops.

Downtown Raleigh to Crabtree Mall (about 7 miles for all you non - Raleigh folks)--just took me 3 hours.  I am in a really special mood right now--time to have the kids brighten my day....

211741[/snapback]

man I heard it was real bad out 3 hours you could walk faster. Glad i went home at lunch time and just sat here and watched the traffic jam on the road near my house.

Richmond got about an inch. The roads were so fu(ked up, it took me two hours to drive home from work. The south in general is just not prepared to deal with snow. One side of the highway was salted, the other was packed snow. Guess which lane I was in? :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:

Actually, different set of circumstances occur in an area with the road surface and the underlying mass is above freezing, and there is a small snow deposition. The snow falls, and the wind makes a microscopic ice crust form - think of a sugar coating on a glazed doughnut, which captures the melted precipitation in an underlayer.  Even though it is a very thin layer, it is very susceptible to shear and slippage, aided by the fact that the normal oil and grease and rubber dust that is more viscous when the tarmac itself is cold adds to the lubricity of the surface at those transitional temperatures.

Two inches of snow can be much more easy to negotiate than one inch.

Additionally, the crystalline form and water content of the snow varies - which is why cross-contry skiers use all those different colored waxes and even a product called klister, which is an extruded goo, to account for and gain traction or glide on different microscopic snow forms, temperature, wetness content and so forth.

Give the Southeners a bit of a break; the snow they face can be a difficult proposition.

211644[/snapback]

Sounds convincing, and maybe there's some truth in it. But having lived in the South for several years, I know the biggest problem is the drivers not adapting themselves to the snow. The few who are brave enough to deal with the snow go too fast, take turns too quickly, and don't leave enough space between themselves and the vehicle in front. That, more than bad road conditions, is why they wind up in ditches.

man I heard it was real bad out 3 hours you could walk faster.  Glad i went home at lunch time and just sat here and watched the traffic jam on the road near my house.

211828[/snapback]

i work near RTP and went home (6 miles away) for lunch. took me 2.5 hours to get back to work.

i laugh at how the south handles winter weather as much as anyone, but the timing of this "storm" was perfect for causing chaos. the roads were incredibly slick -- and that comes from someone who grew up driving in the northeast. on the news last night they were "on location" at several schools where kids had to stay overnight b/c buses couldn't get there and parents were stuck in traffic.

unbelievable. i swear, there was an inch of snow at most. go figure.

How is the weather today? Has it 'blown over' and all is back to normal?

212037[/snapback]

most schools closed since so many kids slept in schools, lots of business delays and now they think we might get some more tonight as well but this time they are forecasting it yesterday was supposed to just be flurries

Sounds convincing, and maybe there's some truth in it. But having lived in the South for several years, I know the biggest problem is the drivers not adapting themselves to the snow. The few who are brave enough to deal with the snow go too fast, take turns too quickly, and don't leave enough space between themselves and the vehicle in front. That, more than bad road conditions, is why they wind up in ditches.

211980[/snapback]

Yes, driving method is the main problem. I think it's universal everywhere these days - when I travel back to Bflo for Christmas, that's pretty common behavior. And there is a *sector* of the population who consider inclement weather a boon, so they can drive faster and get around others who have the sense to drive with caution.

http://www.wsoctv.com/news/4110438/detail.html

This combined with the "storm" due this weekend have people seeing the sky falling here in Greensboro. I hope I don't need bread or milk for the next week because there won't be any down here.  :devil:

212246[/snapback]

I haven't figured that out yet. Why the HELL do people do that?

Give the Southeners a bit of a break; the snow they face can be a difficult proposition.

211644[/snapback]

i've thought about what you said, but decided not to give them a break.

this was not a quick decision either, i had alot of time to think about as my 25 minute drive home turned into over and hour and a half :devil::lol:

i've thought about what you said, but decided not to give them a break.

this was not a quick decision either, i had alot of time to think about as my 25 minute drive home turned into over and hour and a half :devil::lol:

212383[/snapback]

:lol:

No, I wouldn't be inclined towards charity, either...under the general principle that nothing is impossible for the man who doesn't have to do it.