Listening to games on the radio

bmur66

I listen to games while I am working in the garage. Usually after the Bills are eliminated from the playoffs and/or during blackouts. I absolutely can not stand listening to Mark Kelso. He over analyzes everything as to impress us with his football knowledge. If for example the runner jukes the db and get 5 more yards before running out of bounds then all I need is a description of events that helps me form a mental picture of what happened. I don't want to hear the theory of why he stepped to the right and shifted to the left by turning his shoulder then squaring off with the DB to carry the momentum of his fladerber on the backside after he split the seam and adjusted his angle of penetration up the shoot.

I like me some Murph. I used to particularly enjoy listening to him keep Van straight when he had his senior moments. Sometimes I think he wants to tell Kelso to shut up like I do. It's time to get someone else in the booth with him. What say ye?

Edited by bmur66

I listen to games while I am working in the garage. Usually after the Bills are eliminated from the playoffs and/or during blackouts. I absolutely can not stand listening to Mark Kelso. He over analyzes everything as to impress us with his football knowledge. If for example the runner jukes the db and get 5 more yards before running out of bounds then all I need is a description of events that helps me form a mental picture of what happened. I don't want to hear the theory of why he stepped to the right and shifted to the left by turning his shoulder then squaring off with the DB to carry the momentum of his fladerber on the backside after he split the seam and adjusted his angle of penetration up the shoot.

I like me some Murph. I used to particularly enjoy listening to him keep Van straight when he had his senior moments. Sometimes I think he wants to tell Kelso to shut up like I do. It's time to get someone else in the booth with him. What say ye?

I listen to pretty much every game on the radio (either through my Sirius or on my laptop) since getting TV time at home is a struggle. It has such an old school feel, reminding me of the days when every home game was blacked out (kids, ask your parents!).

That said, I like Kelso, but your comment made me laugh out loud in recognition. I also note that he is always talking about how this or that player "dips his shoulder" or "sticks his foot in the ground." Somebody needs to get him a revised edition Color Man Cliche Thesaurus for Christmas so he can add to his supply.

I also like Murph well enough, but I do get irritated with how he calls running plays. So often he spends a lot of time describing a play that goes nowhere, and will give cursory statements about plays that gain substantial yardage. I know it ain't easy to do what he does, though, and he at least does not do Van Miller's famous "caught… no dropped!" as often.

On another note, I see that the latest update to Safari is allowing me to quote and comment again. Huzzah!

I really dislike Joe Buscalia - what is this guys credentials for being an "expert" on the Bills? He isn't even a fan of the Bills. Also he talks up his fsu background but didn't even stay there and graduate.

I don't care for his commentary and how he's viewed as the resident expert

Murph is the "play by play" guy. Kelso is the "color analyst". He is doing his job EXACTLY as described by his title. Your complaint reminds me of a columnist for the NY Post that dismisses Gruden's analysis on MNF because he doesn't understand the "jargon" Gruden uses.. Ridiculous. The color guy is there for those of us who have taken the time to understand the game/ terminology and want some analysis to answer the "why?" not just the "how" (play by play.) Kelso performs this task very well.

I love Kelso. I've been watching football for many years (like many here) and I measure an analyst by if I learn something from his commentary. Kelso many be too wordy for some, but he is excellent for radio.

Murph is fantastic. You can never replace Van but Murph was been great. He also brought Van's gift of humor to the booth. I almost fell over yesterday when commenting on the crowd and the rain, Murph said: "This crowd is going to take a long time to dry out....in every sense of the word." LOL!!!!

I agree about Joe B. He adds little.

Edited by gomper

Murph is the "play by play" guy. Kelso is the "color analyst". He is doing his job EXACTLY as described by his title. Your complaint reminds me of a columnist for the NY Post that dismisses Gruden's analysis on MNF because he doesn't understand the "jargon" Gruden uses.. Ridiculous. The color guy is there for those of us who have taken the time to understand the game/ terminology and want some analysis to answer the "why?" not just the "how" (play by play.) Kelso performs this task very well.

Sure he does. In a Joe Theismann kind of way.