OK, say the Bills draft at the 10 spot no later

BuffaloBaumer

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How many teams currently slated to make the playoffs have a 'perfectly fine, middle of the pack TE" starting for them right now?

1? Maybe 2? Out of 12!!!

All 8 teams in the last 4 super bowls had above average TEs, most had stud TEs.

This isn't 1984. TE is one of the most productive positions for an offense. If you looked at team results, you could easily make an argument that TE is the 2nd most important offensive position in the modern NFL, short of only QB.

What? I see Graham and Thomas as being great TEs on playoff teams. Gronk played amazing when he was in but they were going to be in the playoffs regardless and now he is out. Greg olsen and Vernon Davis are good as well.

But to the Super Bowl winners I would say that Dennis Pitta is probably not as good as chandler, The Packers didnt have a good TE and neither did the Giants..... Also Jimmy Graham wasnt even on the Saints their Super Bowl year. So I would say that all your Super Bowl talk is dead wrong.

biggest needs in order of impact (which position would create more wins):

#1- FRANCHISE QB ( EJ is not that guy) if peyton manning was the QB of this team, we would be 9-5 not 5-9.

#2- OT ( draft a LT and play him at RT, move Pears to LG) gives EJ more time and CJ/Freddy more space

#3- DT ( draft a NOSE TACKLE who can stop the run, move Dareus to DE)

#4- TE (weakest unit on team)

#5- OLB ( Hughes and Lawson are ok, but after that moats & bradham stink)

#6- WR (is a need, but not more than #1 - 5)

more than likely a franchise QB willl not be worth using our 10th overall pick for (usual run of QB's before we pick), but a LT will be there.

Greg Robinson OT Auburn

Taylor Lewan OT Michigan

Louis Nix III DT Notre Dame

Khalil Mack OLB U Buffalo (likely gone)

Eric Ebron TE North Carolina

Brett Hundley QB UCLA

#1- FRANCHISE QB ( EJ is not that guy) if peyton manning was the QB of this team, we would be 9-5 not 5-9.

If rookie peyton manning was the QB of this team we would be 2-12 not 5-9.

This is all hypothetical of course it is nonsense

My point entirely. :thumbsup:

Edit:

Actually I was also hoping to make the point that comparing a 10 game rookie's outcome to a future HOFers outcome is ridiculous as well.

Edited by Dibs

My point entirely. :thumbsup:

Edit:

Actually I was also hoping to make the point that comparing a 10 game rookie's outcome to a future HOFers outcome is ridiculous as well.

and my points are:

#1- if the current Bills team had a FRANCHISE QB (TOP 10) our record would be 9-5 or better.

#2- no other position offers a better WAR (wins above replacement) than the QB position.

#3- after 10 games & 300 passes, in my opinion, EJ will NEVER be a franchise QB.

#4- QB's can make a huge impact. in andrew lucks rookie year, his team improved by 9 wins. in RG III's rookie year his team improved by 5 wins.

#5- this year GB's offense is ranked #3rd with rodgers and #28th without him.

#6- it's a QB driven league, no other position comes close to it's importance.

#7- until you have a Franchise QB, you are either spinning your wheels or completely wasting your time trying to fix things around a mediocre QB.

I don't see this team getting gashed up the middle, I see off tackle runs and I see plays where containment is lost. I'd put DT low on my list. The others you listed are viable IMO.

Nix should be the pick and then 2 offensive line guys to help keep Manuel safe..

#2- OT ( draft a LT and play him at RT, move Pears to LG) gives EJ more time and CJ/Freddy more space

more than likely a franchise QB willl not be worth using our 10th overall pick for (usual run of QB's before we pick), but a LT will be there.

Greg Robinson OT Auburn

Taylor Lewan OT Michigan

Brett Hundley QB UCLA

This would be a great draft see above. I agree 100 % Nice job..

I would trade down again.

Me too, pick up another second again...look at what we did last year with two seconds...Woods and Alonso

Greg Robinson OT Auburn

Taylor Lewan OT Michigan

Brett Hundley QB UCLA

This isn't Madden, you don't take a 6' 8" tackle and move him to guard...totally different positions, totally different skill sets

I would as well so let's hope someone needs a QB when we pick (and one drops to us). No way the Bills are taking one in the first anyway.....

Yeah, EJ's only been injured 3 times in his rookie year. It shows he's durable and we don't need any backup plan. I mean, this whole season has been a lesson in "we're totally fine at the QB position this year."

I would normally say that drafting a QB again 1st round would be nonsense, however:

1. EJ does appear to be slightly injury prone.

2. Just bc we draft a QB high doesnt mean that we are giving up on EJ. It means we're constantly looking for ways to improve and get better as a team.

3. EJ will have every opportunity to start week 1 of 2014. Drafting a QB this year wont prevent that. However, drafting a QB high this year might put some pressure on EJ to perform. In year 2 of his career, maybe that wouldnt be such a bad thing? He had 0 pressure to perform this season as a rookie, as the job was clearly his.

4. If EJ doesnt rise up to the occassion next year, maybe the rookie QB we draft will? If EJ does rise up to the occassion, then we groom QB #2 for backup duties or trade him 2 yrs from now once we already are certain of EJ.

In short, unless you have a QB like brees, rivers, eli, rodgers, ryan, and about 8-10 other QBs, i dont think the idea of drafting a QB high in back to back years should be dismissed. In many ways, its a win-win

I wouldnt, I would trade up. Try to get Mike Evans and Mack or another LB. Also wouldnt mind any offensive linemen or a TE

On second thought.

Trade our first for clevelands 1st rounder from indy and their second rounder. Maybe swap thirds as well. But if we have all those picks I would mind trading our 2nds to move up into the first to take a TE. Then hope that wherever that Indy pick winds up we can get one of the top three WRs.

Trading up is generally a bad idea in the draft unless you are doing so to get a quarterback.

I'm not sure how we could "try to get Mike Evans and Mack" as both will likely be top-fifteen picks.

I am always in favor of trading down, especially if it is from something like 10th to 16th-21st. An extra second round pick means that, if you draft competently, you are have a far greater chance to get a cheap impact player like Alonso or Woods. I'd like to trade down with, say, the Colts, grab one of the top tight ends, and then pick up an offensive lineman and linebacker in the second.