Should the Bills draft a LT and switch Glenn to LG?

Jerry Jabber

Should the Bills draft a LT and switch Glenn to LG?  

148 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Bills draft a LT and switch Glenn to LG?

I must watching a different Bills team than the rest of you. The Cody Glenn I've watched has been average to good but not playing at an elite all-pro level people are suggesting. If a stud LT is available in the draft when the Bills pick AND he looks the part in training camp, I would definitely kick Glenn to LG where he could be dominant instead of average to good.

You must have been watching a different one. PFF had him as the 3rd ranked LT last I saw. That was while playing next to the worst LGs in the league.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The loss of Levitre still kills me everytime I watch our CJ underachieve and Tennessee's CJ overachieve. I wish this team would start paying the guys that we score on in drafts instead of letting them walk away the second it's time to give them the long term deal. I think the Whaley regime is going to get that straight though. At least I hope.

I agree 100% Levitre was a roadgrater as he leveled defenders when he got to the 2nd level, which opened huge holes in the run game. Plus, not resigning Joe D'Allessandris was a huge mistake as well.

Edited by Jerry Jabber

I agree 100% Levitre was a roadgrater as he leveled defenders when he got to the 2nd level, which opened huge holes in the run game. Plus, not resigning Joe D'Allessandris was a huge mistake as well.

But that doesnt explain Johnsons worst year EVER. Also why didnt we resign the undrafted rookie who filled in for wood last year? There is no way he could be a worse option at LG right now or move wood to LG and have that kid play center.

But that doesnt explain Johnsons worst year EVER. Also why didnt we resign the undrafted rookie who filled in for wood last year? There is no way he could be a worse option at LG right now or move wood to LG and have that kid play center.

In regards to "Johnson", are you referring to Stevie Johnson? If so, what does LG have to do with SJ?

you just agreed that Tennessee CJ was overacheiving.... did you read the post that you said "I agree 100%" to.....

Sorry, I didn't know which Johnson you were referring to. For players like Reggie Bush, Spiller, and C. Johnson (small, speedy RB's), they need good O-lines to open up holes for them as they are not big bruising RB's that can smash their way through.

Sorry, I didn't know which Johnson you were referring to. For players like Reggie Bush, Spiller, and C. Johnson (small, speedy RB's), they need good O-lines to open up holes for them as they are not big bruising RB's that can smash their way through.

So why are you agreeing that levitre is so important when Chris Johnson is having the worst year of his career? Spiller has been hurt most of the year and is having a better year than Johnson.....

So why are you agreeing that levitre is so important when Chris Johnson is having the worst year of his career? Spiller has been hurt most of the year and is having a better year than Johnson.....

What I agreed about was the difference Levitre made in the run game during his time in Buffalo. I don't watch the Titans and don't care to either. I have no clue how the rest of the Titans O-line looks and don't give a damn. Ever since the Music City Nightmare, I hope that team loses every game they play! So if you're such a big Titans/C. Johnson fan, go on their board.

IMO, it was a huge mistake in letting Levitre walk and not resigning Joe D'Allessandris as the O-line coach.

So you didnt agree 100% with that then. Also we are still 7th in the league in rushing, with CJ being hurt most of the season. I would say levitre would have helped but I dont think it would have been that big of a difference. I also dont think he was worth the money he got. We will fill the hole in free agency, we should have before but they messed up.

So you're saying that Spiller is having the same type of success running the ball this year, (especially on the left side of the field) as he did last year?

In regards to being 7th in the league in rushing, that’s due mainly to the fact that we’ve run the ball more than anyone else – at 4.2 YPC, which is the more telling stat on how effectively you’re running it, we’re 17th in the league. We haven’t run the ball well consistently this season.

So you're saying that Spiller is having the same type of success running the ball this year, (especially on the left side of the field) as he did last year?

In regards to being 7th in the league in rushing, that’s due mainly to the fact that we’ve run the ball more than anyone else – at 4.2 YPC, which is the more telling stat on how effectively you’re running it, we’re 17th in the league. We haven’t run the ball well consistently this season.

I think Spillers struggles have more to do with injuries than they do with offensive line problems. Run blocking hasnt been that terrible. I would say Levitre would seriously help in our pass blocking because LG is a turnstile on passing downs.

Also we are at 4.3 yards per attempt and that is good for 10th in the league. So by all measures with our most dynamic back banged up for half the season we have still had a top ten rushing attack.

I think Spillers struggles have more to do with injuries than they do with offensive line problems. Run blocking hasnt been that terrible. I would say Levitre would seriously help in our pass blocking because LG is a turnstile on passing downs.

Also we are at 4.3 yards per attempt and that is good for 10th in the league. So by all measures with our most dynamic back banged up for half the season we have still had a top ten rushing attack.

The Bills lead the league in rushing attempts at 460: http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=2&season=2013&seasonType=REG&offensiveStatisticCategory=RUSHING&role=TM&d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-p=1&conference=ALL&d-447263-s=RUSHING_ATTEMPTS

The Bills are tied for 14th (with 5 other teams) for YPC (which is 4.2): http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=2&season=2013&seasonType=REG&offensiveStatisticCategory=RUSHING&role=TM&d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-p=1&conference=ALL&d-447263-s=RUSHING_AVERAGE_YARDS

Spiller's rushing average is 4.6 ypc (2nd lowest total in his 4 year career), which is down from 6.0 YPC last season and 5.2 the year prior. Granted, the leg injury has hampered him at times, but then again, the holes are not opening up for him as they did last year. http://www.nfl.com/player/c.j.spiller/497204/profile

IMO, if Levitre was still on the team, the Bills would be doing much better at running to the left side of the line than this season.

The Bills lead the league in rushing attempts at 460: http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=2&season=2013&seasonType=REG&offensiveStatisticCategory=RUSHING&role=TM&d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-p=1&conference=ALL&d-447263-s=RUSHING_ATTEMPTS

The Bills are tied for 14th (with 5 other teams) for YPC (which is 4.2): http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=2&season=2013&seasonType=REG&offensiveStatisticCategory=RUSHING&role=TM&d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-p=1&conference=ALL&d-447263-s=RUSHING_AVERAGE_YARDS

Spiller's rushing average is 4.6 ypc (2nd lowest total in his 4 year career), which is down from 6.0 YPC last season and 5.2 the year prior. Granted, the leg injury has hampered him at times, but then again, the holes are not opening up for him as they did last year. http://www.nfl.com/player/c.j.spiller/497204/profile

IMO, if Levitre was still on the team, the Bills would be doing much better at running to the left side of the line than this season.

Two different arguments. Of course the Bills would be better with Levitre. He is 1,000,000x better than the construction cones that have manned the position.

Should we move Glenn inside to replace him? No, draft a guard (I like Richardson in the 2nd) and move on.

The Bills lead the league in rushing attempts at 460: http://www.nfl.com/s...USHING_ATTEMPTS

The Bills are tied for 14th (with 5 other teams) for YPC (which is 4.2): http://www.nfl.com/s...G_AVERAGE_YARDS

Spiller's rushing average is 4.6 ypc (2nd lowest total in his 4 year career), which is down from 6.0 YPC last season and 5.2 the year prior. Granted, the leg injury has hampered him at times, but then again, the holes are not opening up for him as they did last year. http://www.nfl.com/p.../497204/profile

With all due respect, can you explain Chris Johnson yards per carry going from 4.5 last year to 3.7 this year with Levitre and a top 10 draft pick G? (Oh, I forgot ypc for rbs are pointless according to some here!) Levitre was far from a road grater. He was a very athletic guard who was great at pulling and getting out on screens. But he was hardly a dominant run blocker.

Two different arguments. Of course the Bills would be better with Levitre. He is 1,000,000x better than the construction cones that have manned the position.

Should we move Glenn inside to replace him? No, draft a guard (I like Richardson in the 2nd) and move on.

If Richardson is as good or better than Levitre was in Buffalo, than that would be a smart move.

We all know the LG position is a big area of need this offseason as the Bills haven't had good play from that spot all year. Instead of drafting a LG or signing one in free agency, should the Bills switch Glenn to LG and draft a LT in the early rounds of the draft? This is not to say that Glenn hasn't been doing a good job at LT. Earlier in the year on NFLN, Mike Mayock stated that he feels with Glenn's size, that if he made the transition to LG, that he could easily be a probowl guard. Your thoughts?

need a depends option. It depends on who we draft at LT and how good the rook is in training camp. It may be better to draft a skill position first round and grab a Guard latter as they can be had there.

With all due respect, can you explain Chris Johnson yards per carry going from 4.5 last year to 3.7 this year with Levitre and a top 10 draft pick G? (Oh, I forgot ypc for rbs are pointless according to some here!) Levitre was far from a road grater. He was a very athletic guard who was great at pulling and getting out on screens. But he was hardly a dominant run blocker.

Like I said previously, I don't watch the Titans and hope they lose every game ever since the Music City Nightmare, so I can't tell you how well the Titans Tackles, Guards & Centers are doing. From all the games I saw when Levitre was here, the Bills had a lot more success running to the left side of the O-line than they did the right side, as there were big holes on the left side of the line. I remember seeing Levitre going out and leveling defenders on a regular basis in the run game. Now, was that all on Levitre, D'Alessandris, Gailey, or a combination of the 3? I don't know that answer.

Edited by Jerry Jabber

I must watching a different Bills team than the rest of you. The Cody Glenn I've watched has been average to good but not playing at an elite all-pro level people are suggesting. If a stud LT is available in the draft when the Bills pick AND he looks the part in training camp, I would definitely kick Glenn to LG where he could be dominant instead of average to good.

On the contrary, from PFF

"- Tackle Cordy Glenn surrendered one or fewer combined pressures for the seventh time this season; part of the reason he’s our eight-highest graded left tackle on the season."

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/12/16/refo-bills-jaguars-week-15/

The guy was outstanding thru week 6 playing at a pro bowl level even with the very worst graded LG in the NFL next to him, and would get even a better grade with a better player next to him the other then backup center currently starting at LG.

Just keep Glenn at LT, and draft a RT & G in the first 3 rounds. Then look for another guard, and depth in free agency or move Pears inside to RG like some have mentioned.

Would you give the Chris Johnson evaluation with Levitre a rest? CJ2k was having difficulties long before Levitre arrived in Tenn, and the rest of that Titans line has a lot more problems then the LG.

"It wasn’t the cleanest game for the Tennessee offensive line, particularly at center and on the right side. Rookie center Brian Schwenke graded at -1.7 as a pass blocker due to his surrendering five hurries on 68 attempts. Warmack had his issues in pass protection as well, surrendering a sack to outside linebacker Matt Shaughnessy on a stunt in the middle of the fourth quarter to go with two other hurries. He also got pancaked as the lead blocker in the run game at the 11:18 mark of the first quarter as LB Daryl Washington put him on the ground. Finally, Stewart was the worst of the bunch grading at -2.1, as he gave up the two quick pressures from Campbell to go with three other hurries."

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/12/16/refo-cardinals-titans-week-15/

The Titans have a rookie starting at center and Levitre appears to be outplaying that #1 pick @ the 10 spot in Chance Warmack. RT David Stewart looks to be having some problems