SB*NATION..Robert Woods

Kemp2Warlick

According to this, Kiko is falling off the radar for ROY.

Dark skies are forming...

Doesn't really make a difference to me whether he wins the award or not, but it is kinda funny if you imagine Kiko playing for the Jets and Richardson playing for the Bills and both had the same season they just had. Who'd be taking home that award?

According to this, Kiko is falling off the radar for ROY.

Dark skies are forming...

I think either he or Richardson are deserving but IMO Kiko should win because MLB is a harder position to come into as a rookie (calling the defense) and he has played the most snaps in the league thus far, if I recall correctly. Just overall more impressive debut.

I think either he or Richardson are deserving but IMO Kiko should win because MLB is a harder position to come into as a rookie (calling the defense) and he has played the most snaps in the league thus far, if I recall correctly. Just overall more impressive debut.

I agree, but I'm biased. Interesting thought by Sage. He'd probably be lost in the forest with our DL -people would surmise its because of Mario & Co. that he played so well. IF Kiko can somehow snag a couple more picks - a noteworthy achievement for LBs, then I think he'd win it.

I agree, but I'm biased. Interesting thought by Sage. He'd probably be lost in the forest with our DL -people would surmise its because of Mario & Co. that he played so well. IF Kiko can somehow snag a couple more picks - a noteworthy achievement for LBs, then I think he'd win it.

You never know but he hasn't had a INT since Sept... but INTs are like icing for a MLB, not really expected.

You never know but he hasn't had a INT since Sept... but INTs are like icing for a MLB, not really expected.

Part of that--something I've noticed on the all-22--is that opposing team's QBs picked up on the way that Pettine was using Kiko to bait them into throwing to what looks like an open pocket of the field. Kiko had at least 2 INTs (one vs Carolins an one vs NYJ) jumping into the open gap; teams have stopped throwing into it.

For me, being able to take away a passing option without even covering him says just as much about what Kiko does for this team as any statistic.

Edited by thebandit27

Part of that--something I've noticed on the all-22--is that opposing team's QBs picked up on the way that Pettine was using Kiko to bait them into throwing to what looks like an open pocket of the field. Kiko had at least 2 INTs (one vs Carolins an one vs NYJ) jumping into the open gap; teams have stopped throwing into it.

For me, being able to take away a passing option without even covering him says just as much about what Kiko does for this team as any statistic.

Nice observation!

Yep and reportedly Alonso is a film junkie, so he WILL bait the QB if given the chance. That, my friends, is a game changer as he is forcing OCs to game plan around him.

I would contend that KA was not "baiting" opponents, though it may appear so. Those were really a product of film study, recognition, and instinct. The plays in question are a combination route by WR's that have been around for 20+years. When the outside WR runs a slant, the inside WR follows. KA recognized this and just stayed in his area, then made the pick. Good recognition/ film study to anticipate the route, and a mistake by the QB to throw it. It's more like the QB anticipated that KA would vacate the area, but KA was not fooled. Either way, teams saw the mistake on film and went away from that combo route because KA defended it well.

I would contend that KA was not "baiting" opponents, though it may appear so. Those were really a product of film study, recognition, and instinct. The plays in question are a combination route by WR's that have been around for 20+years. When the outside WR runs a slant, the inside WR follows. KA recognized this and just stayed in his area, then made the pick. Good recognition/ film study to anticipate the route, and a mistake by the QB to throw it. It's more like the QB anticipated that KA would vacate the area, but KA was not fooled. Either way, teams saw the mistake on film and went away from that combo route because KA defended it well.

I guess it's all on the semantics; I only refer to it as Pettine baiting opponents because in lieu if lining up a CB on the slot WR they just slice Kiko over there post-snap.

exactly. ILB is the QB of the D. And he is one of the best ILB's in the game, AS A ROOKIE!